• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Under FRONT scope base, might even say byf on the receiver. Looks like a unstepped barrel so it might either be commercial or rebarreled in 06.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My first guess was a 70s or 80s Interarms Mauser in .308 with the engraving covered up by a changed out stock.

But I defer to Threeband and the others who can see things two counties away. (Wish I had them eyes...)

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I picked up a beautiful 1980s Interarms Mauser in .308 years ago, but sold it that same year to finance an AR.

Mine was a Mark X, Zastava, made in Yugoslavia, too, and with a Leopold scope.

Should have kept it!

It was mint.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Take it out of the stock to look for markings. If you can’t find caliber on the barrel, either get a cast or take it to a gunsmith to verify caliber. A .30-06 or .308 or 7.92 night chamber, but it would suck real bad to find out it was something obscure it was rebarreled in that was “close”.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I picked up a beautiful 1980s Interarms Mauser in .308 years ago, but sold it that same year to finance an AR.

Should have kept it! It was mint.

Late 70's I think I paid 200 bucks for mine, new... Prince St by the docks I think. If only I knew then what I know now..... :sad20: STACKS and STACKS of Mausers, Springfields, Enfields and K-31's for nothing. Prices were like Sunny's Surplus but many MANY more of them. I should have brought the title to my Mustang and taken a cab home. :sad20:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'd say Mauser for sure. My wife bought me a beautiful rifle for Christmas one year (she just went to the gun shop and found something that "looked pretty")... drove me crazy because there were no markings of any kind to include caliber. I searched the thing top to bottom before I finally found a little tiny Wehrmacht eagle... yep, sure enough, it was a Mauser that someone had completely re-worked into a really nice varmint rifle (unrecognizable as a Mauser), re-chambered in .22-250. Took some detective work.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Attachments

• interarms.jpg
      interarms.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 272

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    If it's not clearly with a makers name it's most likely a custom built that was very common in the 50's 60's early 70's , Their were ton's of surplus military guns to harvest the actions from .
    Back then you could have a Custom gun made any way you wanted for only a little bit more than a factory gun made their way .
    Take it out of the stock and look on the underside of the barrel , That's were a lot of gunsmith's stamped their name and the caliber because back then all they had were a set of number and letter stamps , engraving machines cost way to much for a small gunsmith .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It's commercially made. No thumb or clip loading slot. Because there is a transition from the ring the action sidewall on the port side that indicates large ring thread diameter on the barrel stub. Looks like a nice one. Watch the aftermarket safety sometimes they make it so the bolt can be opened when the chambers hot.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The bolt shroud is the military style. That's probably a FN commercial action from before FN switched to the streamlined bolt shroud with no safety and put the safety on the trigger around 1950 or so ( I don't have the exact date they switched). Post WWII, late 40's commercial FN used by Husqvarna, Herters, Browning, BSA, Sears, and a cornucopia of other brands. American gunsmiths and custom builders bought them in large numbers too. The real reason FN became profitable after the war. Nice little fairy tales about US Servicemen and Cigarettes not withstanding, FN actilons were in demand and highly profitable for the company to get back on its feet.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    The bolt shroud is the military style. That's probably a FN commercial action from before FN switched to the streamlined bolt shroud with no safety and put the safety on the trigger around 1950 or so ( I don't have the exact date they switched). Post WWII, late 40's commercial FN used by Husqvarna, Herters, Browning, BSA, Sears, and a cornucopia of other brands. American gunsmiths and custom builders bought them in large numbers too. The real reason FN became profitable after the war. Nice little fairy tales about US Servicemen and Cigarettes not withstanding, FN actilons were in demand and highly profitable for the company to get back on its feet.

I have seen the exact marking on a Sears JC Higgins Model 50 30-06 Commercial FN Mauser.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I have seen the exact marking on a Sears JC Higgins Model 50 30-06 Commercial FN Mauser.

I have one on a Husqvarna Model 640. I swapped to a streamlined bolt shroud and Tradewinds (Timney made for the Husky importer) adjustable trigger with side safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom