• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Saw the other post about the guy who built the gun cart (bad ass, btw). Simple question: I was looking at trying cowboy action shooting this summer. Would it be frowned up if I showed up with my sisters old stroller or my old hand truck with some bungees and foam, or whatever other cheapest simplist solution? I'm out laying some serious coin for Guns and leather, I'd like to cut some corners on cart and "costume." Thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    $20 jogging stroller on craigslist. add a couple of atv gun holders and you're pretty much in business.

some people pull the little red wagons but with the long guns laying flat, there is a lot of accidental muzzling going on, albeit with chamber-flagged guns.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I got one of these http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...on-16queuqfldngtltysodr/16queuqfldngtltysodr? It fits all of my gear, a cooler, and a seat. Plus it folds up for easy storage.

With apologies to Davsco, by the time you put on gun grips for the long guns you are back to $60, plus the work it takes to modify the stroller.

Jimbobborg probably the cheapest solution. You just keep the long guns cased. When you get more finances you can do the stroller cart.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    $20 jogging stroller on craigslist. add a couple of atv gun holders and you're pretty much in business.

some people pull the little red wagons but with the long guns laying flat, there is a lot of accidental muzzling going on, albeit with chamber-flagged guns.

My rifle and shotgun are too long to lay flat, so muzzles are pointed down at an angle just like on a baby carriage.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Whatever you do I'd recommend getting large tires for those days when the ground is soggy.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    With apologies to Davsco, by the time you put on gun grips for the long guns you are back to $60, plus the work it takes to modify the stroller.

eh i just used one pair of the gun holders so not quite that much. plus i got the pride of construction/creation and a little customization for what i wanted. time was nominal and i got to play with some of my power tools. but like everything else, do what works best for you.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    eh i just used one pair of the gun holders so not quite that much. plus i got the pride of construction/creation and a little customization for what i wanted. time was nominal and i got to play with some of my power tools. but like everything else, do what works best for you.

I used one set, too. I just remember searching for a $20 stroller without much luck. Sorry to pick on you Dave, but I did and I will pay in hell.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    cart

Don't laught. This is what I use for IDPA and I have a seat for inbetween stages.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 282

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    IDPA and 3-gun are not the same thing when it comes to moving stuff around. On a muddy day, if you have any of the things that have small wheels, you will hear lots of profanity. Those things are Ok for flat grass and pavement, but get them on gravel, uneven ground, mud, snow or anything of that nature and you will find out why most don't use them. Unless you are a family shooting rimfire challenge or something like that. A jogging stroller can carry lots of guns, ammo, a decent size cooler, chair, extra clothes, umbrella, and has 2-4 drink holders to boot. And the big wheels eat up uneven ground, mud, gravel, and you can run them with a couple of fingers on grass and pavement. It saves you energy also. The best I think is the Baby Trends Expedition. Very easy to convert, has a front wheel that can either be locked or steerable, has a folding rain cover you can keep on there, you can keep the infant tray on there to help loading mags. I have had mine since 2010 and it does between 30-50 matches per year. Never had a single part break, all the mods I did were free except the pair of ATV gun racks I bought from Sportsman's Guide. Just have to retighten a couple of bolts and keep air in the tires. Try that when one of those little wheels breaks off on one of those wagons. But its up to you. Think of it as buying a C-More for your supplies. You can buy what might work or you can buy what works the best.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used one set, too. I just remember searching for a $20 stroller without much luck. Sorry to pick on you Dave, but I did and I will pay in hell.
    I could not find one local to me at that price either in 2010 so bought a new one at Target for $110. Figured I would use it for the one big event I had coming up that weekend and if I did not like it I would return it. Turned out the event took place on a sporting clays range, up and down hills and valleys, sand, dirt, you name it. Was never so glad I bought it. Never looked back. I lucked into the best one you can buy. Even today I found a couple in MD on CL for around $50 or so. There are cheaper ones but not better ones.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used that folding wagon I posted at Peacemaker, Cavalier, Northern Virginia Gun Club, Quantico, the NRA Range, and a dove field after it rained. Shore fishing at a couple of local parks with dirt path access. The only places I won't use it are sandy places like beaches.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I've shot matches at Camp Perry a few times and saw every imaginable carrier possible during those trips (1960 & 2009).

Keep your wheels large and wide for the rougher terrain, have at least a waist high handle, and plenty of ties and straps to secure firearm(s) and gear.

I never saw the need to sink $300-400 into a nice tote cart and made mine from a wheeled dolly...and it got me thru 15 years of serious high power competitions without damaging these expensive weapons, scope or gear.

Stay safe and by all means have fun.

Lew--Ranger63
    Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, Dual Rated Aviator, Survivor!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Saw the other post about the guy who built the gun cart (bad ass, btw). Simple question: I was looking at trying cowboy action shooting this summer. Would it be frowned up if I showed up with my sisters old stroller or my old hand truck with some bungees and foam, or whatever other cheapest simplist solution? I'm out laying some serious coin for Guns and leather, I'd like to cut some corners on cart and "costume." Thanks.

No problem. I have the authentic, wooden style and the converted stroller I found with a pair of ATV gun holders. Either is fine.

And if you come down to shoot in Annapolis, we don't worry about the costume all that much. Try, just try. Especially for the new guys.

If you don't have all the guns or gear, no problem. You can borrow what you need. Third Saturday of the month, Anne Arundel Fish & Game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom