• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFD

Nov 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    Is a Ar15 carbine 5.56/.223 marked barrel, M4 profile 16" or 14.5" with a fixed permanent muzzle device, legal to sell in MD. ?

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    M4 Profile = Notch .

By notch do you mean M203 cut? I'm pretty sure there are heavy barrels with cut that are legal. The barrel is heavier under the handguard, typically these are called SOCOM heavy barrels if I remember correctly.

There's one marked as "not banned" on the list- the Colt AR-15 model M4A1-SOCOM. It has a SOCOM heavy barrel, 14.5 inch pinned and welded. I've also seen shops selling the LE6920HBPW a couple of years ago which are essentially the same except they're marked M4 Carbine instead of M4A1 with gov't markings.

bjKq2C7.jpg

But to answer OP's question, no. It has to be a heavy barrel. Standard M4 profile barrels are NOT heavy barrels.

Pic: M4 barrel vs SOCOM barrel.

r8pnoeY.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    By notch do you mean M203 cut? I'm pretty sure there are heavy barrels with cut that are legal. The barrel is heavier under the handguard, typically these are called SOCOM heavy barrels if I remember correctly.

There's one marked as "not banned" on the list- the Colt AR-15 model M4A1-SOCOM. It has a SOCOM heavy barrel, 14.5 inch pinned and welded. I've also seen shops selling the LE6920HBPW a couple of years ago which are essentially the same except they're marked M4 Carbine instead of M4A1 with gov't markings.

bjKq2C7.jpg

But to answer OP's question, no. It has to be a heavy barrel. Standard M4 profile barrels are NOT heavy barrels.

Pic: M4 barrel vs SOCOM barrel.

r8pnoeY.jpg
    ^^^This^^^

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * We * can and usually do discuss the subtle variations of specifications of Government contract rifles . But yeah , for mass marketing and mass consumers , that's what they usually mean .

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Glad this post came up. We have a SOPMOD II upper with the SOCOM barrel. There was some concern on which lowers we could run it on pre/post 2013.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything listed as a gov. Hbar Profile barrel.

I can't say you won't, but I haven't either. My thinking is "government profile refers to barrel, M203 cut not withstanding. But I could be wrong.
    M203s are legal with a stamp, are they not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom