• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So... I have been using Damprid desiccant containers for almost 20 years now, in my gun safes. NEVER once had an issue with them, they suck the humidity out of the air very well, keeping my rifles rust and corrosion free.

I normally check on the Damprid containers every two months and empty the water from them, and refill with more Calcium chloride granules. Today and to my horror...

...I happened to glance at one of my SKS's still slathered in cosmoline. For some reason recently; there was an adhesion of Calcium Chloride granules to the rear of the cosmoline encrusted receiver of said rifle. I have no idea how that happened; although suspect is that the small pail of DampRid is located directly underneath that rifle in the safe. All of my other rifles are fine; no corrosion/rust/calcium chloride present on them.

It "doesn't" appear initially that the SKS's metal is corroded, only that it is peppered with the calcium chloride granules. Not sure how this happened.... no idea at all.

Tomorrow I am pulling it and cleaning that area free of the cosmoline and calcium chloride. Probably will end up popping the action out of the receiver for a closer inspection.

I have Mosins still slathered in cosmoline and they are fine. This was just a very peculiar event. maybe the Calcium Chloride "burped" from the chemical water absorption process and dusted the lower portion of the SKS; with the cosmoline catching it?

Got me thinking :wtf:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's really interesting. Only time I've ever seen anything like you're describing was when a buddy had a shotgun that had been re-blued professionally decades ago start showing signs of salt crystals near the stock after sitting in his grandfather's safe for 20-30 years. Turns out the bluing salts hadn't been completely washed away during the hot caustic bluing process and only started crystallizing to the point you could see it with the naked eye when the conditions became exactly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom