• Somebody else (who?)

Votes: 14 5.0%

• Total voters

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    First shot with my grandfather and uncles when I was 14 or so. Did a little deer and pheasant hunting with my grandfather before he passed away, then I gave it up for a good bit before picking it up again and teaching myself all over again. Not the best shot, don't have the fanciest stuff, but love the sport/hobby and all that comes with it. Really do miss my grandfather too.

TurboHeloDriver

Constitutional Patriot
    Sep 23, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    My Dad taught me when I was about 9. He'd been shooting since he was 10 or so, but had also received military training in the Army when he was drafted to serve in Vietnam. I learned the basics of firearms safety early and have never had an accident of any kind. Dad and I have been avid shooters and collectors ever since I was a kid, and still are. It's always been a great father/son thing we've shared. In recent years, we finally got my sister to learn to shoot. Now she carries concealed in VA.

markc

Apr 9, 2011
    When I was in ROTC, they just handed us rounds to send down range. Told us about sight picture, trigger squeeze, SPORTS, etc. But no one could figure out why I couldn't get rounds on target with an M16.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    When I was in ROTC, they just handed us rounds to send down range. Told us about sight picture, trigger squeeze, SPORTS, etc. But no one could figure out why I couldn't get rounds on target with an M16.

When I used to instruct Soldiers to shoot, aside from not applying any one, or any combination of the Four Fundamentals:
    Proper Position
    Sight Picture
    Breath Control
    Trigger Squeeze,
    I used to also find guys who wore glasses, but never brought them to shoot.
    5 minutes, or less, watching you fire and I could have you at least cutting paper. Were you ever able to get a consistent shot group?

Tractorguy1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 27, 2011
    A Squirrel taught me to shoot, as a kid this squirrel would run across on the fence and make fun of me when i missed him, thus i had to learn windage, elevation etc. One day i finally got him.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I've been shooting for a long time. But it wasn’t until I met my friend who is a SA of the FBI did I really learn the mechanics of correct shooting.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Dad taught us at a young age, I don't remember ever not shooting. He kept loaded, unlocked guns in the house within our reach. But because he had instilled in my brothers and I a healthy respect and fear of what firearms were capable of, we dared not go near them. A little different from today's mentality.

I bought my first .22 rifle at 12 and regularly hunted rabbit and prarie dogs by myself. I would pack a lunch and wouldn't come home until dark.

Of course that was in Texas and a different time. My Dad would probably go to jail now if he gave us those kinda of freedoms today. If and when I have kids I'll raise them the same way, it just won't be in the police state of Maryland.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    At around age 16 an Army Ranger with two young daughters moved in across the street. WE got to talking about guns and that turned into us hanging out after school and practicing room sweeps of his basement, breaching doors and eventually lead to him taking me to on target about once a month until he moved.

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    My dad taught my brothers and me when I was in high school. .22 bolt Glenfield, maybe? We had moved to the south from Baltimore county and I guess my dad knew more people with guns down there. Plus, public outdoor ranges were prevelant. Perfect for teaching suburban raised kids how to safely handle firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom