• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Going to have a barrel re bored from a .50 cal to .54 cal. It's a T/C Renegade with a 27" barrel. What would be a good twist be for round ball?

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get the slowest twist you can for the rebore 1:60 but depth of rifling could be more important. Narrow lands and shallow grooves .006-.010. so you dont rip patches up. Number of grooves comes into play as well but nothing that is not easy to find for decision making on the web. You asked for a RB barrel only.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Get the slowest twist you can for the rebore 1:60 but depth of rifling could be more important. Narrow lands and shallow grooves .006-.010. so you dont rip patches up. Number of grooves comes into play as well but nothing that is not easy to find for decision making on the web. You asked for a RB barrel only.

This.^^^

Your rifle is currently a 48 twist, which was intended as a compromise twist. It was meant to enable your rifle to shoot patched round balls as well as the TC Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunter conicals, and either with hunting accuracy. But if your intention going forward is patched round ball only, you're likely better served with the slower 60 twist.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Thompson Center Arms Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock (32") shoots patched balls very accurately with a 1:66 RH twist rate.

My Mark Bond Underhammer uses a 1:70 RH with patched balls and is very accurate with a shorter barrel (26.5").

I support the guidance already given.

4570inMD

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Hello John,

Bobby Hoyt is doing my barrel, he quoted me about $125. I told him no rush as he's booked about a year out,he said these type of jobs fill in between the more expensive runs so about 2 weeks. Hope this helps. It was a real pleasure to meet Bob. Awesome shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom