$100 tool just to install a flash hider or two?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Trying to install a flash hider on my 5.56 barrel and it has to tighten nearly 3/4 of a turn to be indexed correctly. Everyone seems to recommend the Geissele reaction rod for installing or removing a flash hider. My problem is its $100 dollars and I'm not sure I can justify the cost to use once or twice. Is there a simpler option? Maybe a jam nut? Any help is greatly appreciated. :cool:

async

May 5, 2013
    It depends on the risk you are willing to take. With a vise block, if you over torque the flash hider you could deform the upper receiver. The reaction rod mitigates this because it fits right into the barrel extension and keeps the upper receiver itself from being affected. If you're comfortable with the risk of deforming your upper receiver, there's no need to buy the reaction rod.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Get a Magpul Bev Block for this. $49. It's a mag vise block with an insert for the chamber so you don't twist your barrel. Can be used upside down for just a mag vise block. Clandestine assured me they are fine for this work. I got mine at 2A Sales. Primary Arms or DSG Arms sells them online.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Trying to install a flash hider on my 5.56 barrel and it has to tighten nearly 3/4 of a turn to be indexed correctly. Everyone seems to recommend the Geissele reaction rod for installing or removing a flash hider. My problem is its $100 dollars and I'm not sure I can justify the cost to use once or twice. Is there a simpler option? Maybe a jam nut? Any help is greatly appreciated. :cool:

Where are you? I have one you can use if you're close enough.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

Where are you located?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    These guys sell a $40 version. I have one sitting at home and it appears to be well made. Haven't tried it yet. The Botach one is $50. Might be the same thing.

http://www.gunthings.com/

AR15barreltool.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Brownells sells one similar that is about $50. I am sure there is a member nearby (wherever you are) that can assist. I can.. ;)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It depends on the risk you are willing to take. With a vise block, if you over torque the flash hider you could deform the upper receiver. The reaction rod mitigates this because it fits right into the barrel extension and keeps the upper receiver itself from being affected. If you're comfortable with the risk of deforming your upper receiver, there's no need to buy the reaction rod.

For a muzzle device, you *should not* be putting that kind of torque on it; 15-20ft/lbs, max. That wouldn't be enough to deform the receiver.

If the OP may want to change his barrel at some point, the RR would be a worthwhile investment (a lot more torque), but for just the muzzle device, a vice block is fine. Personally, I've never found investing in quality tools to be a mistake.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Thanks everyone for offering the tool for me to use, that's very generous. I'm located in Dundalk. I don't disagree with investing in quality tools. I'm just not sure I would get $100 use out of it. The gunthings.com tool looks right up my alley. I think that may be the direction I will go, or possibly the magpul bev block. I don't plan to build another 5.56 AR so I don't think I'll need it for the barrel nut capabilities. My next build will be a 9mm AR and I don't think you can use the rod type vice tool for that caliber barrel.

Edit: the flash hider is a YHM Phantom.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do this with some milled out wood and leather strips.

If using a crush washer, as long as you use a full capture vise block, a reaction rod might not be a necessity unless you have a long way to go to index it. I still prefer the rod. It takes all the pressure off the barrel index and upper receiver.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I did try using two pieces of 2x4 with a hole drilled slightly smaller than the barrel profile to for a clamshell and put them in the vice but it still wouldn't grip tight enough. I tried using pieces of rubber inserted in the clamshell halves to add additional grip but it still couldn't grip tight enough.

If using a crush washer, as long as you use a full capture vise block, a reaction rod might not be a necessity unless you have a long way to go to index it. I still prefer the rod. It takes all the pressure off the barrel index and upper receiver.

I do have a long way to index it so I think that is why I'm having such a hard time. I'm using a crush washer as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I did try using two pieces of 2x4 with a hole drilled slightly smaller than the barrel profile to for a clamshell and put them in the vice but it still wouldn't grip tight enough. I tried using pieces of rubber inserted in the clamshell halves to add additional grip but it still couldn't grip tight enough.

I do have a long way to index it so I think that is why I'm having such a hard time. I'm using a crush washer as well.

What is your locale? There are plenty of people here who can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom