• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The rifle incident refered to by Gov Mandel as inspiration for the 1972 handgun law cought my intrest. The first refrence that I found was on www.baltimorepolicehistory.com , in the section relating to BPD Ofc wounded in line of duty. I am Luddite, perhaps someone can cut and paste for us. I will relate highlights :

Raymond D. Ferrell-el , 30 , of 1300 blk Upton St. Former teachers aide, had worked for 6months at PPG paintbrush factory 3200 blk of Fredrick Ave, in the handle dipping dept .

Nov 23 1971 Mr Ferell-el call in sick for his 7:30 shift. At aprox 3:00 Mr Ferell-el , a military vetran, appeared in the shipping dept wearing green camoflague fatigues, and carrying two rifles, a " .30-30 semi-automatic hunting rifle" and a M1 Carbine . He proceeded thru the factory, killing five and wounding one employee. At one point an employee struggled with him , "breaking" one of the rifles. Outside the factory he was shooting at the factory when police arrived. One Ofc was wounded before Ferrell-el was shot in stomach and collasped.

Ferrell-el was described as having had no discipline problems and no known confrontations with coworkers.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Good information. All of this just confirms to me that Maryland is a lost cause and no matter how much we fight and put up resistance, we are never going to win. I could be totally wrong and hope that I am, but if I were a betting man, I would bet on the horse that is getting the heck out of MD.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The rifle incident refered to by Gov Mandel as inspiration for the 1972 handgun law cought my intrest. The first refrence that I found was on www.baltimorepolicehistory.com , in the section relating to BPD Ofc wounded in line of duty. I am Luddite, perhaps someone can cut and paste for us. I will relate highlights :

Raymond D. Ferrell-el , 30 , of 1300 blk Upton St. Former teachers aide, had worked for 6months at PPG paintbrush factory 3200 blk of Fredrick Ave, in the handle dipping dept .

Nov 23 1971 Mr Ferell-el call in sick for his 7:30 shift. At aprox 3:00 Mr Ferell-el , a military vetran, appeared in the shipping dept wearing green camoflague fatigues, and carrying two rifles, a " .30-30 semi-automatic hunting rifle" and a M1 Carbine . He proceeded thru the factory, killing five and wounding one employee. At one point an employee struggled with him , "breaking" one of the rifles. Outside the factory he was shooting at the factory when police arrived. One Ofc was wounded before Ferrell-el was shot in stomach and collasped.

Ferrell-el was described as having had no discipline problems and no known confrontations with coworkers.

Didn't know a 30-30 semi auto was made. I know of levers, bolts, and pumps.
    Didn't Remington make a semi auto in their 30 Rem caliber...a rimless version of the 30-30 more or less?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Model 8 and later Model 81 , among other cal available in .30 Remington.

Or with the usual media accuracy, could have been actual.30-30 , but not semiauto.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    SPQM, I am curious as to what started this "movement" in your belly. As the treasurer of MSI, this truly interests me.

A book.

I was at the Wheaton Library FOL bookstore and saw a book on gun control. It was copyrighted (C) National Rifle Association and it was full of the "prehistory" of Gun Control.

Skimming it, my mind was blown at what went on long before I was born.

Alas, at some point the book went missing, no doubt due to roomates.

Several years ago while at U of MD College Park, I decided "hey, maybe McKeldin has it?"

And lo and behold, I found it again.

The book was "Gun Control" by Robert Kukla.

I got myself another copy, and it kind of faded to the background; but recently came back to the front-ish of my mind thanks to the media claiming recently that the NRA used to be a marksman sporting group before 1977:

Link to WaPo Story from 2013 - How NRA’s true believers converted a marksmanship group into a mighty gun lobby

The above is proof that George Orwell was incredibly perceptive in 1984:

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

Because I'm deaf, I can't do a lot of contributions to the fight; but what I *can* do is un-memory hole a lot of things that were forgotten, like these gems from 1934:

MR. HILL. General Cummings, the question has been asked as to how you are going to cheek up on or deal with these prohibited arms now in possession of the people. Now there is not any provision in this bill that I have found that deals with clips, for instance, for a machine gun. It occurs to me that probably to some extent you might check up on the possessors of machine guns by requiring some identification in the purchase of the clips to furnish the ammunition for those guns.

ATTORNEY GENERAL CUMMINGS. That is a very good suggestion, sir—very good.

That's FDR's Attorney General in 1934 saying that magazine control is a good idea. Here's another one of him later that year ranting about the NRA.

The Literary Digest
    June 16, 1934
    Page 19

Club-Women Mapping War on Gangsters

Federation at Odds With Rifle Association After Ban on Pistols Is Deleted From Firearm Sale Regulation Bill

In their war on crime, the club-women of America are out to subjugate organized riflemen in order to get at the gangsters. The riflemen and others want pistols and revolvers readily purchasable for home defense against the gangsters. The clubwomen say that the bill they advocate for the regulation of firearms will not interfere with defense of hearth and home, in which they are as much interested as the men.

In a recent meeting at Hot Springs. Arkansas, the General Federation of Women's Clubs heard the Assistant Attorney-General of the United States. Joseph B. Keenan, say that the National Rifle Association had proved more powerful than the Department of Justice. It seems that the association had pistols and revolvers deleted from a Federal bill to regulate the sale of firearms, before the Ways and Means Committee of the House. Mr. Keenan said that the measure, as written originally, would have done much to check crime. He wanted to know who was running the Government.

Mrs. William Dick Sporborg of Port Chester, New York, chairman of the clubwomen's resolutions committee, jumped to her feet to say that if 1,000,000 members of the Rifle Association were strong enough to get the smaller firearms taken from the bill, “two million American club-women are strong enough to lick them to a frazzle and make them put back into that measure the pistols and revolvers they deleted from it.” Thereupon she offered a resolution, which was adopted and ordered telegraphed to members of the Ways and Means Committee and other Congressional leaders. The resolution expressed the “outrage” felt by the women at the alteration of the bill, and said: “We hold that the security and safety of the homes and families of all the people of this country and the protection of life and property for all the 120,000,000 people of the land transcend the selfish interests of any organized small minority. We hold you accountable for your responsibility to the people of your State and of your country, and demand that the bill to regulate the sale and possession of firearms include pistols and revolvers, and that it be speedily enacted into law.”

Field & Stream, a magazine for sportsmen published in New York City, came to the rescue of the embattled riflemen and Congressmen. In a telegram to the clubwomen, the magazine said it was absurd to think that the Rifle Association was stronger than the Department of Justice, that pistols and revolvers were omitted from the bill “because of the fact that the security and safety of the homes and families of all the people of this country demand it,” and that the proposed law “is a vicious measure that would affect only honest citizens without the slightest effect on criminals, and is believed by many people to be part of an announced effort to ultimately deny all citizens the right to possess firearms of any kind and for any purpose.” The telegram closed with a request that the clubwomen rescind the resolution.

Instead, the club-women reiterated their position. A reply sent to the magazine by Mrs. Grace Morrison Poole, president of the Federation, and Mrs. Sporborg said “that through compliance with regulations that demand proper identification, accredited licensing and registration, no respectable citizen of honest intent would be denied protection.”

“The intent of the campaign that the Federation is waging against the crime wave in this country,” the resolution went on, “is to make it more difficult for the gangster to have access to firearms. The more speedily this country passes laws which disarm the underworld, the increasingly less will be the need of protection on the part of honest citizens. That is the objective of the Federation in its conscientious interest in the homes and lives of the American public. Its slogan is to 'disarm the gangster, not arm the citizenry.' ”

Wait, I thought the NRA was a 'marksmanship group' before 1977?

Why is FDR's attorney general ranting that they're more powerful than the DOJ? :innocent0

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I remember in elementary school being fed the koolaid of the 7 day "cool down" waiting period

I remember in high school at the age of 14 being able to walk into a sporting goods store and buy a box of 22LR for 50 cents.

The interesting thing about all the add-on regulation since then is how the crime curve goes upward along with the increase in regulation.

It's a cultural phenomenon, and it began with the deliberate destruction of the Black family structure by LBJ's Great Society program.

I don't know if it was an unintended consequence, or deliberate, but I have my suspicions.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    It's a cultural phenomenon, and it began with the deliberate destruction of the Black family structure by LBJ's Great Society program.

Crime was already sharply divided on racial lines even before that.

Maryland Vital Statistics Annual Report - 1998
    Division of Health Statistics
    Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
    Parris N. Glendening, Governor
    Georges C. Benjamin, M.D., Secretary

TABLE 38. AGE-ADJUSTED* DEATH RATE PER 100,000 POPULATION FOR SELECTED CAUSES OF DEATH BY RACE AND SEX. MARYLAND, SELECTED YEARS, 1940-1998.

All Races, All Sexes Homicide (960-978)
    1940: 7.5 per 100,000
    1950: 6.4 per 100,000
    1960: 6.1 per 100,000
    1970: 10.6 per 100,000
    1980: 10.0 per 100,000
    1990: 13.0 per 100,000

White Male Homicide (960-978)
    1940: 4.2 per 100,000
    1950: 3.3 per 100,000
    1960: 3.1 per 100,000
    1970: 7.3 per 100,000
    1980: 6.8 per 100,000
    1990: 5.4 per 100,000

Males of All Other Races (incl. Afr Americans) Homicide (960-978)
    1940: 48.4 per 100,000
    1950: 45.5 per 100,000
    1960: 36.9 per 100,000
    1970: 68.4 per 100,000
    1980: 46.9 per 100,000
    1990: 60.4 per 100,000

If you look at what's available of census demography data; the following numbers come out for non-whites as a percentage of Maryland population:

1970:
    Hispanic: 1.1%
    Asian: 0.5%
    Native Americans: 0.1%
    Other Race: 0.1%

1990:
    Hispanic: 1.4%
    Asian: 2.9%
    Native Americans: 0.3%
    Other Race: 0.9%

Also note further that this is a mortality study, rather than a crime study. It's dispassionately counting the # of bodies in the streets that can't be reasonably linked to natural causes of some sort (or accidents).

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    That 1967 bill I mentioned to make long arms "regulated" died:

The Washington Post
    Mar 4, 1967
    Page B2

Bill to Curb Rifle, Shotgun Sale Killed by Maryland House Group
    By A Washington Post Staff Writer

ANNAPOLIS, Mach 3 — A bill that would have extended Maryland's year-old law regulating sale of handguns to include rifles and shotguns was overwhelmingly rejected by a shouting vote in the House Judiciary Committee today.

The bill's fate was almost a foregone conclusion after a hearing yesterday in which sportsmen and legislators harshly criticized it.

Unlike the bill to regulate pistols, this year's all inclusive proposal did not have the support of State law enforcement officials or major gun clubs.

There was also something else in the article:

Action on a bill that would abolish the death penalty in Maryland was postponed in the Senate until Monday.

:sad20:

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Crime was already sharply divided on racial lines even before that.

That is because communities were all still pretty much sharply divided along racial lines.

Black people stayed on their side of the tracks and whites stayed on theirs. Most rarely crossed the tracks. I grew up in what back then was rural Anne Arundel county. If a black person was seen walking in the neighborhood, multiple residents would be calling the police to make a suspicious person's report. Not saying that was right or wrong. Just saying that is the way it was.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    This is an article on the one gun a month bill's effect:

The Washington Post
    May 27, 1998
    Page A1

Md. Handgun Sales Down 25 Percent
    Drop Comes Year After One-a-Month Buying Limit Was Imposed
    By Philip P. Pan
    Washington Post Staff Writer

Handgun sales in Maryland dropped more than 25 percent last year, the first full year of sales since a new state law barred most residents from buying more than one handgun a month.

Gun dealers in the state sold about 21,500 handguns in 1997, down from 29,281 the year before and fewer than in any year since 1986, according to Maryland State Police. Officials attributed much of the decrease to an 80 percent drop in the number of handguns sold in batches of two or more—exactly the type of sales that the law was intended to curtail.

"This bill is working, and we are proud of the results we have seen from it over the past year," Gov. Parris N. Glendening (D) said last week. This one-gun-per-month provision has been a highly effective tool in reducing the numbers of illegal handguns on the streets and in our neighborhoods."

That view is disputed by gun dealers and other opponents of the law, who say the drop in handgun sales results from a routine business downturn. They also say there's no proof the law has kept criminals from getting weapons, and officials report signs that lawbreakers may be turning to rifles and shotguns in place of handguns.

For Glendening, who campaigned four years ago as a strong advocate of gun control, the bill limiting handgun sales was a centerpiece of his crime policy. The General Assembly approved the measure in 1996.

The impact on multiple sales of handguns was immediate, according to police. The number of handguns sold in bundles of two or more fell to 1,618 in the 12 months after the law took effect on Oct. 1, 1996, down from 7,569 in the preceding 12-month period, they said.

Authorities believe that people who purchase several guns at a time or several guns a month are often "straw purchasers" who divert the weapons illegally to criminals. Gun control advocates argue that if the number of handguns people can purchase is restricted; the supply of handguns available to criminals will also shrink.

But authorities said criminals already may be adapting by turning to other weapons.

---

"I think what we've done is pass a responsible, balanced piece of legislation, and it's working."
    — Lt Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend

----

Police in three key Maryland jurisdictions reported large increases in the number of rifles and shotguns seized by police officers in 1997. For example, in Baltimore, the number of long guns seized rose from 844 in 1996 to 1,038 in 1997. The increase was even more marked in Prince George's County, where the number of long guns seized climbed from 269 in 1996 to 460 in 1997.

"We're slowing the flow of guns to the criminal element. We haven't stopped it altogether, but we're slowing it down and we're making Maryland safer," said State Police Superintendent David B. Mitchell, one of the law's strongest supporters.

Opponents disagree, saying gun stores have never been a major source of weapons for criminals and, as a result, the law has only served to annoy legitimate gun owners.

"Realistically, there weren't that many people in the past buying multiple guns," said Steve Snyder, president of the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association and the owner of Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. "But this is just one more hurdle for gun buyers. It's more overhead, more paperwork, more hassle.. . And has it done anything to violent crime in the state? I'm very doubtful."

Bob McMurray, vice president of the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, said that the new law may have cut off one minor source of handguns for criminals but that the impact is negligible because criminals have so many other sources of firearms.

"We're never going to stop criminals from having guns, just like we're never going to stop them from having cocaine," he said.

But new studies of gun trafficking have shown that many if not most handguns used in crimes traveled fairly quickly from stores to criminals to crime scenes, said David Kennedy, a criminologist at Harvard University who studies the illegal firearms market

"We now know there is clearly a problem of diversion of guns from retailers to criminals, and this kind of [one-gun-per-month] statute should put a dent in that," he said.

"But the next question is whether you actually buy any public safety improvement by doing that... The real danger in anything focused on handguns is that you might force criminals into picking up weapons that are actually more dangerous."

Maryland authorities are beginning to see signs of such a shift Unlike for handguns, the state does not require background checks or a waiting period to buy long guns, which are harder to conceal but just as deadly.

Another sign that criminals are adapting is an increase in burglaries of Maryland gun stores. State police said that 13 gun shops in Maryland were burglarized in the 18 months after the gun law went into effect and that about 400 guns were taken. During the 18-month period before the law was enacted, only two gun dealers reported burglaries, police said.

"I hoped they would prove me wrong, that somehow gun violence would disappear," said state Sen. Philip C. Jimeno (D-Anne Arundel), who opposed the one-gun-per-month law. "But criminals could care less."

Mitchell acknowledged that criminals are still finding ways to arm themselves, but he said the law is making it harder for them to do so. At the same time, he said, the law is also making it more difficult for authorities to identify gun traffickers.

"We used to run into cases where we'd find people, 21 years old, no visible means of support, buying 40 or 50 Davis .380s, which is the most common gun used in a murder in Baltimore City," he said. "This isn't rocket science. What do you think was going on?"

Detective Sgt Jack Simpson, who heads the state police firearms unit said the number of guns sold in multiple sales in Maryland and turning up at crime scenes in Washington and Baltimore plummeted from 1995 to 1997—from 23 to zero in the District, and from 26 to four in Baltimore.

About 500 residents—who were screened by police—have registered as gun collectors with the state. Collector status allows them to purchase as many handguns as they want, authorities said. "I think what we've done is pass a responsible, balanced piece of legislation, and it's working," said Lt Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (D), who directs crime policy for the Glendening administration.

Townsend said the gun measure helped bring about a 9 percent drop in homicides, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults statewide in 1997. But violent crime has been falling across the country, and researchers say it's all but impossible to isolate the new gun law's effect on crime in Maryland.

In addition, authorities can't say for certain whether fewer handguns sold in Maryland are being used in crimes, because most police agencies don't trace every gun they confiscate.

But in Baltimore, where police do trace all firearms they recover, fewer handguns from Maryland gun stores are turning up at crime scenes.

The number of handguns seized by police and traced to Maryland stores fell by 33 percent in the 12 months after the gun law went into effect even though officers seized many more handguns during that period, according to city police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

In the District, though, the number of guns seized by police and traced to Maryland shops has hardly changed, according to the ATF. Maryland remains the number one source of firearms for the nation's capital, a distinction the state earned for the first time in 1995, after Virginia passed a one-gun-per-month-law.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maryland Handguns: Once a Month or Not at All

In October 1996, a Maryland law went into effect that limits most residents to one handgun purchase a month. Since then, Maryland's handgun sales have declined. But are the changes coming from the legislation or just a natural downturn in gun sales?

MARYLAND HANDGUN SALES

Handgun sales have been dropping in recent years. Gun dealers attribute this to a cyclical sales slump that is consistent with Maryland's gun sale history. Police say the 27 percent drop in the last year is a result of the one-a-month handgun law.

MULTIPLE SALES

The number of handguns sold in batches of two or more and the number of these handguns that appeared at crime scenes decreased in the 12 months after the law went into effect.

Multiple-sale handguns in Maryland

Oct. '95-Sept. '96: 7,569
    Oct '96–Sept '97: 1,618

Maryland Handguns sold in multiple sales that turned up at crime scenes in each city:

Baltimore:

1995: 26
    1996: 20
    1997: 4

D.C.

1995: 23
    1996: 20
    1997: 0

GUN TYPES

Criminals may be adapting to the new law by turning to weapons that are more loosely regulated, such as shotguns and rifles. Long-gun seizures grew more than twice as fast as handgun seizures in Maryland's top three crime jurisdictions since 1995.

GUNTYPES.GIF

CRIME SCENE HANDGUNS

Some evidence suggests that fewer Maryland handguns are being used in the commission of crimes. For example, although handgun seizures were up 47 percent at crime scenes in Baltimore, handguns traced back to Maryland gun dealers had dropped 33 percent from October 1996 to September 1997.

CrimeSceneGuns.GIF

Attachments

• 1998_One_Gun_Month_Effect.gif
      1998_One_Gun_Month_Effect.gif
      92.9 KB · Views: 185
    • CrimeSceneGuns.gif
      CrimeSceneGuns.gif
      10.5 KB · Views: 193
    • GunTypes.gif
      GunTypes.gif
      14.4 KB · Views: 191

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Hey Larry Hogan, are you listening?

If you want to restore further fiscal sanity to Maryland, overturn MSP Superintendent Tolliver's edict on melting down seized weapons. That's about $50-60K of money that could be returned to state coffers.

The Washington Post
    May 4, 1993
    B2

Maryland State Police To Destroy Seized Guns
    Weapons No Longer Will Be Sold to Dealers
    By Paul W. Valentine

BALTIMORE, May 3—The Maryland State Police announced today that firearms seized by troopers will be destroyed, rather than sold to gun dealers.

The long-standing policy of allowing licensed gun dealers to submit sealed bids for confiscated weapons was reversed by state police Superintendent Larry W. Tolliver, bringing the state police into line with other major police agencies in the region.

"We shouldn't be in the business of selling guns," Tolliver said in an interview. "... The financial gain is not anywhere near the moral gain."

At a news conference today in Annapolis, Gov. William Donald Schaefer said he was surprised when he learned from Tolliver about the former policy on gun sales and applauded the order abolishing it.

"I could never understand why we did that," he said.

The state police sold 413 weapons to gun dealers in 1992 for $50,877, spokesman Johnny Hughes said. Of that total, $9,875 was spent in operating expenses and the rest went into the state treasury, he said.

From now on, Tolliver said, most handguns, rifles and shotguns seized by state troopers will be melted down in a special furnace for destroying weapons.

There may be a few exceptions, he said, such as when troopers confiscate a sniper rifle that could be useful to state police special operations teams or a 9mm Beretta semiautomatic pistol with the same specifications as those issued to troopers.

Hughes said police officials were concerned that some weapons sold to gun dealers "could end up in the hands of a bad guy" through theft or improper resale by a dealer, although there is little evidence that that has happened.

"It's kind of foolish, the number of weapons is .. . minuscule. It's a gesture, but it doesn't do anything," said Sanford M. Abrams, vice president of the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association.

Most other police departments in the area, including Montgomery, Prince George's, Fairfax and Arlington counties, have long disposed of weapons by destroying them.

D.C. police destroy 2,500 to 3,000 weapons a year. In Baltimore, police destroyed almost 3,600 in 1992, a 16 percent increase over 1991.

In Virginia, police agencies, including the state police, usually ask judges how to dispose of seized weapons. Police officials said that judges usually order the weapons destroyed, especially in cases of violent crime. Sometimes weapons are returned to the owners if they are acquitted of technical violations, such as carrying a weapon without a license.

A law recently enacted by the Virginia legislature expanded the authority of judges to dispose of weapons seized in drug-related crimes.

In Maryland, the legislature has taken several step's to stop the proliferation of weapons, especially handguns. It established a Handgun Roster Board in 1988 to screen all makes of handguns and bar the sale of cheap Saturday night specials.

Two months ago, the legislature passed a measure limiting sales of weapons at commercial gun shows.

Staff writer Richard Tapscott contributed to this report

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    And some more proof of why the antigunners never ever stop:

(see underlined passage)

Washington Post
    Friday, May 29, 1998
    A26

Running Out the Gunrunners

IT'S BEEN hard times for gunrunners in Maryland: Handgun sales in the state dropped more than 25 percent in 1997, the first full year of sales since a new state law barred most people from buying more than one handgun a month. This new limit is also, fortunately, a terrible imposition on any Marylanders who want to power up their home or workplace arsenals with more than 12 additional handguns every year. In addition, it messes up the gunrunners who used to be able to hire one straw purchaser to buy handguns by the carload for marketing to criminals. That, in turn, is threatening Maryland's position as a leading supplier of handguns seized by police at crime scenes up and down the East Coast

The all-guns-are-great advocates have been quick to assure residents that the gun-a-month purchase limit isn't the chief cause of declining gun sales. They explain that the decrease is the result of a routine business downturn (think about that one). Gun dealers also argue that there's no proof that the law has kept criminals from getting weapons and that lawbreakers are now turning to rifles and shotguns. Bob McMurray, vice president of the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, says cheerfully: "We're never going to stop criminals from having guns.''

So hey, why not reopen bulk handgun sales? For that matter, why bother with any laws if people are going to break them? Never mind that Maryland State Police Superintendent David B. Mitchell says, "We're slowing the flow of guns to the criminal element We haven't stopped it altogether, but we're slowing it down, and we're making Maryland safer."

It is true that the gunrunners will find other sources of supply. When Virginia went to a handgun purchase limit the operations there could then switch to Maryland. Now they are likely to pop up in another state. That's why law enforcement authorities and people concerned about their public safety make the case for a more effective measure—a uniform purchase limit throughout the country.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Final drop for today:

Vinny DeMarco shows up again; this time going ALL THE WAY, and it shows how gun control groups never die, they just reform:

Marylanders Against Handgun Abuse ->Marylanders To Prevent Gun Violence -- still providing Vinny DeMarco with rent money.

National Council to Control Handguns --> Handgun Control, Inc. --> Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

The Washington Post
    Dec 14, 1993
    B4

Md. Group Proposes Gun-Licensing Measure
    By Charles Babington

Gun-control advocates in Maryland, hoping to tap the growing public concern about firearms, announced a far-reaching legislative agenda yesterday that would require handgun buyers to obtain a state license and to limit purchases to two a year.

At a news conference in Rockville, 21 of Montgomery County's 28 state legislators endorsed the plan, indicating that new gun restrictions enjoy significant political backing in some suburban settings.

But despite the backing of Gov. William Donald Schaefer, supporters said they have little hope of getting the package through the 1994 Maryland General Assembly because gun-control opponents hold key committee positions. Their new strategy is to bring grass-roots pressure to bear on legislative leaders and to force all state lawmakers to take a stand on their proposals before the 1994 elections. They plan similar news conferences next month in Prince George's County, Baltimore and elsewhere.

"People used to say you can't vote for gun control in an election year," said Vincent DeMarco, director of Marylanders Against Handgun Abuse. Citing recent opinion polls, he said: "Now we say you can't vote against gun control in an election year."

DeMarco's group drafted the legislative plan with the help of the national organization Handgun Control Inc. Both groups cited a recent Maryland poll conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates that found that 80 percent of the respondents support permit requirements for handgun purchases as well as mandatory training and testing of owners.

Richard Gardiner, legislative counsel for the National Rifle Association, dismissed the poll, saying most people don't understand existing gun regulations or the implications of questions on such gun-related telephone surveys.

Bonnie Kirkland, Schaefer's chief lobbyist, said the governor would support the main elements of the package in the 90-day legislative session that begins Jan. 12. But Schaefer in recent years has been unable to win passage of less ambitious gun-control measures, such as a proposed ban on assault weapons, and it's doubtful he will have better luck in his eighth and final legislative session as governor.

Gun-ownership groups condemned the legislative package and said the majority of Marylanders would not support it.

"It is an extremely radical proposal," said Bob McMurray, spokesman for the Maryland State Pistol and Rifle Association. The Virginia plan to limit handgun purchases to one a month—passed after a hard-fought battle early this year— seemed far-reaching at first, he said. The Maryland plan would go much further, he noted, limiting purchases to two a year. "Fortunately for us," he said, "the Montgomery County delegation is considered lightweights in Annapolis."

Brad Coker, president of Mason-Dixon Political/Media Research, said the public generally supports mandatory waiting periods and criminal background checks for handgun purchases. "The support level starts dropping" for proposals such as "licensing people and limiting the number of guns you can purchase," he said.

The package introduced yesterday would require any Marylander who buys or receives a handgun to be licensed by the state police. In addition to the felony convictions that now bar gun purchases in the state, the proposal would let police deny a license to those who are convicted of misdemeanor assault— such as spouse abuse—or those deemed to have "a propensity for violence." Applicants would have to pass a test dealing with handgun safety and risks.

State residents would have to surrender all but 10 of their handguns unless the state police gave them a "special-need permit," for which "bona fide collectors" could qualify. Also, persons younger than 21 could not possess handguns except under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.

Philip L. Lee, leader of a Montgomery County group called Voices Versus Violence, opened the news conference by calling the legislative package "the most comprehensive gun-control plan in the country."

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Interested, yes.

Actually having enough time to turn all this into a coherent narrative? Not sure.

I've already made a few stabs at making a semi coherent timeline for a debate on another board:

1960: 5.4 Murder Rate, 7.2 Forcible Rape Rate, 37.3 Robbery Rate, 101.3 Aggravated Assault Rate

1966: Maryland mandates a 7 day waiting period and a background check/registration by MD State Police for all new handgun sales from dealers.

1967: 8.0 Murder Rate, 19.6 Forcible Rape Rate, 212.1 Robbery Rate, 234.5 Aggravated Assault Rate

1968: Maryland has the highest violent crime rate in the nation, and 6th highest overall crime rate in the nation. Baltimore is the bloodiest city in the nation.

1970: 7.2 Murder Rate, 23.9 Forcible Rape Rate, 338.6 Robbery Rate, 253.3 Aggravated Assault Rate

1972: Maryland makes it illegal to carry a handgun without a permit from the Maryland State Police. Before this, it appears Maryland was permitless carry. Permit is designed so that you need a "Good and substantial" need.

1975: 10.7 Murder Rate, 31.5 Forcible Rape Rate, 344.2 Robbery Rate, 323.4 Aggravated Assault Rate

Something like that but a bit more in detail -- like the 1972 entry would now have a lot more of the information I uncovered; like the 1971 rifle murders leading to Mandel calling for handgun permits.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Interested, yes.

Actually having enough time to turn all this into a coherent narrative? Not sure.

I've already made a few stabs at making a semi coherent timeline for a debate on another board:

Something like that but a bit more in detail -- like the 1972 entry would now have a lot more of the information I uncovered; like the 1971 rifle murders leading to Mandel calling for handgun permits.

Perhaps a Wiki for Maryland changes by year?

Start the wiki pages and then have folks pith in to organize.

And yes, please, what Mark75H said, don't stop.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have some 'gifts' for you.

A book.

I was at the Wheaton Library FOL bookstore and saw a book on gun control. It was copyrighted (C) National Rifle Association and it was full of the "prehistory" of Gun Control.

Skimming it, my mind was blown at what went on long before I was born.

Alas, at some point the book went missing, no doubt due to roomates.

Several years ago while at U of MD College Park, I decided "hey, maybe McKeldin has it?"

And lo and behold, I found it again.

The book was "Gun Control" by Robert Kukla.

I got myself another copy, and it kind of faded to the background; but recently came back to the front-ish of my mind thanks to the media claiming recently that the NRA used to be a marksman sporting group before 1977:

Link to WaPo Story from 2013 - How NRA’s true believers converted a marksmanship group into a mighty gun lobby

The above is proof that George Orwell was incredibly perceptive in 1984:

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

Because I'm deaf, I can't do a lot of contributions to the fight; but what I *can* do is un-memory hole a lot of things that were forgotten, like these gems from 1934:

That's FDR's Attorney General in 1934 saying that magazine control is a good idea. Here's another one of him later that year ranting about the NRA.

Wait, I thought the NRA was a 'marksmanship group' before 1977?

Why is FDR's attorney general ranting that they're more powerful than the DOJ? :innocent0

The book is still available on Amazon ... Gun control Hardcover – 1973 Used as low as $.22 plus shipping.

I just ordered a copy for my personal library.

SPQM, I have a pretty extensive collection of books and literature on Gun Control, with many dupes that came from SAF's Gun Rights Policy Conference. If you're looking for additional reference material, I'll give you the duplicate copies. Considering your talent for digging into gun control history, I'm sure that they will be welcome.

PM me and make arrangements for me to deliver them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom