• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Picked this guy up yesterday at a local shop for $400. Kind of a buyers remorse for not picking one up at the York show and also because it called to me. Bore was dark with sharp rifling, stock was decent showing some use and wear. For the most part the numbers match but it does have the arsenal rebuilt numbers electro penciled as well on the hidden parts. Receiver number showed it was built in 1977 (N 56xxxxx).

DSC01983_zps6aa87227.jpg

DSC01980_zpsed729094.jpg

DSC01982_zps4e9e13c4.jpg

It does have one crack that I want to figure out a safe repair for. Thinking 3/16" pin and glue?
    DSC01981_zpsfd02adfd.jpg

I took it out last night after spending a couple hours cleaning the rest of the cosmoline out and it would not cycle correctly. The bolt would come back about an inch but that was all. One thing I had noticed during the cleaning was the gas tube was loose and after searching the web that it seemed to be a common problem with these. Mine had @.060" axial movement and @.030" radial movement. Guys would wrap a paperclip around the valve of swage it with a ball bearing until the tube fit better. I didn't have ball bearing the correct size but did have a bunch of 1/4" drive sockets and found one that fit well and worked great to resize the valve.

DSC01979_zpsee22004b.jpg

Once resized the tube fit snugly so I hope to take it out this evening and get different results. Other than not cycling the rifle shot great and was more accurate than me vs. junk 4x4's and 2L soda bottles full of water.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You would be better off with a wood screw or two to repair that crack. Pre-drill the hole using the root dimension of the screw threads as your drill diameter. Screw it in with the head of the screw about an 1/8 of an inch away from the stock. Cut the screw head off and file the remaining part of the screw flush with the stock. Leave bright or hit it with some cold blue. You may have a tough time with glue due to all of the oil in the stock.

Good luck.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    That maybe a tough repair with glue as it appears you may have difficulty in opening it up a bit to get the glue in there. Epoxy with a syringe may work though. I have put glue in several Type 56's stocks that were smothered in cosmo and they all have held up just fine but I was easily able to get the cracks open to work on them. I have done the screw thing iH8DemLibz mentioned and worked well.

I have 4 Yugo's and like them a lot. Nice shooters. Once is in pristine shape so I have not shot that one and probably won't.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Cool, thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought about a screw. What size would you recommend?

In other news, swaging the grenade launch selector valve worked wonders and we went through 3 reloads without it missing a beat. We were up against a couple vicious bags of flower and a #10 can of rotten tomato juice for reactive targets and fun was had by all. The flower exploded nicely and the #10 can was impressive.

DSC01987_zpsda76b748.jpg

DSC01988_zps9c64f71e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom