• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With the upcoming possible AR-15 HBAR ban, anyone have any thoughts or opinions on a good Maryland legal semi-auto that takes AR-15 magazines? A pic rail on top would be nice to mount a red dot or scope.

Ideally under $1000. Doesn’t have to be the sharpest shooting rifle in the universe, but I’d like better than boardside of barn accuracy.

If the ban comes down I may SBR my AR. Also I have an AR pistol and most of my lowers have never been built, so I can build them as pistols.

But anyway, thoughts?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    With the upcoming possible AR-15 HBAR ban, anyone have any thoughts or opinions on a good Maryland legal semi-auto that takes AR-15 magazines? A pic rail on top would be nice to mount a red dot or scope.

Ideally under $1000. Doesn’t have to be the sharpest shooting rifle in the universe, but I’d like better than boardside of barn accuracy.

If the ban comes down I may SBR my AR. Also I have an AR pistol and most of my lowers have never been built, so I can build them as pistols.

But anyway, thoughts?

I have a feeling if that HBAR ban hits plus the LGQL pretty much think most semi-autos will be a pain to own. I would also expect them to look at all ARs

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a feeling if that HBAR ban hits plus the LGQL pretty much think most semi-autos will be a pain to own. I would also expect them to look at all ARs

I still think the lack of grandfathering was an accident. I don’t think it occurred to them that just removing the exclusion wouldn’t allow grandfathering for tens of thousands of Marylanders who own HBARs.

“We want all AR-15s banned. Oh, well if we just remove the exclusion language from FSA2013 that’ll do it”.

Some of the lib legislators aren’t going to care, but some will. So I do expect it is likely to be amended to allow 10/2013-10/2019 grandfathering. Or the bill will just get
    dropped (for now). The push is on ghost guns this session from what I have been told. We need to fight everything, but I don’t think that the committee chairs, leadership or most of the rank and file are going to put up much fight on other anti gun laws this session.

I am not relying on it happening. Which is why I am trying to educate, register my opposition, donate and have backup plans (I already tried voting and my preferred candidate missed getting elected by a couple of hundred votes).

I have no doubt they will make Semi-autos more of a pain to own as time goes on unless SCOTUS gets its act together. But as it stands, if they make hoops, I will jump through them as long as I can.

PS so my hope is they just shelve this and never bring it back up. Failing that, they change it to allow grandfathering and that’s it for the end of time (until a pro 2A SCOTUS strikes them down). But if they don’t, I want some way to own a semi-auto in .223. Ideally that takes AR mags as I already have a stack of them and I’ve been thinking of getting a Ruger American in .223 also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are worried, send in your Form 1.

And buy more

Make pistols.

Move out of this state. :D

And remember, piston rifles are legal. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you are worried, send in your Form 1.

And buy more

Make pistols.

Move out of this state. :D

And remember, piston rifles are legal. :D

Likely on the first one.

I’d love to, but my wife’s patients is past the breaking point and I do already have plenty for a life time.

Have with one, can only make one out of another (rest a already made in to rifle’s originally or have fixed stocks (GWACS)).

Can’t/won’t. Not till the kids are out of school at the soonest and probably not till I retire. Though if I can land a federal job in Alaska, consider it a done deal.

Ugh. Piston ARs. Least desirable option :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom