• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry for the blurry video screen caps. I could email you the video is you think it would help, or you just want it. Any (serious) help will be appreciated. Of course chupacabra jokes are welcome too.

This was digging in the leaf/grass pile early this morning. From what I can find it might be either a fox or coyote but whatever it is, it's hair is too short to be a healthy one. It looks like the critter in the video at the 1:20 mark in this 2011 NBC story.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Viewers-Sound-Off-on-Mystery-Animal.html

Is this critter a danger to our dogs? They are American Eskimo / Spits. Thanks

animal 1.JPG
    animal 2.JPG

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't know how many times a mangy fox was sighted by my old house that someone thought it was something different.
    With so many already variations in color a fox can have and then throw in fur issues, they can not look like the classic fox we typically see.
    I have one in the area of my new home that has a good coat of fur but is darker than most other foxes that are typical. Kids thought it was something else.

That being said, there was once a Coyote in our old neighborhood once that passed through and attacked a dog about 1/4 mile away.

Just google "mangy fox" and look at the images. Those rascals have a rough and unpredictable life. They eat all kinds of critters that have worms and other diseases.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Try shooting it in the head.

If it drops dead, it's a red fox.

If it sneers at you and trots off, it's a chupacabra ... or you missed. ;)

ps - Not seriously advocating killing the animal. Fox fur can be very poor this time of year. Yours might have mange or another skin disease, but from what you've observed, seems otherwise healthy? If that's the case, the only probable risk to your dogs is that (as posted above) mange is contagious, some forms highly contagious.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry for the blurry video screen caps. I could email you the video is you think it would help, or you just want it. Any (serious) help will be appreciated. Of course chupacabra jokes are welcome too.

This was digging in the leaf/grass pile early this morning. From what I can find it might be either a fox or coyote but whatever it is, it's hair is too short to be a healthy one. It looks like the critter in the video at the 1:20 mark in this 2011 NBC story.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Viewers-Sound-Off-on-Mystery-Animal.html

Is this critter a danger to our dogs? They are American Eskimo / Spits. Thanks

View attachment 207328

View attachment 207330

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Here are some still photos.
    ec454ce7e59cc302787df97e908520ec.jpg

7345fa293d8f91e2069866b1477c49e4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom