• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I press play for Destroyer and use some combo of Hoppes, Gunzilla, and Ballistol.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So ...What is your "I like shooting, but i hate cleaning" ...cleaning regimen...”

Unless with chrome-lined bores, shotguns and high power rifle get bores brushed and wet patched at back of the truck before they go back in case, let alone home.

Once back out on the outside, covered deck at the shop: Tupperware shoe box tilted on its side with 1-1/2” of odorless mineral spirits, an appropriate bore brush, a 1” natural bristle brush, a toothbrush (sometimes a round brush to get down different “tubular” parts) and an air compressor.

If the bore has copper or lead build up I’ll sometimes give that due attention (but, it’s rarely required).

DONE cleaning in frequently less time than it takes to field strip. :party29:

After that, it’s a matter of appropriate lubrications during reassembly.

I cut my cleaning times by 60-70% and regret it took me as many years as it did to “discover” my most efficient (AND effective) technique!

I plan on picking up one of those 2-shelved shop carts that I can put the air compressor on the bottom shelf of and assemble everything else on the top shelf of that’ll speed the whole process up, even more!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cleaning????

What's that?

I wipe off the exterior with a silicone cloth or some anti rust, then put them away.

I fire thousands of rounds between cleaning, without any issues.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    most folks like us do not have the funds to just replace parts, especially barrels whenever we choose. We need to take better care than the military does. One of my younger brothers who just became a DC FF Captain was in the Marines. I posted a pic of him holding Stanley during the Caps parade. I told him I would pay for an Armorer's class from SOTAR. He declined and said he does what he did in the military. Definitely ingrained.

How you doing, my friend?

Henceforth on MDS, you will also be known as Joey Tribiani
    :lol: :lol2:

giphy.gif

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Cleaning? I throw the slide and frame in my sonicator, blow them out with air, grease and oil.

Am I inducing wear? Probably. Hasn't failed me yet, though.

Note, precision rifles are treated differently.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I used to push balled-up pieces of WashPost through the shotgun bbls with a cleaning rod, a touch of Hoppe's and an oily patch. Easy peasy.
    I put a little more effort into pistols, because I don't shoot often enough to stay on top of things. I don't want to spend any time wondering if my safe queens are corroding away in the darkness.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When it starts to malfunction or maybe before a big match. My competition pistols go thousands of rounds without cleaning and I have an AR that hasn't had anything but Mobil 1 added to it in like two years and 2000+ rounds. I shoot a ton and haven't got the time to be anal about cleaning guns. Long term storage or corrosive black powder is a different story but modern guns is as little as possible.

One of my AR went through over 1500 rounds in a 3 day class. Plus a few hundred before and since.

No cleaning. I had to relube the bolt because Chad worked on it and forgot the lube. :D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I am trying very hard to come to some sort of reconciliation between my origins in shooting black powder, upbringing that cleaning your guns meant you cared about them, and the teachings of SOTAR. Obviously, black powder still gets the full treatment, but it is very hard to think about putting one of the kids back in the safe without...some sort of attention. :eek:

I have shifted my focus on that attention from full blown cleaning to essential corrosion prevention. Many of my favorite rifles are 50-100+ years old, and mostly rust free. I'm not going to let that change on my watch. :nono: Also, I have...let's just say...more than a few firearms:innocent0, and they don't always get shot as often as they should or on a predictable rotation:o. They could be in the safe untouched for a month or over a year :shrug:

So, after a trip to the range, they get a very wet (Ballistol for those with wooden stocks, CLP for the others) patch through the bore, then any exposed metal gets wiped down with the same. Before going to the range again, they get a dry patch through the bore.

I cannot do less. :o I'd hear them rusting in my sleep if I didn't do at least that.

Now...after yesterday's unplanned bath, these rifles got completely dissassembled, dried, and slathered from the inside out with healing Ballistol.

wet swiss.jpg

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I recently had some FTF issues with a PPQ. I narrowed it down to one magazine and the striker firing pin block. Then I decided to check out the extractor while I had everything disassembled. Turns out a ton of gunk and debris was jammed under the extractor. So I will add that to my KISS method: A couple of drop of CLP, wipe off the feed ramp, and check/pick out from under the extractor.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    The appropriate Bore Snake, my otherwise to be discarded tooth brush, an old T-shirt and some Q-Tips and Hoppes #9 is generally all I need to go through and give a gun a good cleaning, maybe a drop or two of Mil-Tec oil or CLP on the rails, hammer hooks and feed ramp. I hate cleaning guns and my IDPA Glock 17 gets cleaned once a year.
    The only thing I hate cleaning worse is a black powder gun, because the minute it goes off, the clock starts ticking...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Where is Chad and his comments about bore snakes breaking off in the barrel??????

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    At the risk of again reaching no consensus bumping this old thread with a related question, any preferred clp brands? Or just get whatever, they all do the same thing? I've seen ballistoil and hopped mentioned a few times what about clenzoil?

My bolt action 350 is having some ejector issues and I'm wondering if it's a lack of cleaning problem or something more, cleaning is an easy place to start.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    When necessary I use a ballistol soaked patch to clean the bore and wipe down the rest of the gun including wood, plastic and rubber. I lube appropriately using Mobil 1 oil and grease. Done

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Is the extractor crapped up ?
    I would start with any common solvent and an air compressor, if I couldn't get it out. I use mineral oil, slop it everywhere liberally, then take a pistol grip type air gun with a football needle on it (pinpoint/focused air pressure) and blow it out. Amazing what it will break loose !

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Is the extractor crapped up ?
    I would start with any common solvent and an air compressor, if I couldn't get it out. I use mineral oil, slop it everywhere liberally, then take a pistol grip type air gun with a football needle on it (pinpoint/focused air pressure) and blow it out. Amazing what it will break loose !
    Yeah it's pretty dirty(bought used, shot some without cleaning it) but I'm also new to this which is why I think starting with a good cleaning is what I should do/what I should have done when I bought it. I think I need to get past the "thinking it's fragile" stage, seems like any cleaner will do, and metal bits are replaceable if need be.

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Yeah it's pretty dirty(bought used, shot some without cleaning it) but I'm also new to this which is why I think starting with a good cleaning is what I should do/what I should have done when I bought it. I think I need to get past the "thinking it's fragile" stage, seems like any cleaner will do, and metal bits are replaceable if need be.
    If your extractor is the problem, I would think it should be pinned in and no chance of getting blown out. Unless it's broken or worn which could be too if cleaning doesn't do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom