• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I wonder how much of those relative strengths/weaknesses between the different sub-$1000 brands fall back on their relative areas of expertise from back before when they got into the AR craze. For instance, Ruger had never made a semi-auto rifle that wasn't the direct blowback 10/22 or the mini-14 before they started selling the AR-556, but they do have tons of experience building good barrels for their bolt guns.

Windham, otoh, is the direct descendant of the company that more or less invented the sporterized Armalite in the first place, and are sitting on decades of experience building the platform, and are probably second only to folks like Colt or KAC on that front. The civilian history of the AR, to me, is a big part of what makes the platform so fascinating.

joe261

Jan 26, 2013
    Havre de grace
    Lots of information to take in for someone who has never shot an "AR". I hope I'm making the best choices. I will buy my first AR as a complete unit. After that one I will think about building one. I don't know enough to build one for my first one. I stopped into a local gun shop Saturday about 25 minutes before they were to close. Looked at a Windham HBC(?), price didn't scare me away. They also had a Colt AR, I didn't pick that one up,due to being so close to closing time. That price also didn't turn me off. I will go back now that I know then they close. The gun shop was friendly and offered to stay later than there closing time, I declined as I was just looking for my first time. Joe

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My son told me and the wife tonight that he shot an AR today at the rage with my brother. Then asked why I don't own some of them? After he went home the wife said" why don't you buy some of them" you shoot every thing else. Looks like I need help on picking out my first AR. I'm thinking something in 556. Any idea on what to get, or what to stay away from? Joe

Hmm - you are probably close to JLowes. He is in North East Maryland.

His info is here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175956

Here is a MD legal Windham Weaponry AR on his site:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175956

You can email John Lowe and see if he can get you one.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Colt, I think the Maryland complement one is 6721, you'll never look back. If your concerned about the gun functioning properly then take it to Clandestine and have him go over it with you . Peace of mind and you'll learn about how the gun functions and operates. Then when you build your first one you'll at least feel at ease putting it together and know what you need to look out for while doing your build! I speak from experience.
    Good luck.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    Also S/O to the wife pushing for an AR. Usually it's the opposite....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Colt, I think the Maryland complement one is 6721
    Also throw in the LE6920HBPW and the KAC upgraded LE6920SOCOM. Both confirmed MD compliant, both listed as heavy profile barrels, 14.5" barrel pinned and welded 1.5" flash hider, super nice pieces :)

*edit* looks like the original link for the 6920HBPW is dead, found the archived spec sheet and linked that, but right in the URL it was listed as heavy: colt.com/detail-page/m4-carbine-145-heavy-barrel-pinned

Last edited:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You have two options:

Buy a budgeteske AR (PSA, Del Ton, Stag) shoot it, and if not working correctly, get it looked over/fixed by Chad.

Buy a more expensive AR, and HOPE that it's in tolerance, shoot it, and if not, get it looked over/fixed by Chad.

Honestly I would go with option 1. Chad has said many times he has no issue with Del Ton parts, just not crazy about their completed builds. Also Del Ton head spaces their complete uppers so better chance of that being correct anyway.

According to Chad, even the more expensive ARs sometimes have problems. Although he does say Colt gives him the least amount of grief.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Lots of information to take in for someone who has never shot an "AR". I hope I'm making the best choices. I will buy my first AR as a complete unit. After that one I will think about building one. I don't know enough to build one for my first one. I stopped into a local gun shop Saturday about 25 minutes before they were to close. Looked at a Windham HBC(?), price didn't scare me away. They also had a Colt AR, I didn't pick that one up,due to being so close to closing time. That price also didn't turn me off. I will go back now that I know then they close. The gun shop was friendly and offered to stay later than there closing time, I declined as I was just looking for my first time. Joe

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you like it, and if you shoot a lot, you'll love it.

rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    Once you find a good woman like that you never let go!

Also, OP, look into the carbines by CMMG. Yes, they are expensive, but they are some of the best built firearm s on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom