• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone have opinions on 10/22 barrels (of course you do, but please share them). I am getting a rimfire can finally. Some day. Whenever ATF decides to get around to looking at my tax stamp paperwork.

Anyway, that means I need a threaded barrel for my 10/22.

I've been looking at a YHM sporter threaded barrel (I can't find much in the way of reviews) and a Shaw sporter threaded barrel. I don't want a bull barrel. Don't want to inlet my stock and I don't want another pound or so of rifle to haul around as I used my 10/22 chiefly for varmint whacking, teaching the kids to shoot and some range fun.

Asking for opinions on YHM barrels (I know Shaw has a good reputation).

Also, would you bother fluting the barrel? My 10/22 is already pretty light at around 6.5lbs with scope. Silencer is going to add about 4oz out at the end, but I'd look to get a 16.5" barrel if I went Shaw, which should shed 2-4oz and move the weight further back. Fluting I'd imagine would knock off another 2-4oz on something that size and profile.

Or would going even lighter than it already is possibly impact off hand accuracy more than I'd want? Just trying to think over all of the pros and cons. I can see the pro of a few ounces lighter for my kids to handle it and also when I want to go out squirrel hunting for the day. Also faster heat dissipation (not that the barrel ever gets super hot from 22lr). Downside I see is slightly reduced barrel rigidity and also reduced mass helping to stabilize off hand shots.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just buy a 10/22 TD Lite. Light weigh barrel, factory threaded.

You can't have too many 10/22s :D

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Have you looked at the aluminum barrels? Extremely light and if you get a fluted one, it's almost impossible to get it too hot.
    I used a Whistle Pig barrel when I built my last one.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have a Kidd lightweight fluted. Handles well. Doesn’t do bad at 50 either. Suppressed also. They make tapered and also a thinner ultralight as well.

7b46d95f4f35fc841836232805da1f4f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom