Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Notices

Old August 11th, 2017, 11:38 PM #1

Tree stand suggestion

I have a tree that I want to put 2 person stand in. Any suggestions? Do they have stands that can span across the 2 like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:37 AM #2

I like ladder stands because my climbing days are coming to an end. I climbed utility poles for 25 years and before that did manual tree removal and would climb anything. With that out of the way I like to use the manufactured ladder stands nowadays because they are comfortable and I don't care all that much how many deer I kill anymore but I still like to go. You can get a nice two man ladder that will fall right into one of those leaders no problem. Some of the stands I hunt are only 10-12 foot tall which allows me to see better through the marsh areas that I hunt but some are also significantly taller with the addition of extra ladder sections.
Last year I bought a Remington two man stand that came with a portable roof and zippered blind that I didn't use but is really nice. It was aluminum, required a little assembly and the only problem with it was that the rail was a little short for getting a solid rest because of my height. I got it from dicks on sale for about 140 bucks and apart from the assembly was more than pleased. I would set one of them to one of the leaders on that walnut tree and use the other for a bit of cover. I just brush them in and use blind wrap where necessary. Being comfortable and safe while being able to sit it out for awhile is what I do know. This one had a full platform which is good for young ones or somebody with a disability, could be enclosed if I wanted it to be but I got it up late and came with quality binders and pads for the seat, back rest, rail. It was about 14 feet to to the platform as well.
I still use a lone wolf climber when I get all hard core but for the most part I could sit in that tree right there all day and even take a nap with the right rigging going on.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:47 AM #3
Heh Heh - "Member"

Heh Heh - "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I have a tree that I want to put 2 person stand in. Any suggestions? Do they have stands that can span across the 2 like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doubt you could hang a double person ladder to span across both of those trunks. All the ones I've seen has a sort of arch or recessed profile in the rear so that it nestles around the tree, then the ratchet straps cinch it down tight. Even if you could rig it somehow to get the platform section ratcheted down around the two different sides, I think you'll have a problem with the fact that each of those trunks will move independently of each other & would work loose any fastening system you might come up with. At a minimum you'll be creaking, cracking, & popping most of the time - at worse it will torque you right outta the tree. I'd hang 2 individual hang-on stands, one on each trunk if your goal is two actual seats. If you're just looking for an extra wide seat for one (I do this too as I prefer not being too confined), I'd select one trunk or the other. Good luck.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:54 PM #4

I've been happy with the Guide Gear brand stands from Sportsman's Guide. I've had several of the 16' 1-man ladder stands over the past few years (for different hunting spots) and they've held up very well. Good bang-for-your-buck.
tallen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 04:52 PM #5
Feeding Trolls Since 2014

Melnic, you'll need to choose one trunk for your double stand. you can add a couple ratchet straps to the other trunk if part of the stand is in contact with it, but something to consider...when the wind blows, the two trunks will put a lot of force on your stand and try and tear it in half.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship...row well and live" Quintus Arius
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 05:37 PM #6
Mike3888

Mike3888

Exactly what Outrider recommended. Plus the other trunk will allow u to hang gear in easy reach. Nothing sucks worse than having to reach above you. If your gonna leave the stand up year round be sure to loosen strap at end of season. Double trunk trees are the perfect set up to brush in. Good luck.
Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 06:41 PM #7

I would be leery about putting a stand on that tree, the crack between the two trunks looks like it could easily split off, especially the trunk on the left.
ted76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:25 PM #8
USMC LLA. NRA Life Member

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member

Tree stand suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted76 View Post
I would be leery about putting a stand on that tree, the crack between the two trunks looks like it could easily split off, especially the trunk on the left.
You read my mind...
sgt23preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:36 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt23preston View Post
You read my mind...
I'd look again a that tree. It's been there a long time. It's only a $100 tree stand. My only hope is that there is a forest behind the shot and that that the tree isn't standing in the middle of a field.

Sumac ?

"We keep you alive to serve this ship...row well and live" Quintus Arius
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:05 AM #10

Tree stand suggestion

Tree is down at the end of a hill. Facing a creek and a few more trees where I will put my corn feeder. Already lots of deer activity around it. I'm sort of limited on where I want to hunt and proximity to neighbors.
My other alternative is to put a ground blind in but I don't really like that idea for how it will look.
Below is a pic zoomed in from the house. you can see the tree on the right.

The other alternative is to pick one of the trees along the creek and face the hill. I just don't like the idea of facing the nearest neighbor

Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports