Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:03 PM #81
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
SIG P320 was being used at a firearms range (Dallas PD's). Gun was dropped accidentally and discharged.
really?

Quote:
There has been at least one other publication that has posted a story about the P320 recall with an incorrect tip stating that sources at Dallas PD reported a discharge occurred when a P320 was dropped. We took the opportunity to ask Webb if there has been an instance of an officer dropping the firearm resulting in a discharge. and received the following statement from the Dallas Police Department.

"There have been no reported incidents of an accidental discharge involving this weapon because of the defect."
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM #82
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
This topic is way more involved than I can fully contribute to but here is my viewpoint as a Gunsmith.

One should never carry a firearm that has the capibility to fire if the trigger is not pulled.
So no one should carry a pre-Series 80 1911?

I wonder why someone hasn't done this test on other striker fired handguns (Glock, Springfiled, etc) and posted how they do??????
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:15 PM #83
DC-W's Avatar
DC-W DC-W is offline
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18,919
DC-W DC-W is offline
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DC-W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18,919
Sig knew of the problem and has stopped production of the gun for now. If it weren't a problem, they wouldn't have done that. Details on how they're moving forward to come Monday.

There's really nothing to argue over any more.

I'd love to see a drop test like this of a Glock. Sig fires because the trigger would move back when dropped like that. Glock trigger doesn't move until the blade is depressed.
DC-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM #84
mopar92's Avatar
mopar92 mopar92 is offline
Official MDS Court Jester
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Taneytown
Posts: 8,788
mopar92 mopar92 is offline
Official MDS Court Jester
mopar92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Taneytown
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-W View Post
Sig knew of the problem and has stopped production of the gun for now. If it weren't a problem, they wouldn't have done that. Details on how they're moving forward to come Monday.

There's really nothing to argue over any more.

I'd love to see a drop test like this of a Glock. Sig fires because the trigger would move back when dropped like that. Glock trigger doesn't move until the blade is depressed.
Early Glocks Gen 1/2 where not drop safe. Sort of. The DEA had a "Frisbee" test that broke Glocks irreparably and Glock lengthened the slide rails and offered the upgrade free of charge to all consumers. (Gen 2.5) all Glocks should pass this testing.

AFAIK no discharges where reported.

Any Glock owner can also have their Glock serviced free of charge at "most" GSSF events.
__________________
The new Pancho Villa
The new Messiah, according to Blaster.
I may be a slut, but I only did it once for money.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:26 PM #85
slybarman's Avatar
slybarman slybarman is offline
low speed high drag 9-5er
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,744
slybarman slybarman is offline
low speed high drag 9-5er
slybarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
The DEA had a "Frisbee" test that broke Glocks irreparably .
I'm the only one in this room professional enough to . . . Oh crap.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
slybarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:55 PM #86
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,877
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
So no one should carry a pre-Series 80 1911?

I wonder why someone hasn't done this test on other striker fired handguns (Glock, Springfiled, etc) and posted how they do??????
I probably didn't explain myself clearly. My apologies.

I don't think the series 70 1911's fall into that category because they have a grip safety and a manual safety as alternates. One blocks the trigger, one blocks the hammer.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 03:01 PM #87
Art3's Avatar
Art3 Art3 is offline
Eqinsu Ocha
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Harford County
Posts: 1,764
Art3 Art3 is offline
Eqinsu Ocha
Art3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Harford County
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
I probably didn't explain myself clearly. My apologies.

I don't think the series 70 1911's fall into that category because they have a grip safety and a manual safety as alternates. One blocks the trigger, one blocks the hammer.
I was kinda thinking about this...(in addition to wondering what of my striker fired collection may not be drop safe). In the particular fall demonstrated, I think the grip safety would be deactivated, as the impact would be on the hammer and beavertail (i.e. end of the grip safety)?

I dunno...like I suspect many other members, my mind is running wild with speculation...and an unwillingness to damage my own guns by testing them out
__________________
.
.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 03:05 PM #88
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,877
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
I was kinda thinking about this...(in addition to wondering what of my striker fired collection may not be drop safe). In the particular fall demonstrated, I think the grip safety would be deactivated, as the impact would be on the hammer and beavertail (i.e. end of the grip safety)?

I dunno...like I suspect many other members, my mind is running wild with speculation...and an unwillingness to damage my own guns by testing them out
That is correct, a drop on the beaver tail could deactivate the grip safety and allow the trigger to move. Many commercial 1911's often use aluminim triggers to cut down on mass. When people add things like trigger shoes it can lead to an unsafe gun.

You still have a manual safety though on the 1911.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:24 PM #89
DC-W's Avatar
DC-W DC-W is offline
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18,919
DC-W DC-W is offline
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DC-W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18,919
DC-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 01:28 PM #90
TheGunnyRet's Avatar
TheGunnyRet TheGunnyRet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Posts: 2,058
TheGunnyRet TheGunnyRet is offline
Senior Member
TheGunnyRet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Posts: 2,058
What's that called oh yeah, inertia...some kind of impact reaction...

The good thing the LEO didn't get hit by the Bullet or did He/she...?

Seems everyone was more worried about what happen to the P320.

It is still on my bucket list P320 RX...


   
__________________
President Trump

"My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the U.S. of A."

“Following your convictions means you must be willing to face criticism from those who lack the same courage,”

“in America we don’t worship government, we worship God.”


GYSGT USMC Ret
TheGunnyRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service