• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Sorry if this dead horse has been beat to death, I couldn't find it in a thread.

My neighbor gave me a 20 year old Maverick 88 in trade for making a new quieter muffler for his '91 Ninja. Of course, the deal was struck and the bike was done before I saw the gun.

Here's a picture of the after shot. As in after I stripped it down, removed the rust and latex paint splotches, polished and re blued the barrel. Cleaned everything else and even gave it a coat of wax.

DSC01638_zpsab020086.jpg

Oddly enough, according to my neighbor the gun has only had a dozen or so rounds put through it because he stuck a pistol grip on it and it hurt his hand.

So the question is if you had to chose a replacement stock which would you chose? Recoil reducing is a plus.

I have one of the ATI talon side folders on the kids 10/22 and like it's feel. Just hoping to get a review on it or any other stocks out there.

As the Maverick shares a lot of Mossberg parts I expect this gun will serve from home defense to a deer slug gun and maybe some trap stuff down the road.

Any help is appreciated,
    Jamie

Last edited:

ziptiespec

I'm pretty sure (and the internet corroborates) that a Mav 88 = a Mossy 500. I have a Mossy 500 and I put a Phoenix Tactica KickLite stock on it. Best. Upgrade. Evar.

Seriously, this thing wore me out before, even with target loads. First, I found the original stock to be too short for my frame and the namby-pamby recoil pad didn't do much for recoil. With the KickLite I can have a longer stock that better fits my frame (or shorter, if my wife is shooting) and the recoil absorbing feature is great as well. It's made the gun so much nicer to shoot. Target loads, 00 buck, whatever. It's fantastic.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For a cheap option look at Speedfeed. They have a super soft recoil pad and the extra 4 oz. of weight from 4 shells helps to reduce it even more.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Interesting write up on the side folder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Folding...375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4174a33d5f

I have one on my sons 10/22 and as a lefty my trigger finger is sore after a hundred rounds or so from rubbing on the pivot point. Here's a pic for reference, the bottom pivot is down where my hand wants to be.
    282-3642-thickbox.jpg

The sights I'll make, need a good project for my mill. Figure I'll make a slip on combo breaching compensator / front sight for the end of the barrel. Making cool stuff is all part of the fun of ownership.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Right now I've got a ati side folder on with a recoil pad add on

59C16969-C8FC-471E-9C72-D492D841DF59-12717-00001283D8F7F559_zps8bd54d1c.jpg

It handles the recoil pretty good and slide release is still easily accessible

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Go to Boyd's and get a real stock and forearm for that Maverick 88 / Mossberg 500. If you prefer the commando look then please carry on.

Attachments

• rem870expmag20.jpg
      rem870expmag20.jpg
      16.5 KB · Views: 187
    • MOSSBERGTHUMBHOLE1.jpg
      MOSSBERGTHUMBHOLE1.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 212

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Boyd's are too nice for what's going to happen to this guy. :)

I have one of the grey collapsible ATI stocks coming. Today I managed to find some acrylic sight rods at NexGen hobby, all 4 for $5. Two are .060" and two a .090"

DSC01640_zps1aaa254d.jpg

These things are a real bear to get a decent picture of. Here's a shot showing how buggered my bead sight is and a blurry idea of what the larger .090" rod will look like:
    DSC01645_zpsad04c0ea.jpg

I also did some basic straight edge measuring to figure out how much of a riser I'll need on the barrel to get the front sight inline with a 9/16" peep sight in the rear. It looks like I'll need a 3/4" riser on the front sight.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Hogue makes a really nice rubber type of pistol grip. It says hogue tamer on the grip. . I can shoot mine all day and its fine.. way nicer than the hard plastic one that they come with

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Spent some time on the mill this evening after the fireworks and milled out a front sight out of plastic. It works surprisingly well with some ambient light. In the dark it's not that great but when I hold my $2 HF flashlight next to it it's very bright. I'll make a final one out of aluminum once I get the rear sight built and test it out. It took about 3 hours to draw and machine this one.

DSC01646_zps4f0a19a0.jpg

DSC01648_zps248448a5.jpg

DSC01650_zps9eba66a6.jpg

DSC01652_zpsd4cbe409.jpg

DSC01654_zps68b8577f.jpg

bulletdrop

Jul 23, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    I just built a Mav 88 28" barrel shotgun for a friend. I bought the Blackhawk Ind Spec Ops recoil reducing Gen II stock and fore end (Moss-500). I put a breacher barrel on it and a side saddle shell rack. Covered it in Duracoat Ultra-Flat OD green.... And then put a meprolight sight on the end. I also grip taped the slots on the fore end.. This thing is amazing now...You would never know it started life as an old Maverick. Send me PM w/ email if you want a pic for ideas.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Spent some of today working on an aluminum front sight but it didn't turn out like it should have. The mail chick did drop off the stock which went on pretty well. I ended up out at Home Depot and found some Rustoleum semi-gloss in anodized bronze and it was a close enough match. I painted the fore stock and front sight. I then cleared them in matte to flatten the sheen.

DSC01655_zps3e9f66a7.jpg

DSC01656_zps4dce84bd.jpg

I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far. I'm still going to make a flashlight holder and then the rear sight when I'm off again.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Shot it yesterday, not too impressed about the recoil suppression. Tall lanky guy but shoulder wasn't happy after 20 rounds. Going to retro the 'buffer tube' with a springy thingy and try again.

Dang thing is loud too, definitely has 'shock and awe' power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom