• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my69rox

Jan 17, 2013
    Westminster MD / Hanover PA
    Iagree , I just think while a young shooter do not make them lasy with a red dot or lasers , they need to learn the true sights then its second nature. Just saying what I feel , every one has there way .. but really nice gun I love my Ruger more than some of my 1500.00 guns.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Spent this evening at the folks place poking holes in cardboard with all three 10/22's and dads H+R handi rifle in 22 Hornet. Had a great time and everyone agreed that the Simmons scope sucked and a laser would make shooting with the stock folded a whole lot more accurate.

I had some Paypal money so about 30 minutes of eBay browsing on a Sunday night...

$46 http://www.ebay.com/itm/714124-Bush...9dZTKswq1K93gkcjzRNdE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

1110735307294040_1.jpg

$15 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sight-Mark-...9dZTKswq1K93gkcjzRNdE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

1211099064394040_1.jpg

The kid did good, both off a rest and bipod'd up on some cardboard so I figure the accessories are worth it.

Mar 20, 2013
    MOCO
    Wow - I guess I should have one more research. I like my 10/22 Take-down, but nowhere near as cool as folding stock, flash hider, and rail.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I didn't like the TD because it comes apart and I don't like the idea of the two halves plus the scope rattling around in the bag they give you. The side folder just folds and takes about 2 seconds to get full sized again.

We did get the laser in today and it's pretty badassed, especially when looking through the scope. Kind of like a very intense red dot. Hoping to get the scope tomorrow and maybe shoot it a bit Saturday evening.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Do any of the after-market tactical stock kits accept the standard, box-type 10-round factory magazines? I usually only see them pictured with banana mags and wondered if that was because the mag well is now too deep to reach a standard mag if installed.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Having built from scratch 4 or 5 10-22's now, I can tell you, the best BANG FOR THE BUCK for a trigger, is that Volquartsen trigger kit ( its actually a match hammer kit ) that Midway usually has on sale for only like $33. If you put that on, use all the proper springs they give you with it, take care to polish all contact points ( I like using Flitz w a dremel ) then you will get a GREAT 2 3/4 lb pull that is smooth. Now, it you can put a set screw in your trigger yourself, or buy one, Heirer's sells one for only $12, so, its worth it to me to save all the trouble hahahahaha, then you do away with the over travel in it.

I use to work on the factory trigger, but, if you take too much off, or change the geometry on it, well, you can run into some major problems, as well as reliability issues also. Kidd makes a $105 drop in kit, that I MAY try, although that is a bunch of money for the 10-22 right now for me, as I would rather spend it on my AR for a trigger :-).

Now, if you want to practice on using factory triggers, Heirer's also sells the factory triggers he takes off his new builds, never used for a good cheap price. He even sells packs of 5 of them. He is probably THE pre-eminent 10-22 builder in the US, but is a great guy and sells all his take off parts, new, for dirt cheap. Not sears though, hahhahah I have not seen new factory sears for sale at all, anywhere.....

KIDD makes such great parts, no matter which one it is :-) I use their bolt buffer which is a rubber piece that you install first then it has a small metal bar that slides into the middle to cushion yet provide strength that works well, for like $3.95 or something reasonable.

I am going to buy one of their barrels for my next build, as they are supposed to be the most accurate barrel for the buck also. They start with a Lothar Walther blank and do the rest themselves.

I used a Whistle Pig barrel for a CUSTOM I built for myself, but ended up selling to someone on this site as I needed the money right after losing my full time job over a year ago....:-(

I had ordered that barrel custom anodized, from medium blue at the front, to gun metal gray at the rear, and threaded. Then I Duracoated the receiver SIG 551 gray, had the VQ hammer kit + sear, Power Custom lever magazine release, Tactical Solutions Vantage stock, all stainless steel screws, KIDD Bolt, Cocking assembly , guide rod and custom tuned springs, Gunsmither V-block w tension screw, and a bunch of other stuff. I shot less than 100 rounds through it just to break it in, but was able to put like 10 shots into less than a 1/4 " hole at 25 yds. I know that is not a long distance but I did not have a scope powerful enough for my old eyes at any greater distance.

I believe that it is accurate enough to put 10 shots into a 1/2 inch or less at 50 and 100 yds given the right wind conditions. I use Wolf Target Match when I test for accuracy. That is the most accurate ammo for the money I have ever used.

I think that there are MORE after market parts for the 10-22 than there are for the AR....honestly, I was amazed when I found out about them 3-4 years ago. It is just incredible.

Jun 26, 2013
    ES,MD
    Thanks johnnyb. This is great info. I think I'll follow your advice on the Volquartsen trigger kit rather than try to do this myself w/ the stock parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom