Unassembled virgin frames being treated as pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was just curious whether unassembled virgin pistol frames were being treated as pistols these days by FFLs (eg, handgun roster). Was thinking about swapping my PF940C frame to something newer (pin walk), but not sure I want to deal with adding something to the roster.

(I get that a used pistol frame, like a factory G19 frame, is definitely transferred as a pistol.)

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Virgin receivers are always Other. The factory 100% PF940C has been rejected by the handgun roster board for being an incomplete firearm. Many stores in my area have them listed on their online inventory to transfer as virgin receivers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends on who. I bought a gen 3 frame that was shipped marked “other” and the MD FFL insisted 77r and “handgun”. Annoying, but I half expected that.

Their rationale is no way to know it really was a virgin gen 3 Glock frame.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was just curious whether unassembled virgin pistol frames were being treated as pistols these days by FFLs (eg, handgun roster). Was thinking about swapping my PF940C frame to something newer (pin walk), but not sure I want to deal with adding something to the roster.

(I get that a used pistol frame, like a factory G19 frame, is definitely transferred as a pistol.)

Every one I've seen on line require an FFL for shipping/transfer.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Timberwolf.aspx

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/glock-oem-frames-stripped-complete-g17-g19/

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Doesn't MD consider the frame "for" a handgun to be a handgun for state law purposes?

Depends on who. I bought a gen 3 frame that was shipped marked “other” and the MD FFL insisted 77r and “handgun”. Annoying, but I half expected that.

Their rationale is no way to know it really was a virgin gen 3 Glock frame.

If it has a normal serial number, it's a takeoff. A "G" prefix with four or so digits might be a virgin frame, but I've never seen one directly from Glock as one. I've only seen them as factory replacements sent back out as complete guns with the old slide and barrel on them.

He's wondering if the FFL can transfer them with just a 4473 and no wait or if the state considers them handguns needing an HQL and roster.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doesn't MD consider the frame "for" a handgun to be a handgun for state law purposes?

If it has a normal serial number, it's a takeoff. A "G" prefix with four or so digits might be a virgin frame, but I've never seen one directly from Glock as one. I've only seen them as factory replacements sent back out as complete guns with the old slide and barrel on them.

He's wondering if the FFL can transfer them with just a 4473 and no wait or if the state considers them handguns needing an HQL and roster.

Good info, thanks. Nope, mines a regular serial.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Every new handgun frame I have purchased was transferred only as a handgun. There was no other option since those model handguns have never been commercially available as a long gun. As explained to me by MSP many years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom