• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Hey guys and gals,

My son is 9-years old and I'd like to get him into shooting. I was wondering if there are any clubs around Frederick for kids that we could get involved in.

Any leads?

Thanks.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Frederick County has an excellent 4-H Shooting Sports program for archery, rifle, and shotgun. Mt Airy Issac Walton also sponsors a Scholastic Clay Target Program for shotgun. My sons shot in Howard County 4-H and Mt Airy SCTP and enjoyed both. There was a thread on this previously, so I'd use the search function.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plan A - Many gun clubs have active Youth Groups . Someone who is closer will be by to recomend specific clubs.

Plan B - Youth Groups with shooting programs. 4H has very active shooting programs at national level, contact them for nearby groups with active shooting programs . BSA also has shooting program, but individual Troops with active programs are spottier.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Hey guys and gals,

My son is 9-years old and I'd like to get him into shooting. I was wondering if there are any clubs around Frederick for kids that we could get involved in.

Any leads?

Thanks.

I just joined a club that has an active youth group shooting trap. The club is hoping members have youngsters looking to get active in trap as many in the current group are graduating HS. The gentleman who runs the youth group is really nice and I'm sure would give you any information he has. If you go to one of the many activities they have, introduce yourself and I'm sure they will sponsor you to join. I have a friend that belongs there but I went to one of the cowboy shoots just to meet more people to make sure it was a place I wanted to join. Lots of good people and a nice place to shoot.

Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    The Frederick County 4H has a very active shooting sports section.

TCSC has a youth group but that is focused on skeet/trap I believe.

Frederick IWLA has a youth group and that is primarily focused on the NRA youth hunter education challenge (google YHEC)

Cresap has/had a junior rifle team. They are currently practicing at Monocacy Pistol Club (MPC) during their difficulties.

MPC also has their own junior rifle section that doesn't compete but works its way through the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

I also believe the Mt Airy IWLA has programs including air rifle? Not real sure about this.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hey guys and gals,

Any leads?

Thanks.
    Building on what CharlieFoxTrot mentioned, the Frederick IWLA is a great place to investigate. The youth program is headed by Ben Kelkye (whom I believe is just one of three Master level NRA instructors in MD). Ben's students learn black powder, trap shooting, and rimfire at 50 yards (and have been very competitive at the state level). They also do archery and learn game tracking. The group gets together every alternate Sunday at 11am with class running until 2/3pm.

MPC's program is focused on the Winchester/NRA instruction (shooting at 50 ft, with iron sights, from multiple positions) but I believe our friend who organizes it is restricting new students at 11 years of age.

For the Frederick IWLA youth team, many parents of the kids are not club members. However a number join over time. For the MPC team, the majority of parents are typically members, and if more students apply than there are slots, preference is likely to be given to children of members.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    There are also several Juniors programs at the AGC: Monumental Rifle and Pistol, Arlington Rifle and Pistol, Stemmer's Run Rifle and Pistol, Mt. Washington Rifle and Pistol and Old Post Rifle and Pistol. There is also a Young Marines unit sponsored by one of the clubs (Glenmore?).

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    There are also several Juniors programs at the AGC: Monumental Rifle and Pistol, Arlington Rifle and Pistol, Stemmer's Run Rifle and Pistol, Mt. Washington Rifle and Pistol and Old Post Rifle and Pistol. There is also a Young Marines unit sponsored by one of the clubs (Glenmore?).

The Howard County 4-H Bullseye Club (rifle and shotgun) also holds practice at AGC. Both practices are on Sunday afternoons and we always welcome new youth shooters.

https://extension.umd.edu/howard-county/4-h-youth-development/club-information

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Arlington RPC will be having a rifle shoot this Saturday from 0900-1400 on the 100y range at the AGC. This is a good opportunity to come meet the members of ARPC and take you son shooting. We also have a juniors rifle team as mentioned above. New and prospective members are always welcome.

Visit our website for more details:
    https://arlingtonrpc.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom