• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I shoot with the club that made the Mid Atlantic Ruleset(previously FN Rules) PCC is allowed if the MD does a seperate stage breif for PCC allowing different target engagements. You should prob add this later after you guys get several matches under your belt and a good feel for stage design.It will only add complexity to the match design.
    Glad to see another club picking up 3 gun. Good Luck!

Broncolou -Do you know who we could direct questions about the Mid Atlantic Rules to?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'm not the match organizer, but I did annoy him quite a bit in the last thread for some answers.

It's not in the rules. It is a bit inexplicable, and essentially makes pump guns a terrible choice in all classes. If you are purely gaming, you're better off just doing 2 gun division than bringing a pump gun (or a semi with a short tube).

Yes.

Yes. Last time I asked, there were no restrictions on using bimetal jacket ammo at the AGC 3 Gun match, which makes it a bit of a unicorn. There is no reason you cannot use 7.62x39 - just make sure it's not steel core.

Please remember that maximum range is like... 50 yards. Holdovers are not going to be a thing, and 308 is just going to weigh you down outside of Heavy Metal.

but when I read the rules, 7.62x39 does not meet the power factor requirement for heavy metal.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    but when I read the rules, 7.62x39 does not meet the power factor requirement for heavy metal.

I literally learn something everyday. Now that you point this out, I see the formula. Care to share the variables so that I don't have to look them up? Thank you.

5.5.3.8 Minimum power factor (bullet weight x velocity/1000) is 320

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I literally learn something everyday. Now that you point this out, I see the formula. Care to share the variables so that I don't have to look them up? Thank you.

(123*2340)/1000 = 287

However, to be fair, they just asked whether they could use their PTR-32, not whether they could use it in Heavy Metal. (Also, I checked the rules again, and I was wrong - you can use an optic on a rifle in Heavy Metal!)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

(123*2340)/1000 = 287

However, to be fair, they just asked whether they could use their PTR-32, not whether they could use it in Heavy Metal. (Also, I checked the rules again, and I was wrong - you can use an optic on a rifle in Heavy Metal!)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

300blk does not meet it either (sad face).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    So, make this easy on me. What does meet the qualification?

I have not really had a chance to think about it. I was only interested in calibers I own. ;)

308, clearly does (say, 147 x 2700/1000=396).

Basically one needs a 125 gr bullet going at least 2560 fps to meet 320 power factor. So, 6.5 Grendel seems in (barely: 125 x 2600fps/1000=325) while 6.8 SPC seems out.

What are some other common cartridges (for AR style rifles) people might bring?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    458 SOCOM:
    (250 * 2150) / 1000 = 537.5

You didn't need more than ten rifle rounds per stage in the last match anyways. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Basically one needs a 125 gr bullet going at least 2560 fps to meet 320 power factor. So, 6.5 Grendel seems in (barely: 125 x 2600fps/1000=325) while 6.8 SPC seems out.
    Floor is .30 cal, so 6.5 Grendel is out due to being .264 diameter. You'd also need a 24"-26" barrel to make those velocities.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    (123*2340)/1000 = 287

Correct. I asked because in some of the early days of AGC action shooting there were rifle restrictions (I specifically remember No AK's). It is my understanding that they wanted to steer everyone to AR's because...well...everyone was familiar with AR's. It made it easy to see that the rifle was clear or when the safety was on. (In the even earlier days, I once ran a Garand, with which the young RSO was not familar at all. He basically said, "Uhh...ok, just make sure you use the safety, if that thing even has one").

I like non-AR's :shrug: But, I also have AR's. Down the road, I'd love to explore non-AR options, but, to simplify things now, I'll gladly just bring an AR. ;)

.30-06, .308, 8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.62x54r, 7.5x55 swiss, to name a few.

For example .30-06 with a 150 grain bullet at 2800 fps would be PF = (150*2800)/1000 = 420 power factor
    Ooooooohhhhh...I don't have a trench gun (yet), but a SMLE and 1911 could be a fun retro 2gun combination :tap:

We'll see how things develop between now and then. I'll probably plan on bringing an AR as backup if need be to keep it simple for everyone. No worries ;)

I do appreciate the discussion. These threads are about all of us figuring it out together, right?

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    In the Tactical Limited division, what does it mean for a Handgun holster to be in a practical/tactical carry style? Thanks.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    In the Tactical Limited division, what does it mean for a Handgun holster to be in a practical/tactical carry style? Thanks.

1. I would like to thank you for reading the rules so carefully. This is a really good catch that I have never picked up on before. It looks like both Tactical and Heavy Metal have this same verbiage in their Holster requirement while the others do not.

2. I have no idea what the answer is here. My guess is that the authors intended to remove that verbiage from all of the division and forgot to do so on these two.

3. I can tell you this; as long as your holster meets the following, then you will be good to go with us.

….....must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement. The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger and the cylinder. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters are prohibited.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

I’m in no way an authority on the rules but I would interpret this as disallowing race holsters where this is mentioned.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    1. I would like to thank you for reading the rules so carefully. This is a really good catch that I have never picked up on before. It looks like both Tactical and Heavy Metal have this same verbiage in their Holster requirement while the others do not.

2. I have no idea what the answer is here. My guess is that the authors intended to remove that verbiage from all of the division and forgot to do so on these two.

3. I can tell you this; as long as your holster meets the following, then you will be good to go with us.

….....must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement. The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger and the cylinder. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters are prohibited.
    Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Not that I can make it this year, but for HM I've used my M1a, which was purchased last year. Can I still use it, or am I going to have to not shoot HM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom