• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    Is there any place one can go to shoot outdoors that isn't an outdoor shooting range, that won't get you arrested or harassed by people or police?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't even 'shoot for fun' on my hunting farms. I go to ranges. OP, what is your local? Very often, there are ranges nearby you can either join or pay to shoot...for fun.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maryland Law requires permission of the Land Owner to shoot.

This and for public land, there is no permission coming unless it is hunting and you are following seasons, blah, blah, blah.

Some counties you can shoot on private land if you have the land owner’s permission.

Basically these days in this state unless you know a person it’s a range or nothing.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    think the website is motocove.com. the cove, west of winchester, has a range of sorts that is pretty casual. outdoors, no lanes or anything.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    There are a few outdoor ranges within the George Washington National Forest. The closest one is about a 3.5 hour drive from Montgomery County. Not worth it for a single trip, but a nice spot if you happen to be down there for another purpose in the forest.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    +1 for motocove, haven't shot there but have ridden many times, great technicals and rocks for a go fast atv.

rode quads there a few years back, will never ride there again, rock (boulder) city, just beat the crap out of us.

went there yesterday to their range. they cleaned it up a lot, used to be pretty literally a dump, shot up tv's etc. they have benches out and maybe 8-10 big steel plates, plus of course you can set up targets, clays, etc. i forgot my rangefinder but the RO said it didn't quite go out to 100 yds.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Is there any place one can go to shoot outdoors that isn't an outdoor shooting range, that won't get you arrested or harassed by people or police?

Well, Elk Neck State Park has a shooting range. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. It's still a range, but is on public land. I haven't gone there (too far to drive for me), but have heard it's decent. 100 yard rifle/shotgun range, 50 yard pistol range, plus archery range and a sheet range (but no thrower provided).

From the photos, the range facilities look well maintained. Annual pass runs you $50 ($25 if you're 62 or older), or $10 for a day pass. Cheaper than any private shooting facility.

On the website I linked above, scroll down to "Shooting Range" near the bottom of the page for details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom