• 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 13 50.0%
    • neither, buy more gongs and fun targets to shoot

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've been tossing around the idea of a 22-250 for a while but have also enjoyed the theory/concept of a 6.5 creedmore for longer distance shooting.

I have a 300 win mag that i truly love and doesn't beat me up for long distance shooting right now. To clarify, the furthest i shoot atm is 600y at land beavers (groundhogs). It's a Savage 110BA Stealth w/ a few changes.

i have a 24" bull barrel 223 also.. and to be honest.. i love the win mag the most but i DONT like the weight. It comes in at about 16lbs loaded.

There are all other kinds of calibers out there, but i'm not interested in considering them at this time.

both would be bolt action, probably ruger american predator model. The primary target for both firearms would be, paper/gongs/varmint at 600y or less. There are some states (WV i think) that require a .22 diameter projectile or smaller for varmint hunting. That's one hesitation i have w/ going w/ a 6.5 and then needing "yet another" firearm later. My 223 is an ar that will never leave the state of maryland.

The question is presented to those who already have a 22-250, a 6.5 creedmore.. or both.

What are your likes AND dislikes. Even the best firearms, have SOMETHING to not like about them.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    22-250. 6.5 creedmore is a fad, and I really don't see how it is an improvement over the .260 remington, except for use in an AR10

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My vote is for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have found the .22-250 to be somewhat finicky, to the point that I had them rebarreled to other calibers.
    Besides, you can always use the 6.5 as an excuse for why you would need a different caliber later on.:innocent0

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    My vote is for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have found the .22-250 to be somewhat finicky, to the point that I had them rebarreled to other calibers.
    Besides, you can always use the 6.5 as an excuse for why you would need a different caliber later on.:innocent0

having gone from 22-250 to something else because it was "finicky".. i have to ask. what was happening to cause it to be finicky?

were you buying factory ammo? reloading.. i'll be reloading either caliber and my interest is peeked @ the finicky portion of the caliber.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    having gone from 22-250 to something else because it was "finicky".. i have to ask. what was happening to cause it to be finicky?

were you buying factory ammo? reloading.. i'll be reloading either caliber and my interest is peeked @ the finicky portion of the caliber.

Some factory ammo was OK but not great, handloads never quite made it to the level of repeatable accuracy that I demand.
    On the other hand, 6.5's have been easy to load for and produced exceptional accuracy.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Some factory ammo was OK but not great, handloads never quite made it to the level of repeatable accuracy that I demand.
    On the other hand, 6.5's have been easy to load for and produced exceptional accuracy.

while not tested on 22-250, i know what you mean. some chambers can be picky. i spent some time w/ my 223 load. i'm not pushing it as hot as i can per the book but i get sub moa groups out of it w/ materials that are "readily available".

the 300 win mag load i use is up near max load but is by far... my favorite load/chamber. the only reason i DONT like it.. is because of the darn weight and lugging it around w/ all the other stuff i carry while varmint hunting.. just doesnt make it practical unless i setup and can scan the entire field.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    ended up going w/ a 22-250. added a 20moa base mount, comb riser and muzzle break. yes a muzzle break for a 22-250. My kids will be shooting this rifle also it'll be more of a plinker. now to find a decent scope w/in budget. i have a few in mind, just have to make sure the ol' wallet doesn't vomit at the idea.

thank you all for the votes and feedback. i am amused that the poll ended in 5:5 by the time i decided. lol

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    I love my Remington 788 in 22-250. It's a laser beam

I have a 788 in 22-250 also. Laser beam is correct and it so much fun to shoot. Our range maxes out at 388 yards so I can tell you it is at least accurate out to that range. I bought mine a year ago for 350 and it out performs my buddies custom Remington 700 in 22-250.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    When you get tired of that .22-250, you can have it rebarreled to 6mm-250. Easy to load for, very easy on recoil, flat shooting and plenty of accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom