• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What is the most common caliber most of you all see Rolling Blocks chambered in? I've always wanted one, never pulled the trigger so to speak. I know the 43 Spanish ammo is somewhat available, 7mm and .45-70 obviously are too. I just want one which I would be able to shoot.

.45-70 would be preferable to go with my Sharps.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I know very little about them but they do make one in .22lr and i think that would be a great one to have due to the cheap ammo. Another i have considered is getting a Uberti in 45/70 or getting a Remington RB in 43 spanish and talking to a smith like the guy at duffys about changing it to something like 357 or 44 mag.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    There is a lot of rolling block info available on line, just search it. From a simplistic standpoint, they were made in 3 major categories/timeframes:

(1) black powder cartridge era
    (2) smokeless powder cartridge era
    (3) modern smomeless era

Rimfire exists in at least the latter 2. Exceptions include Swedish in category (1) above which were remanufa tured to category (2). However, you really need to research this yourself.

As to the OP question of caliber, what WAS most common versus what IS most common has varied over the years. Many RB rifles were made, many of them were later modified including caliber changes. Go down the interweb rabbit hole with Remington rolling block search.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Pedersoli makes some in .45-70. I've seen some (and originals) at gun shows. That's the caliber I'd choose (and someday, I will ;) ) I've been told .43 Spanish is expensive to feed. I'm betting there was a government (not American, obviously) contract for them in .43 Spanish, because just about every original musket configured rolling block I've ever seen is in that caliber.

Are you looking for repro or original?

For any of the big black powder cartridge rifles out there, .45-70 is probably the best entry level choice, especially if you don't have a preference and just want to shoot it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since this is the C&R subforum , and you mentioned .43 Spanish , are you speaking of Originals , or modern reproductions ? ( Which themselves break down into custom rifles/ actions from small US makers, and mass market imports .

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Since this is the C&R subforum , and you mentioned .43 Spanish , are you speaking of Originals , or modern reproductions ? ( Which themselves break down into custom rifles/ actions from small US makers, and mass market imports .

Ideally I'd like something original - these seem more financially achievable in original form that a Sharps. My Sharps is a Pedersoli reproduction.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've been trolling for a WWI French issue RB in 8mm Lebel and in the process I see a lot of South American issued examples in 7mm.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Swedish Remingtons are available at Simpson's and Allan's Armory. The Swedes bought the original actions from Remington and built their own rifles using crappy wood. The original 12.7x44R can be rimfire or centerfire, most were converted to centerfire, and some in 8x58. The 8x58 were reheat treated before the Swedish Army rebarreled them. Not sure if Gustav or Husqvarna did the work, maybe both.
    There's information for reloading both cartridges is on the web. Also, they're Remington receivers or later made exact clones so standard Rollingblock threads to rebarrel.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've been trolling for a WWI French issue RB in 8mm Lebel and in the process I see a lot of South American issued examples in 7mm.

Reportedly the British Navy also supplied Rolling Blocks in 303 to small auxiliary vessel crews during WWI. Things like tenders and tugs. I've never seen one, just read about them in Brit shooting mags.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Reportedly the British Navy also supplied Rolling Blocks in 303 to small auxiliary vessel crews during WWI. Things like tenders and tugs. I've never seen one, just read about them in Brit shooting mags.

I saw the same thing but Wikipedia said 7mm

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Been watching GunBroker. Not seeing anything original in .45-70 crop up. Thinking if I want one I'll have to go the repro route like my Sharps.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Been watching GunBroker. Not seeing anything original in .45-70 crop up. Thinking if I want one I'll have to go the repro route like my Sharps.

Hold your dollars a minute...at least till you can check out the York gun show this weekend.:innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Original Rolling Blocks in .45-70 would have been commercial sporting rifles . They are undoubtedly out there, but less common than .44-77', etc .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't forget the huge MACA show in Timonium on Mar 16/17. Should be more than a few to check out.

That is where I am going
    So US military issued Tolling blocks were 44-77?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom