• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    One small "NIT" on the "how to apply" title of the thread, regarding question #22 on page 7 of the application, if you DID SERVE in ther military, you would want to answer YES and don't forget to provide a copy of your DD214 as they ask for it.

This could be one of those "gotcha's" for guys who served and don't answer correctly or provide a copy of the DD214. It clearly says oin your DD214 "Character of Service" and you want that to say HONORABLE.

On the example form it has #22 marked NO, and that is also a correct answer, if you never served obviously. I know how easy it is to follow an example form and just put what it says, but if you did serve (and that will show up on the back round check) and said no, that might be grounds for a simple "NO" for your app as it may "seem" like you are hiding something, like a Dishonorable discharge.

If you did serve and DON'T have a DD214, GET a copy of yours BEFORE you apply, else I am sure they will kick your app back and take your money.

Take your time and double check your papers before you send them in. A simple mistake might be all they need to refuse your application.

Just FYI------

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Did you all just place your pictures inside the application and NOT staple them to the form? I don't want them to be separated from the form.

I would not staple them. Paper clip them or put then in a small envelope with "Passport Photos for "My Full Name"" written on the envelope as part of your package.

They do not say it, but I AM writting my full name on the back of both pictures so if they were to get mixed up, they know who's they are. For my Florida application, they specifically tell you to do that FWIW. Make sure you don't write so hard it shows "lines" on the picture side.

Just My opinion.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Ok here's a good one, question 23 page 7, have you ever been employed as a police officer. I was technically employed as an officer for about a month before starting thru the academy, I was in the academy for a week or two and then resigned returning to my old job, during the time before the academy I did administrative type stuff, (paperwork, answering phone calls, logging things into the computer system ect.) of course I had no police powers, How should I answer question 23?

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Ok here's a good one, question 23 page 7, have you ever been employed as a police officer. I was technically employed as an officer for about a month before starting thru the academy, I was in the academy for a week or two and then resigned returning to my old job, during the time before the academy I did administrative type stuff, (paperwork, answering phone calls, logging things into the computer system ect.) of course I had no police powers, How should I answer question 23?

Were you sworn at any time? If so, I'd say yes. If not, no. In either case, I'd make a note of it on page 10 just to be thorough. Not a lawyer or LEO, but that's my guess.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

I would say Where you sworn in as an officer of the law? I would say thats what makes you an official police officer.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I mailed in the application this morning. I had my fingerprinting done at Absolute Investigative Services on Joppa in Towson. They were very friendly and the whole process was painless, they have a notary as well, so that saved me a trip. It was $57.25 for the scan and $4 for the notary. I did the photos at CVS for $8 with the coupon. I'd recommend it for anybody in the Towson area. I didn't want to drive down to Glen Burnie. Thanks for the John Doe app, it was helpful!

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Just sent mine in, same thing, used MARI 1202 West Street Annapolis for my LiveScan. Photo's, Notary and Live Scan at MARI in 10 min, cost-64.25 then mailed in the package with the 75 dollar check.

Lots of guys doing it. There was a guy there when I walked in and the owner said he has seen a LARGE influx of folks applying!

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I sent mine in this morning. Went to Mid-Atlantic Regional Investigations on West St in Annapolis. In and out in 15min. Got pictures taken, prints done and Notary all in one shot. Cost was 64.25 out the door. Great guys, very friendly and helpful.
    Now the wait begins.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    the owner said he has seen a LARGE influx of folks applying!
    I'd like to know how many applications have been sent since the ruling and how big of a jump the influx is compared to historical averages. Just cause I'm curious like that :)

I'm getting printed monday, app mailed NTL Tuesday. I may do some sort of priority delivery to make sure the MSP has my app prior to next Friday's hearing.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    I sent mine in this morning. Went to Mid-Atlantic Regional Investigations on West St in Annapolis. In and out in 15min. Got pictures taken, prints done and Notary all in one shot. Cost was 64.25 out the door. Great guys, very friendly and helpful.
    Now the wait begins.

You must have been the guy that was leaving when I came in!

Concur, these guys were super friendly.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    I'd like to know how many applications have been sent since the ruling and how big of a jump the influx is compared to historical averages. Just cause I'm curious like that :)

I'm getting printed monday, app mailed NTL Tuesday. I may do some sort of priority delivery to make sure the MSP has my app prior to next Friday's hearing.

If you use Priority mail and get it out early tuesday morning, it will be there by Friday easy. Do tracking as well so you can PROVE when it was delivered.

It was 5.90 cents for mine I sent in today to send it Priority mail with tracking. My reciept says "expected delivery tomorrow". I used the Kiosk at my local eastport post office and used Flat Rate Priority mail envelope. Too easy!

Of course none of this guarantees anything, but it is nice to be thorough.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    FINGER PRINTING

2012 Finger Printing Rules from the Licensing Division can be found here:
    MD Licensing Division 2012 Finger Printing Rules.A.pdf

As of March 16, 2012 they will no longer accept inked finger print cards.
    This means you will need to go to a location that uses/supports Live Scan/CJIS. This technology takes a digital image of your fingerprints and directly uploads them into the database.
    You will be given a special receipt when you use Live Scan, this receipt should also be attached in your application packet when you submit it, make a copy of the receipt for your records, send the ORIGINAL in with your Application.

Finger Printing Info can be found here, courtesy of Inigoes: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=77747

Live Scan / CJIS locations: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publics...gerprint.shtml

Might I suggest to be added....Non-residents can continue to use Ink Prints even beyond the March 16 date.

For photos....can write name on back of photos to help keep things together.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I think that the statement below "Who May Apply" for MD CCW is instructive and helps to answer some of the difficult to interpret questions on the application. A number of people have raised questions in this regard:

WHO MAY APPLY

The Secretary of State Police shall, pursuant to Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Code Ann. §5-306, Qualifications for Permit, issue a permit to a person who the Secretary finds:

1. Is an adult (18 years of age or older);

2. has not been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than one (1) year has been imposed;

3. has not been convicted of crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;

4. is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless the habitual use of the controlled dangerous substance is under legitimate medical direction; and

5. based on an investigation; has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or to another; and has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.

The Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Code Ann. §5-301, Handgun Permits, and applicable case law, guides the Maryland State Police when processing applications and issuing Handgun Permits. Based on the guidance provided, Handgun Permits may be issued to applicants based on the below circumstances.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County

Can someone explain why it is beneficial to get the app in before the hearing? I don't see how this makes an impact one way or another.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    How many submitted ALL the papers in the application download file to the MSP? I know one person on a thread said that they submitted all the papers, not just certain ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom