Quietest set-up for a .22LR Bolt Rifle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thoughts from the group? This will go onto a Savage with a threaded barrel.. Thanks in advance...

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'd pick between the Sparrow, Spectre II, or Element 2. The Spectre II and Element 2 have little-to-no first round pop, but all three are very quiet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'd pick between the Sparrow, Spectre II, or Element 2. The Spectre II and Element 2 have little-to-no first round pop, but all three are very quiet.

All are great choices. With subs they are just plain silly. BB guns are louder. DO NOT get a TAC-65. Terrible FRP. I had mine recored, and now it's awesome.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    From experience, I would suggest a Spectre II. I have also used a Freedom Armory Minuteman and it rivals the Spectre but at a higher pricppoint. Folks speak very highly of the Dead air Mask. Cant test that for a few more months...
    Subs with any bolt gun and a GOOD can will make you smile.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I have a Savage and the Spectre 2, it's a great setup. Assuming you have an FVSR, one thing to check is to make sure the thread length on your barrel is .400". I think this is resolved now, but some (including mine) were cut to .500", which wont play well with the o-ring on the Spectre and Sparrow.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ruger american, 22lr, 18 inch threaded barrel. Aguila Sss and sparrow suppressor. Staple gun quiet. Plus uses standard 1022 mags and has an awesome trigger .

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Subscribed. I have the same gun and am looking for a can for it. From my research it will likely be the Spectre II or Minuteman.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It may be worth it to see what else the can is rated for, some will also do .22mag and most of the .17's if that matters to you. Nice if you can take it apart to clean it also.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not a bolt rifle but stupid quiet and lots of fun. I vote for the Spectre 2.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462708305942.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1462708305942.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 419

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Here is my Ruger American. Cut the barrel down to 16.5" and had it threaded for a Silencerco Warlock II. It is by far the most quiet set up I've heard.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For a bolt action 22 is there really going to be a difference from model to model? I guess barrel length and ammo used makes the deciding factor other than suppressor used. Incidentally , just yesterday I ran a suppressor on 2 ARs that had a 22 conversion bolt. One 10.5" Using CCI SV the 10.5" was wicked quiet cause I believe the fps was 100-150 slower. With the 16" it was still hitting sound barrier cause I heard the crack.

Is there a 22 ammo in the 950fps range?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    For a bolt action 22 is there really going to be a difference from model to model? I guess barrel length and ammo used makes the deciding factor other than suppressor used. Incidentally , just yesterday I ran a suppressor on 2 ARs that had a 22 conversion bolt. One 10.5" Using CCI SV the 10.5" was wicked quiet cause I believe the fps was 100-150 slower. With the 16" it was still hitting sound barrier cause I heard the crack.

Is there a 22 ammo in the 950fps range?

A lot of match .22 ammo is between 950-1085 fps. Keeping it just under subsonic.

This is to prevent destabilization when passing the sound barrier. But it also prevents the sonic crack when shooting suppressed.

Wolf Match and Eli Club are both reasonably priced Match ammo.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    CCI SV is rated at 1070
    Gemtech Subs are rated at 1020
    CCI quiet is~750 and will not cycle most semi's.
    the Remington subs are JUNK and dirty as hell. I wont use them.
    My go to is Gemtech followed by CCI SV.

As DP said, most match ammo is subsonic, but you really pay a premium for it.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm looking to the bolt gun for a combination of more inherent accuracy along with quietness.... there won't be the sound of the action slapping back and forth.

My question to the group... how much will accuracy suffer when I put the can on the rifle. I assume this will be a function of the ammo, like most rifle/ammo combos, only now I'm adding a can to the equation.

Also, would I be better served by making my own can... going the Form 1 route, or buying one of the previously mentioned units? This can will be dedicated to the rifle. I thought about having it pull double duty on a pistol, but I'm rethinking this set up.

Again, thanks for all of your input.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You will have little to no POI shift with the cans mentioned.
    You will probably see more shift with a homemade one. This will not matter if you dedicate it to one rifle and always use it when firing that rifle.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Both of my 22's, one bolt action, shoot better with a can than without. No POI shift to speak of (I have only tested them to 50yds with a buddy's can one day). It was more accurate with a few different types of ammo tested when suppressed.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I'm looking to the bolt gun for a combination of more inherent accuracy along with quietness.... there won't be the sound of the action slapping back and forth.

My question to the group... how much will accuracy suffer when I put the can on the rifle. I assume this will be a function of the ammo, like most rifle/ammo combos, only now I'm adding a can to the equation.

My suppressed rifles shoot tighter groups with the same ammo versus unsuppressed.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Sparrow is my choice for my fvsr. It's a great combo. Like others have said, i haven't noticed any accuracy loss suppressed, and if anything, groups may be a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom