• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am looking at buying an M203 40mm grenade launcher. Why, you ask? Why not! :D

So, here is my question. I am sure I will need to transfer the launcher itself through a Class 3 dealer, correct? It is considered a destructive device?

What about the rounds for it? Considering getting a few practice chalk/marker rounds and a 22lr beehive. Maybe some flares even. No HE rounds though. Shot enough of those when I was in the service.

Are the rounds OK to direct ship to the house or do they require an FFL also?

Thanks in advance for the info,

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HE rounds would be destructive devices and have a $200 tax PER ROUND.

Gets a MIGHT expensive to shoot them. :)

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    HE rounds would be destructive devices and have a $200 tax PER ROUND.

Gets a MIGHT expensive to shoot them. :)

Yeah, I am not looking to shoot those. Just looking for orange Chalk rounds, flares, smoke, that kind of stuff. As far as I know those types of rounds can be shipped direct.

Am I correct?

Dave

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There was a kerfluffle online last year about the BATFE seizing 40mm chalk and flare rounds and declaring them low explosives. At this point, I think I'd rather DD a 37mm launcher on a form 1.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    There was a kerfluffle online last year about the BATFE seizing 40mm chalk and flare rounds and declaring them low explosives. At this point, I think I'd rather DD a 37mm launcher on a form 1.

I'm kinda lost; why would you want to DD a 37mm, I thought all 37mm things were unrestricted. would you beable to use 40mm after the stamp?

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I'm kinda lost; why would you want to DD a 37mm, I thought all 37mm things were unrestricted. would you beable to use 40mm after the stamp?

You can't put 40mm into a 37mm launcher unless you bore it out (different topic).

Possessing anything the ATF considers anti-personnel rounds (basically other than smoke and flares) makes your 37mm launcher a DD. You just made a DD w/o paperwork.

For example, but not limited to -

ATF Ruling 95-3
    "HELD: 37/38 mm gas/flare guns possessed with "anti-personnel"
    ammunition, consisting of cartridges containing wood pellets,
    rubber pellets or balls, or bean bags, are destructive devices as
    that term is used in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(4) and 26 U.S.C.
    section 5845(f)(2)."

So, if you want to play with tossing various stuff out of your 37mm, you probably want to DD it to be safe. Just my humble opinion which I assume will be ignored, since I do not claim to be an expert.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    You can't put 40mm into a 37mm launcher unless you bore it out (different topic).

Possessing anything the ATF considers anti-personnel rounds (basically other than smoke and flares) makes your 37mm launcher a DD. You just made a DD w/o paperwork.

For example, but not limited to -

ATF Ruling 95-3
    "HELD: 37/38 mm gas/flare guns possessed with "anti-personnel"
    ammunition, consisting of cartridges containing wood pellets,
    rubber pellets or balls, or bean bags, are destructive devices as
    that term is used in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(4) and 26 U.S.C.
    section 5845(f)(2)."

So, if you want to play with tossing various stuff out of your 37mm, you probably want to DD it to be safe. Just my humble opinion which I assume will be ignored, since I do not claim to be an expert.

Makes sense, thanks

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Saw that the BATFE has deemed some rounds illegal now for the 40mm. Was originally IR Flare and Chalk rounds but, now I hear the part about Chalk rounds is incorrect. They are still legal.

Anyone here different?

Dave

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Really, so the SN is on the receiver/barrel mount?

Interesting. I will try that perhaps. There are barrels for sale all over the place on FB and looks to be cheaper to go that route. I am looking for a rail mount system.

Dave

No joke, there are several NFA dealers specifically selling them at gun shows and online. With no barrel, it is not above 37mm, or a 16 inch rifled barrel for example. Don't buy the 40mm barrel until after you get your stamp.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Saw that the BATFE has deemed some rounds illegal now for the 40mm. Was originally IR Flare and Chalk rounds but, now I hear the part about Chalk rounds is incorrect. They are still legal.

Anyone here different?

Dave

The chalk they confiscated supposedly walked off a range somewhere and the .gov was tracking them all down. Heard they are still legit with a registered DD launcher.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yep, it appears chalk is perfectly fine to buy. Have 100 rnds inbound. No plans on buying the barrel until the Form1 comes back approved. Cool thing is, I am told I can put a 37mm or 40mm barrel on the same receiver if I want. Prefer 40mm so I will wait. For now I will just work on getting adapters (i.e. 40mm to 410/12ga/20ga or BeeHive 40mm to 22lr).

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom