• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    DC safe?

...Per FBI 2012 statistics (per 100,000 people), DC's rate of Violent Crime was 1,243.7 or over three times the national average of 386.9...

Uh-oh, you used facts to argue against a black liberal.

RACIST!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Oh and don't forget the DC Public Library Police!

I'm not kidding. I was on Georgia Ave. recently and spotted an unfamiliar police car and there it was.....not a security guard car with amber or green lights, but a real police car, with red and blue lights, police graphics, and all of the other accoutrements one would expect to find on a police vehicle.

I guess MPD is too busy to collect overdue books.

I made this meme awhile back when I first saw that DC Public Libraries had their own police.

librarypolice.jpg

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Im not siding with her but I have no problem saying the city is getting safer thanks to gentrification. The robbery problem is on the rise but thats a social problem that needs addressed.

Whoa, social problem? Is that for real? Sarcasm perhaps? Social problems do not cause crime. Crime is a decision by an individual. The same individual could make a different decision and not choose to be a criminal. Many with the same "social" problems do not commit crimes because they choose not to.

I would agree that gentrification will improve the crime stats for any city but I certainly would not take that to mean DC is the safest city in the US or even a safe city for that matter.

No disrespect to anyone intended but I would argue that DC is extremely dangerous when you account for the fact that there are likely more police per square mile in DC than anywhere else on the planet. Yet crime in many categories is very high. The robbery rate would go down without a doubt if citizens could be armed. As long as the focus is on enforcing the law on generally law abiding citizens (ex. ammo. casings in DC) and not on CRIMINALS things won't get better. When the politicians and the administration at law enforcement agencies see guns as the problem and not individuals that are intent on criminal activity as the problem the crime problem will remain.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    DC safe?

...Per FBI 2012 statistics (per 100,000 people), DC's rate of Violent Crime was 1,243.7 or over three times the national average of 386.9...

Thanks for the stat. And the argument is OVER! As if it had ever begun. Only one whose career depends on feeding BS to citizens would ever state that DC is the safest city in the US.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was there and the media did not cover the EHN reply in full. EHN first response off camera reply was on the lines of, ‘This is exactly what happens in a society where people can own so many firearms.’ For the interview, she changed gears and followed with glowing reviews of the neighborhood. She was visibly shaken almost in tears. When the cameras turned off and she was laughing and making jokes.

I know that neighborhood very well. EHN is delusional if she believes people could confuse a random shooter as more dangerous than the realistic danger of DC housing projects in that neighborhood.

Basic crime data proves DC is not inherently safe nor the safest city.

g_mars

Mar 22, 2013
    Let's take a look at the facts:

Top 100 Safest Cities in the US

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100safest/

hmmm, I don't see Washington, DC on the list... Let's check this list:

Top 100 Most Dangerous Cities in the US

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

Ahh, there it is, number 46 most DANGEROUS City in the US.

Hmm. I really thought Chicago would rank higher than it does... According to that list, Baltimore's more dangerous at 27.

Regarding DC, I work in the city & followed this twitter page for Navy Yard updates: https://twitter.com/dcalerts. Turns out it's more of a live feed of crime reports. In a very short time I've seen reports of a few shootings, a stabbing, several robberies, & a carjacking or two.

Kinda depressing. Maybe I should turn it into a drinking game...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hmm. I really thought Chicago would rank higher than it does... According to that list, Baltimore's more dangerous at 27.

Regarding DC, I work in the city & followed this twitter page for Navy Yard updates: https://twitter.com/dcalerts. Turns out it's more of a live feed of crime reports. In a very short time I've seen reports of a few shootings, a stabbing, several robberies, & a carjacking or two.

Kinda depressing. Maybe I should turn it into a drinking game...

I would argue that the ONLY reason DC is not more dangerous than Baltimore is the considerable Federal Police presence from organizations such as the US Park Police, US Capitol Police, etc., as well as the extremely large size of MPD per capita. Not to mention the fact that so much of DC is National Park land, monuments, etc. or Federal government property (Govt. buildings) where crime is extremely low. If we focus just on the residential areas of DC I would suggest that DC is every bit as deadly and crime filled as Baltimore if not more so.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If we focus just on the residential areas of DC I would suggest that DC is every bit as deadly and crime filled as Baltimore if not more so.

I'd have to disagree with that. Baltimore really is horrifying in some areas on a level that i just don't find in DC. There are some real tough neighborhoods in DC but sections of Baltimore are third world nations.

I'd actually say it's the tourist areas where you see the biggest difference. The National Mall is safe (due to the large police presence). The Inner Harbor is not.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'd have to disagree with that. Baltimore really is horrifying in some areas on a level that i just don't find in DC. There are some real tough neighborhoods in DC but sections of Baltimore are third world nations.

I'd actually say it's the tourist areas where you see the biggest difference. The National Mall is safe (due to the large police presence). The Inner Harbor is not.

There are a few remaining 3rd world country sections of DC that maybe you haven't come across. I will agree though that the gentrification process is much further along in DC than it is in Baltimore. Unfortunately the criminals being forced out of those areas of DC are joining us in Maryland (mostly southern PG County). As far as Baltimore goes I have not yet figured out where are they relocating themselves to as they leave the city? Baltimore County maybe?

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Woops, I meant the photo was awesome.

Hilarious. Imagine having to explain to anyone what kind of Police officer you are if this was your work vehicle.

Library Police Officer: "Well you see little Johnny I hunt down the perps that don't bring back those comic books you love so much. They won't get away with that s--t on my watch!"

:lol:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Hilarious. Imagine having to explain to anyone what kind of Police officer you are if this was your work vehicle.

Library Police Officer: "Well you see little Johnny I hunt down the perps that don't bring back those comic books you love so much. They won't get away with that s--t on my watch!"

:lol:

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that they have a tactical unit. :rolleyes:

What's cooler than being a Library Cop.... being Library SWAT :party29:

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co

Having worked in both inner city Baltimore and DC, I would vote for Charm City. There's a good reason so many crime shows are set in Baltimore. Most people in their right mind move out as soon as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom