Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Generally, Spyderco is a brand that has never been appealing to me. Just don't like the style. Although I did buy a Schempp Tuff to diversify my collection of "collectibles".

I am coming around to them and am considering the Tenacious as my "starter" EDC Spyderco.

The thing with Spyderco is they make a knife for just about every purpose, but still keep some common design elements, there really isn't much that matches their ergonomics either. They use a lot of exotic materials, and have a lot of limited production "sprint" runs. You could spend years and thousands of dollars collecting the dozens of variant of a single model, choose collabaration models from custom Makers like Peter Rassenti or Ed Schempf, or get something in ridiculous steel like Maxamet for very reasonable prices.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    IMG_1422.jpg

One of my favorites is my Kershaw Knockout. About $44 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0RUCXK/

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The thing with Spyderco is they make a knife for just about every purpose, but still keep some common design elements, there really isn't much that matches their ergonomics either. They use a lot of exotic materials, and have a lot of limited production "sprint" runs. You could spend years and thousands of dollars collecting the dozens of variant of a single model, choose collabaration models from custom Makers like Peter Rassenti or Ed Schempf, or get something in ridiculous steel like Maxamet for very reasonable prices.

I knew they made a lot of knives but not this. Are there any other brands that have that level of diversity and selection?

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    I am a true fan of the Victorinox pioneer (or soldier 1965) and more recently its brother the pioneer x (with scissors). They have served me well for decades and are consistently well made. Additionally the lifetime warranty is that. Victorinox will make you happy, maybe you have to reach out to Victorinox in Switzerland, but the Elsinors stand by their product. You should be able to find pioneers or a pioneer x for under $50. Only the special editions or the soldier versions would cost more.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You won't go wrong w/ Tenacious that is #3 of 4 in the same family and my favorite size. Yes, I have all four flavors, Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C148G/Ambitious-G-10-Black/622

Tenacious is a great bargain knife and legal for EDC everywhere 3.38” blade (I travel all over the Northeast where laws and common sense vary widely). Have had the Police model for years as well, great knife but too big for carry in some locales.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Just got a Svord peasant knife for about $15. With the tang, I can open & close it while wearing gloves. Ugly grinds however, respectably sharp out of the box (well bag...)

Attachments

• 4B9756A1-76C5-48BB-9C7C-776F5618D1D2.jpg
      4B9756A1-76C5-48BB-9C7C-776F5618D1D2.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 255

mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    I love my spyderco tenacious. It was under $50 but I have since gotten a purple anodized low ride pocket clip and backspacer from Ebay a few years back that was $54

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom