• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    Hey guys, so this is my first season hunting. I shot my first deer (tiny 7 pointer) in late September with my bow. That was on private land, but now I only hunt public land. I am really having trouble finding deer. I am usually at Stony Demonstration Forest near Bel Air and the only time I have ever seen deer there was when a guy walked by and spooked like 4 or 5 does out of some heavy cover, but always hearing about guys pulling deer out. I am hunting Hanover Watershed and Grove Farm next week just to switch it up a bit. I will be using my 300 blackout AR at Hanover and my 12 gauge at Grove Farm. The only issue is that I'm going in completely blind (other than google earth study). Is there anyone that hunts either of those places and if so any tips? I'm not asking for the coordinates of your "special place". Just simple pointers like:

Should I hunt along the fields?
    Should I be hunting heavy cover?
    Should I be there at all because deer are like mythical creature at these places?

Thanks in advance.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Congrats for even booking Hanover Watershed, it’s a tough draw last few years. My father & I have had decent success there over last 10 years, and haven’t even been there in last 3 years. Not trying to discourage you, but that place is way, way, more popular amongst hunters allegedly “in the know” than it should be. I’d suggest a weekday, Saturdays are always booked by 7:31 am on call-in day.

Don’t get me wrong, I like hunting there, but we’ve hunted every inch of the place and there just simply isn’t tons of deer there, despite what you’ve heard. It’s not a dud either, just a normal average public land that holds some deer, some days more than others. You do have a pretty good chance of filling a tag, but you also have an equally good chance of not seeing a living creature. Many people I’ve talked to think the place is the Mecca of deer hunting - it just isn’t true. That being said, I’d hunt there tomorrow if I could, I just like the property.

As far as some suggested locations, there are two parcels, one on Bandhall Hill Road which is the larger area, the other on Weaver Lane. The Weaver Lane side is smaller but really thick, should hold more deer and I’ve seen/harvested my few bucks off that side. There’s some cleared pine areas on this side that are open enough for some shooting lanes, but no fields (on either parcel).

The Bandhall Hill Road side has more open hardwoods, a good mix of thickets too. I’ve seen more deer by quantity on this part. If you aren’t in decent physical condition or just hate hills, don’t hunt this part. The actual Mason-Dixon Line is the boundary, and it’s a tripple roller-coaster from Hell of green grass “rolling” hills. If you brave that walk, leave the parking lot, go down the hill, go up the next hill, then go down the next hill and at the bottom, take the dirt road to the right about 150-200 yds. Stop, and turn left and climb the big hill about 50-100 yds up. That should be a good starting point for you. CAUTION - DO NOT HUNT HERE WITHOUT A GOOD GAME CART! Below is a YouTube video I stumbled across one night, showing the Bandhall Hill side, and my directions are almost the exact tree this guy is hunting. BTW, he uses a 300BO. I don’t take you to his tree (yes I can tell exactly where he’s hunting since I’m very familiar with the whole place), because the nitwit is hunting the intersection of two dirt fire roads. This is how folks get in and out of the place. If you want to be disturbed all morning with people moving around, then do what he does. Plus it’s unsafe.

**Another important warning - many people simply just sit on the many grass and dirt fire roads, and shoot down them. Be careful walking around.

https://youtu.be/cpRRpw6hn6s

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    Congrats for even booking Hanover Watershed, it’s a tough draw last few years. My father & I have had decent success there over last 10 years, and haven’t even been there in last 3 years. Not trying to discourage you, but that place is way, way, more popular amongst hunters allegedly “in the know” than it should be. I’d suggest a weekday, Saturdays are always booked by 7:31 am on call-in day.

Don’t get me wrong, I like hunting there, but we’ve hunted every inch of the place and there just simply isn’t tons of deer there, despite what you’ve heard. It’s not a dud either, just a normal average public land that holds some deer, some days more than others. You do have a pretty good chance of filling a tag, but you also have an equally good chance of not seeing a living creature. Many people I’ve talked to think the place is the Mecca of deer hunting - it just isn’t true. That being said, I’d hunt there tomorrow if I could, I just like the property.

As far as some suggested locations, there are two parcels, one on Bandhall Hill Road which is the larger area, the other on Weaver Lane. The Weaver Lane side is smaller but really thick, should hold more deer and I’ve seen/harvested my few bucks off that side. There’s some cleared pine areas on this side that are open enough for some shooting lanes, but no fields (on either parcel).

The Bandhall Hill Road side has more open hardwoods, a good mix of thickets too. I’ve seen more deer by quantity on this part. If you aren’t in decent physical condition or just hate hills, don’t hunt this part. The actual Mason-Dixon Line is the boundary, and it’s a tripple roller-coaster from Hell of green grass “rolling” hills. If you brave that walk, leave the parking lot, go down the hill, go up the next hill, then go down the next hill and at the bottom, take the dirt road to the right about 150-200 yds. Stop, and turn left and climb the big hill about 50-100 yds up. That should be a good starting point for you. CAUTION - DO NOT HUNT HERE WITHOUT A GOOD GAME CART! Below is a YouTube video I stumbled across one night, showing the Bandhall Hill side, and my directions are almost the exact tree this guy is hunting. BTW, he uses a 300BO. I don’t take you to his tree (yes I can tell exactly where he’s hunting since I’m very familiar with the whole place), because the nitwit is hunting the intersection of two dirt fire roads. This is how folks get in and out of the place. If you want to be disturbed all morning with people moving around, then do what he does. Plus it’s unsafe.

**Another important warning - many people simply just sit on the many grass and dirt fire roads, and shoot down them. Be careful walking around.

https://youtu.be/cpRRpw6hn6s

Wow thank you so much. That is so helpful. I'm really liking the sounds of the bandhall hill rd parcel. I'm guessing you have a first hand experience with no game cart? haha and yeah I am going on Wednesday.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Watch that YouTube video. The guy films a little bit of the view from way out where he was back to the truck. It’s a daunting trip. I had a cart, and brought out a 130 lb 4 point on Xmas Morning (2010 ???) up and down those damn hills. A trip I’d like to forget. When I saw it on video I had a PTSD-like reaction ;)

Seriously though, good luck. You’ll like it I think. Take the hills in sections, don’t try to Ranger thru it too much. Hope you enjoy.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    Watch that YouTube video. The guy films a little bit of the view from way out where he was back to the truck. It’s a daunting trip. I had a cart, and brought out a 130 lb 4 point on Xmas Morning (2010 ???) up and down those damn hills. A trip I’d like to forget. When I saw it on video I had a PTSD-like reaction ;)

Seriously though, good luck. You’ll like it I think. Take the hills in sections, don’t try to Ranger thru it too much. Hope you enjoy.

Yeah I watched it. That walk looks like a nice hike. Thank you.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you are hunting Hanover Watershed, watch out for some idiot dressed in full camouflage with mask and face blacked out, carrying a buck out on his shoulders That guy is lucky that I was the closest one to him when he went through the thicket. Three other guys were lined up on him but didn't shoot because I was closer than they were. They only way they knew something was wrong by my reaction! Needless to say, there are some really stupid people sneaking around out there!

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Grove Farm, lived "next door" for about 11 years. Had a farm there that we just sold in May. I never deer hunted it since we had our farm but I did a lot of duck hunting there. On the north west part of the property there is a field by water fowl blind #5. That whole tree line on the east side of the field will be covered with scrapes. If you can set up in that thin tree line by the water you will see deer. I am not sure what is out in the field right now crop wise. If it is heavy growth it might block your view if you can't get high up in a tree. We used to hunt #5 and #1 blinds and we always had deer in the field coming out. They come in from the trees on the west side from the Hazelmoor community. There are also a lot of signs down by #2, but that gets hunted pretty hard from what I used to see. Good luck.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Wow thank you so much. That is so helpful. I'm really liking the sounds of the bandhall hill rd parcel. I'm guessing you have a first hand experience with no game cart? haha and yeah I am going on Wednesday.
    Curious how you made out today (you said Wednesday right)? Hope it worked out for you.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    whoops wrong qoute - referring to youtube link.

I like how the dude in the vid has no hunter orange on. Pretty sure you still need to be in it even when up a tree? Last time I was there all I saw were what looked like abandoned hang on stands and we found a recent gut shot doe. Not a single car in the lot but the place was fully booked up. Going again later this week. Hopefully I see a live deer.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    whoops wrong qoute - referring to youtube link.

I like how the dude in the vid has no hunter orange on. Pretty sure you still need to be in it even when up a tree? Last time I was there all I saw were what looked like abandoned hang on stands and we found a recent gut shot doe. Not a single car in the lot but the place was fully booked up. Going again later this week. Hopefully I see a live deer.
    Not only is the guy not wearing orange, he is also hunting that property illegally, without a valid reservation. His first day hunt he says it’s opening day. At this location, that’s drawn via a Central Region Lottery by DNR Gwynnbrook. He then says he hunts the next day, which I assume would have to be Monday (no Sundays in MD on public land in Carroll County). This is physically impossible to do, you can only book a reservation 8 days in advance, which would be the previous Sunday, and the DNR office isn’t open on Sunday. Now, he could’ve booked it on Monday, but the rules say you can’t have two current reservations at the same time on the same property. This makes him hunting on the 1st Monday completely impossible to have done legally. He could only have booked that property again after he hunted Saturday, then called in the following Monday to hunt Tuesday at the earliest. I think DNR needs to investigate this poacher. It’s guys like this that forks things up for the rest of us. This was another year (makes 4 in a row now) that I wasn’t able to book this property because of it being 100% full every day, which pisses me off to no end. I may walk into Gwynnbrook one morning and show them this video. Hopefully they can get this guy on something.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Not only is the guy not wearing orange, he is also hunting that property illegally, without a valid reservation. His first day hunt he says it’s opening day. At this location, that’s drawn via a Central Region Lottery by DNR Gwynnbrook. He then says he hunts the next day, which I assume would have to be Monday (no Sundays in MD on public land in Carroll County). This is physically impossible to do, you can only book a reservation 8 days in advance, which would be the previous Sunday, and the DNR office isn’t open on Sunday. Now, he could’ve booked it on Monday, but the rules say you can’t have two current reservations at the same time on the same property. This makes him hunting on the 1st Monday completely impossible to have done legally. He could only have booked that property again after he hunted Saturday, then called in the following Monday to hunt Tuesday at the earliest. I think DNR needs to investigate this poacher. It’s guys like this that forks things up for the rest of us. This was another year (makes 4 in a row now) that I wasn’t able to book this property because of it being 100% full every day, which pisses me off to no end. I may walk into Gwynnbrook one morning and show them this video. Hopefully they can get this guy on something.

Might as well get a reservation at Gwynbrook. I've heard its actually not a bad bow spot.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Hanover watershed was full of deer signs. They obviously get the hell out of there once gun season starts though. Parking lot was actually not that full despite being fully booked. I counted about a dozen hangons that shouldn't have been there on the way in. Was a waste of time. Probably not bad early in bow season. Saw a few does moving around close to illegal oclock after sunset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom