Attaching a traditional belt holster to molle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Goofing off in anticipation of our (now cancelled) January 3 gun match, I found my shooting belt just sits awkwardly all loaded up with magazines and holstered pistol. I'm sure I can find a comfortable balance eventually but...

In digging through old boxes, my carbine competition belt (a battle belt rig) really distributed the weight of my loaded rifle and pistol magazines, plus a holstered pistol nicely. Sat well on the hips and was just "balanced". I just used one of my paddle holsters to simulate the holster attachment for now.

I scoured the internet looking for some form of molle adapter for belt loads and came up empty. Other than buying yet another holster with a molle attachment for my SP-01 Tactical w/red dot, has anyone rigged something safe and legal for matches?

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Can you share the secret?

Sure, I'm going to be setting up my rifles and rigs tomorrow and can take pics if needed, but essentially:

The belt is an old Condor brand battle belt and I run a inner belt through the belt channel. You know the setup (see attached pic).

The belt channel is actually two flaps that overlap and are secured with velcro hook and loop. I just opened up the flap on the right side, folded the edges and ran the belt ON TOP of the belt channel. This exposed enough of the 1.5" inner belt to run my holster's belt attachment through it. Duh...

If you want pics, let me know. I actually have a second one (outer belt only) if you want it. I got these free in a yard sale ages ago...

Attachments

• battle belt.jpg
      battle belt.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 464

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use an inner/outer belt for my holster, which is dropped/offset, and use the battle belt on top for mags and shell caddies. The drop/offset holster sits low enough so the battle belt doesn't interfere with drawing and holstering.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I use an inner/outer belt for my holster, which is dropped/offset, and use the battle belt on top for mags and shell caddies. The drop/offset holster sits low enough so the battle belt doesn't interfere with drawing and holstering.

I'll have to take a look next month--I hadn't thought of that approach. I have two holsters that fit the SP-01 Tactical and perhaps the companies make optional drop offset adapters...

I was focused on two gun for now, but the belt came with an ALICE harness that I figured would distribute the weight of shotgun shells if I ever decide to go 3 gun...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, one other consideration with MOLLE-mounting a holster is what attachment system it's using. Safariland, Bladetech, and Blackhawk all have mounts that are specifically designed to interface to MOLLE. In particular, the Safariland QLS forks can be stuffed right into MOLLE and will stay secure (albeit you will not have any adjustment range).

I also strongly recommend a drop offset hanger, and would further recommend using the Safariland QLS system for holster attachment if it's possible. It makes life much easier when changing holsters.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I’m interested in pics. I was contemplating a battle belt to pad the belt of a pack I have. I got one in trade but it was one unit and not a system line this. I traded that belt (since it didn’t work for my needs) but may have to look into one of the above.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    So, one other consideration with MOLLE-mounting a holster is what attachment system it's using. Safariland, Bladetech, and Blackhawk all have mounts that are specifically designed to interface to MOLLE. In particular, the Safariland QLS forks can be stuffed right into MOLLE and will stay secure (albeit you will not have any adjustment range).

I also strongly recommend a drop offset hanger, and would further recommend using the Safariland QLS system for holster attachment if it's possible. It makes life much easier when changing holsters.
    I will have to see if my existing holsters for the CZ SP-01 Tactical and CZ P-09 have those drop offset adapters and/or MOLLE hooks before I invest in something new.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I’m interested in pics. I was contemplating a battle belt to pad the belt of a pack I have. I got one in trade but it was one unit and not a system line this. I traded that belt (since it didn’t work for my needs) but may have to look into one of the above.
    I am setting up my rifles today so I can take pictures or a quick video.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    That would be great. Thanks boss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I take it back, this won't work for ME.

From the pics, you see how I pull the belt on the outside of the belt and reloop it at the end. Sliding the holster on here works fine (I tried using a standard Tek-lok that came with my Red Hill Tactical and also my Blade Tech kydex with Sting Ray loop attachment (curved to mold into the hip).

Problem is, with loaded belt and gun, the heavy SP-01 Tactical's muzzle angles right into my leg. The belt is too loose against all that padding and I doubt even Molle Lok inserts would help (although I may order them and try anyhow--nothing to lose).

For now, I'm taking the advice of two of the fellas above (JimBob and erwos) and putting a drop offset onto the holster for a standard gun belt UNDER the battle belt. We'll see how it works at 3 gun next month, and I'll keep trying if that's a wash... I ordered a Blade Tech drop offset but will try a Comp Tac version I happened to find in the bowels of a storage box...

By the way, the larger of the two Battle Belts, a Condor Gen II in a MEDIUM, is free and up for karma grabs. I'll bring it to the Steel Challenge and 3 Gun if no one wants it at the first meet. The small one fits my waist over a sweatshirt or hoodie so I'm good. This and a bunch of other tactical gear was $5 at a yard sale years ago stored in two 30 gallon storage bins. I went through the first one last year and gave away everything (chest rigs, belts, holsters, pouches, etc). Not sure what the original owner was gearing up for, probably Maryland's and Virginia's last stand. I just opened the second bin up last week and found these battle belts with a nice ALICE harness, freaking flak jacket, rig with drinking bladder, etc. Cool stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_080255.jpg
      IMG_20200119_080255.jpg
      161.4 KB · Views: 272
    • IMG_20200119_094702.jpg
      IMG_20200119_094702.jpg
      177.5 KB · Views: 266
    • IMG_20200119_094808.jpg
      IMG_20200119_094808.jpg
      162.7 KB · Views: 272

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Ok, digging around in my box of holster junk I found a drop offset hanger for my BladeTech holster fitting my new red dot equipped CZ SP-01 Tactical, and a Comp-Tac holster fitting my CZ P-09 back up gun (not yet fitted with red dot. See pictures.

I'm a bit concerned about the vertical cant of the holster sitting on the drop offset adapter, especially the Blade Tech. It really leans in to the strong side leg, even with a nice firm gun belt holding the holster tight. That can't be right but searching the internet seems to show the same angle. BladeTech on left, Comp-Tac on right.

I guess I could glue some foam or other material on the inside face of the holster to keep it pointing further from the leg but that seems cumbersome. That said, the battle belt doesn't interfere now with the draw of the holster and holds several heavy mags comfortably. Win some, lose some.

For now, I think I'll just have to use a traditional holster mount and deal with the weight of a fully loaded AR-15 mag and two pistol mags on my left side of the belt. Uncomfortable but I'll deal with it...

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_190411.jpg
      IMG_20200123_190411.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 214
    • IMG_20200123_190158.jpg
      IMG_20200123_190158.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 194

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I've been following this thread and since it has slowed down, I'll jump in with a question.

I have a similar Condor belt setup. I'm looking for a recommendation for a holster for an M9. Budget is limited, but I'd like to be able to get some good mag holders as well. I will not be doing any full-tilt-boogy work in the setup. Maybe some day I'll look into some competition.

So, M9 holster and mag holders, budget minded but useable .

TIA.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ok, digging around in my box of holster junk I found a drop offset hanger for my BladeTech holster fitting my new red dot equipped CZ SP-01 Tactical, and a Comp-Tac holster fitting my CZ P-09 back up gun (not yet fitted with red dot. See pictures.

I'm a bit concerned about the vertical cant of the holster sitting on the drop offset adapter, especially the Blade Tech. It really leans in to the strong side leg, even with a nice firm gun belt holding the holster tight. That can't be right but searching the internet seems to show the same angle. BladeTech on left, Comp-Tac on right.

I guess I could glue some foam or other material on the inside face of the holster to keep it pointing further from the leg but that seems cumbersome. That said, the battle belt doesn't interfere now with the draw of the holster and holds several heavy mags comfortably. Win some, lose some.

For now, I think I'll just have to use a traditional holster mount and deal with the weight of a fully loaded AR-15 mag and two pistol mags on my left side of the belt. Uncomfortable but I'll deal with it...

Unlike USPSA, you may be required to get on your side to shoot under a barricade with your holstered pistol. You don't want it sticking out away from your body when doing this.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thread revival...

As I am working from home today, I took time while on a telecon to pull together all the bits and pieces I had collected over the years (and past few weeks). I'm a battle belt virgin, so be gentle…

Any comments or recommendations on what you see below? I know some things are cheap "crap" but they work as place holders until I decide what I want/am looking for and how I may be using this.

I may look into 3-gun, but right now it's just for the Locust Hoards forming on the virtual horizon. :innocent0

Attachments

• BBelt 3-19-2020.jpg
      BBelt 3-19-2020.jpg
      31.1 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads