• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    An Odd Finnish M27rv Cavalry Carbine

I've had this one for a while. One of my best decisions in life was to spend my post-deployment cash from one of my trips to Afghanistan on rifles instead of a new car. Turned out to be a pretty good investment. Regardless, M27rv's have a certain mystique within the Finnish collecting community. They command high prices, usually $3k+, and are surprisingly not that rare. I caveat the "not that rare" part because I collect serial numbers and there are over 70 existing M27rv's in the United States alone. The problem for collectors is desirability, and it is off the charts for the M27rv.

For an M27rv to reach maximum value, the following details typically need to be correct/present: correct stock, hand guard, and fittings/stock disc/cleaning rod/correct style matching bolt. Correct slings for these are unobtanium.

M27rv's had a comparatively small production run compared to the rifle they derived from (about 2,200 manufactured in comparison to about 70,000 M27's). Of those M27rv's, only 304 survived until 1960 to be imported to the US through Interarmco. To think that 70+ (and I think more are out there waiting to be found) survive out of those 304 is actually a pretty high survival rate for a handy rifle that probably made a good hunting rifle almost 60 years ago.

My M27rv is somewhat bastardized. The Finns never built replacement parts for the M27rv, and the model exhibits a unique stock, cleaning rod, modified hand guard, and barrel band. My example appears to have a field modified stock that was once on an M27 and cut down. When I took it out of the wood several years ago the new cuts for the nose cap were quite crude. The hand guard is also improvised, but the barrel band is correct. The bolt is correct and the winged connector even matches. The correct cleaning rod (shorter than a M27 rod) is also present. Overall I am happy with my example, but would love to find a nicer one. We can all dream can't we?

Attachments

• M27rv Barrel.jpg
      M27rv Barrel.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 542
    • M27rv Bolt serial.jpg
      M27rv Bolt serial.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 574
    • IMG_4941.jpg
      IMG_4941.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 519
    • M27rv Side left.jpg
      M27rv Side left.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 592
    • M27rv Side right.jpg
      M27rv Side right.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 601
    • M27rv Forestock right.jpg
      M27rv Forestock right.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 546
    • M27rv Forestock left.jpg
      M27rv Forestock left.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 540
    • IMG_4944.jpg
      IMG_4944.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 620
    • IMG_4933.jpg
      IMG_4933.jpg
      117 KB · Views: 556
    • IMG_4931.jpg
      IMG_4931.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 575
    Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks for the pics!! A big hole in my Finn collection. But at over $3K, that hole will likely always be there. Kids, mortgage, and life took care of that awhile ago. Though I'm always on the lookout for one in pawn shop or LGS.

I do own some Russians and Finns examples that are now worth in the $2K-$4K range - but I certainly didn't pay that much!!! Thankfully, I don't have to fight the many deep-pocketed collectors out there in present market.

Thanks again for the write up and pictures!!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for the pics!! A big hole in my Finn collection. But at over $3K, that hole will likely always be there. Kids, mortgage, and life took care of that awhile ago. Though I'm always on the lookout for one in pawn shop or LGS.

I do own some Russians and Finns examples that are now worth in the $2K-$4K range - but I certainly didn't pay that much!!! Thankfully, I don't have to fight the many deep-pocketed collectors out there in present market.

I knew you'd find this thread interesting!! Always found RVs interesting, even if I've never had the opportunity to acquire one.
    I'm in the same boat. Getting so close to retirement that I'm starting to throttle back on acquisitions. Besides, the bucket list has gotten mighty short. Also glad that most of my collection was acquired before prices shot up.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA

Glad you enjoyed it. I thankfully bought it before I started my family. From my experience the M27rv is probably the hardest Finn, along with M24's and M28's, to find in "original" configuration and all original matching. They just saw too much use and there was no official repair program or parts for them after the war ended.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Glad you enjoyed it. I thankfully bought it before I started my family. From my experience the M27rv is probably the hardest Finn, along with M24's and M28's, to find in "original" configuration and all original matching. They just saw too much use and there was no official repair program or parts for them after the war ended.

Agreed. Now, as an official Civil Guard hound, I specialize in M24s and M28s (28/30s being already too pricey for me at $400 back when I started about ten years ago).

Of all my Finns, my original matiching/condition M24 is my favorite. I also own a bunch of all original M28s.

Of all the rare Finns out there that I DONT own, the only one I truly miss for the collection is the small Sako gear wheel M28. I'd love a shot at one of those!

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    thank you for the pictures. the little details are what I like best. if I were to collect, this is where I'd probably start, not into collecting, but love looking at these old rifles.

any way to find one for under a thousand?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I’m looking for the late variation M28 with the small logo on the top of the barrel. NOT the civilian sales with large logo on top (my example of that is the prettiest one I’ve seen...so far ;)).

The small logo M28 type I’m looking for also has the M28-30 barrel profile. These >may< have even been pre-production M28-30 barrels (MY theory-no proof to this, though).

I know where two of them are, but the present owners won’t come off of them...even when I offer M27rv money :mad54:
    This has been the top want for my collection for YEARS!!!

I’ve included a stock pic from Mosinnagant.net to show what I’m trying to explain.

Attachments

• 1F092D08-C762-4013-B1F2-09048AB42414.jpeg
      1F092D08-C762-4013-B1F2-09048AB42414.jpeg
      15.8 KB · Views: 283
    Jul 1, 2012
    If you happen upon a yard sale in Oakland, Maine and the 94-year old home owners ate selling things the kept in their attic since 1964, you might find one for $1,000

You never can tell, crazy stuff shows up on GB and other online sites, in shops, etc improperly identified.
    I've seen dealers unwittingly sell things way too cheap as well. "It" happens.
    That's where knowledge, persistence and patience and luck come into play :)

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    There seem to be a lot of M/27rv cleaning rods and Bayonets in Finland. I know there are also rifles left there. A friend of mine has a couple and another one has one. My guess is most of the 304 still survive as do the accessories from the others. I have only seen one sling not attached to a rifle and 3 with the rifles (fourth is original put together).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom