• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hello Everyone

I was going to post this over in the "Rifles" forum, but I figured I'd get get better results with this group. I've been trying to figure out the production run and ultimate destination of my Remington M1903A3.

Some background: I bought this rifle going on 20 years ago from Ron Peterson's Gun Shop in New Mexico (awesome place if you're ever out that way). I bought it because it appeared to be all Remington (down to the sling swivels) and looked to have original bluing (ie: not reparkerized). I know most of these have been arsenal refurbished at some point in their lives, but this one looked to be mostly original, or at least someone took the time to track down Remington parts... so, I paid the princely sum of $400 at the time and I've had it ever since.

The barrel date is 6-43 (two-groove), and the serial # is: 3,831,xxx... Here's where I need help. According to the information I found, July '43 production started at 3,824,829.There's a discrepancy here, albeit only by one month of production... but is it possible that I have at least the original barreled action for this particular rifle?

The stock does not appear to have been refinished or sanded. All cartrouches are bold and the wood appears to have a dark rich glow about it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6-43 barrel dateb.jpg
      6-43 barrel dateb.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 355
    • front barrel band R stampb.jpg
      front barrel band R stampb.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 353
    • stock cartrouches1b.jpg
      stock cartrouches1b.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 348
    • stock cartrouches2b.jpg
      stock cartrouches2b.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 321
    • stock cartrouches3b.jpg
      stock cartrouches3b.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 337
    • underside of barrel2b.jpg
      underside of barrel2b.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 335
    • underside of barrelb.jpg
      underside of barrelb.jpg
      36.8 KB · Views: 322
    Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Seems perfectly normal for a June 43 barrel to be original to a July 43 receiver.

The barrel shop is madly cranking out barrels, and stamping dates on them. They wait their turn to be installed on receivers.

Receivers are being made over yonder in a different area, and are assembled with barrels which may be several months old.

It doesn't sound like a discrepency at all. It sounds like the expected thing.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I thought as much... any thoughts on the stock cartrouches? I see the "RA" stamp and the ordnance proof mark. I'm not sure what the other marks mean. I'm finding all sorts of conflicting and confusing "info" online...

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Sometimes the original parts were from different manufactures made many months possibly including different year date earlier. Like High Standard made barrels on Smith Corona rifles. They had to be produced, cataloged, packed, transported, and then weren't necessary pulled and installed in FIFO, LIFO, or production date order. So month of manufacture may not match.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    what do you think about the stock being original to the barreled action? The markings appear to be consistent with Remington, but I don't know about the date of manufacture and all of those other markings forward of the trigger guard...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Those markings ahead of the trigger guard are not uncommon but I've heard varying and unverified explanations. I read they were indicative of a Smith-Corona stock and also Remington. I've never seen or read anything definitive on them.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    it's an early pinned stock (so don't fire any rifle grenades).

nobody knows much about the trigger guard stamps but only smith corona used a diamond.

Remington stocks also have straight cuts around band spring.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    it's an early pinned stock (so don't fire any rifle grenades).

nobody knows much about the trigger guard stamps but only smith corona used a diamond.

Remington stocks also have straight cuts around band spring.

Looks like a Remington stock...

Attachments

• 20180416_174134-1.jpg
      20180416_174134-1.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 108

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    yep. That's what I thought when I didn't see the diamond. O3a3's are my favorite rifles. I've got a pretty decent collection of smith corona's.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I like the Smith-Coronas too. I think they're better made than the Remington 03A3 in general. They're just as serviceable but show better workmanship. Maybe S-C had something to prove.

Mine all have 6-groove barrels rather than more common 4-groove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom