Votes: 77 75.5%
    • 45LC

Votes: 21 20.6%

• Total voters

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    - 357 first, find different compatible loads anywhere, with light loads it is competitors’ delight;
    - second, ammo found most anywhere and cowboy loads are more plentiful for it;
    - 44/40...doesn’t light my fire, ammo is less prevalent and is pricey, not as reloader friendly as 357 and 45 Colt.

I’ll second 44 Magnum...it can do anything all of the other three can do.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I voted 357, mostly for the availability and cost of ammo. Since I reload that isn't all that important. That being said I have been thinking seriously about a Marlin 1984 in 44 mag lately.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    All I know is one lever gun is not enough and once you get your first one it’s not your last! They are very addictive and each has its own personality that just grabs at you! Given that I guess the 38/357 would be a great first lever gun. And really the hardest decision will be the manufacture as Marlin, Henry, Rossi and Winchester all have great guns but can be very different in fit to each individual.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This is my find for a 357 lever gun
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=232091

attachment.php

The price is now $534.99 and they are still available.

Oh God, you're killing me. I soooo want another one but I'm saving my pennies for something else now.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    73 action can't handle 44 Mag.

As for the OP, if he wants to get into SASS, 73 is the way to go. If he reloads and wants to shoot BP rounds, 44-40 is the way to go. Otherwise, get the 357.

Other than being non-taditional, is there any reason NOT to load 38/357 with BP?

I voted 357 for versatility, but so did almost everyone else and I'm concerned that the precious few out there are going to get scarfed up :o

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Other than being non-taditional, is there any reason NOT to load 38/357 with BP?

I voted 357 for versatility, but so did almost everyone else and I'm concerned that the precious few out there are going to get scarfed up :o

That's the problem!
    Availability of ammo is no problem, availability of the rifles is!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I answered the way I did , because the OP said specifically the choice was in regards to an 1873 .

It's certainly an option , and the 1873 style action has great regard in SASS circles for how smoothly the action can be smoothed and/ or action throw shortened .

But by its design , it is not suited to high pressures . Not saying that's inherently good or bad, but it is what it is , and the caliber/ load choices are limited thusly .

If the OP's questions were more open , I would instead be making a case for an 1892 based rifle instead of an 1873 , for all around use .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

The brass for 44-40 is thinner, so it seals better when shooting BP, which prevents soot from getting in the action. Modern 45 Colt brass is thicker, so lots of gunk gets past the mouth into the action, same with any straight wall cartridge and BP. I only use BP with my iron framed 1860, I don't get a lot of crap in the action.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That's the problem!
    Availability of ammo is no problem, availability of the rifles is!

This. I emailed Henry quite a few times about making the new single shot line in 357 and 30-30. They finally released them. I doubt I actually had anything to do with that but in my emails I stated several times that any manufacturer that does not make models in 357 is losing money.

The ultimate for me would be for Henry to release the original Henry rifle in 357 Mag. I would be first in light be even if I had to sell off a few things to get one.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Of the choices given, .357 magnum.

That Rossi 92 is looking quite attractive. (I don't have a .357 levergun.)
    :)

IF given the choice in the poll, I'd choose .44 magnum and .45-70 Gov't.
    (I own a few leverguns in these two calibers!)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Of the choices given, .357 magnum.

That Rossi 92 is looking quite attractive. (I don't have a .357 levergun.)
    :)

IF given the choice in the poll, I'd choose .44 magnum and .45-70 Gov't.
    (I own a few leverguns in these two calibers!)

As big a lever gun fan as you are? You need a .357! Seriously! You can shoot that thing all day long, and you just might find yourself doing that. I’d bet you wouldn’t want to put it down. That’s how I’ve been anyway. They’re flat out addicting, and I wasn’t really expecting that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom