• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    "They" is the roster board. The roster board is not composed of state employees, and has no ability whatsoever to tell you what is or is not an assault pistol. They cannot make something legal for sale if it's banned legislatively.

Everyone who bought an MPA10SST has literally sent a form to the MSP declaring that they've committed a criminal act. It is utterly mind-boggling.

The licensing division needs to get their f'ing act together and start enforcing the law as it's written, not as they wish it was written.

what does the roster do if not determine which handguns are legal for purchase in maryland? if the roster isnt at least a little bit legally binding, why have one at all?

i hope i dont sound combative or anything. i genuinely want to know since, i'm one of those dummies that assumed if it's on the roster then its legal to buy and own.

it shoots great by the way :thumbsup:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    what does the roster do if not determine which handguns are legal for purchase in maryland? if the roster isnt at least a little bit legally binding, why have one at all?

i hope i dont sound combative or anything. i genuinely want to know since, i'm one of those dummies that assumed if it's on the roster then its legal to buy and own.

The handgun roster has 13 (believe) criteria they are tasked with evaluating a handgun with, with a mandate to put no undue weight on any point. All the criteria are safety related, as the point of the roster was to make Saturday night specials non-transferable in the state of MD. The "Assault Weapon" language they add to some of the guns is extralegal at best, and totally unenforceable.

Do you mind sharing who did the transfer, because I try to reach out to people doing things that can get them in trouble, we don't need dealers getting popped for stupid stuff.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Let us know how much trigger time you get in jail, when his Froshness is charging you with possession of an assault pistol. :innocent0

But, seriously, your dealer screwed you. I want to hear someone tell me "their shop, their rules" ONE MORE ****ING TIME.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD

Thats what I thought too.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Let us know how much trigger time you get in jail, when his Froshness is charging you with possession of an assault pistol. :innocent0

But, seriously, your dealer screwed you. I want to hear someone tell me "their shop, their rules" ONE MORE ****ING TIME.

Nah, it only works that way when they charge crazy fees or make you wait 2 weeks to pick up a pistol ;)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    "They" is the roster board. The roster board is not composed of state employees, and has no ability whatsoever to tell you what is or is not an assault pistol. They cannot make something legal for sale if it's banned legislatively.

Everyone who bought an MPA10SST has literally sent a form to the MSP declaring that they've committed a criminal act. It is utterly mind-boggling.

The licensing division needs to get their f'ing act together and start enforcing the law as it's written, not as they wish it was written.

Ummm, No it's not, it is made up of appointees by the Governor:

And at least two of them are "ours" NRA/State Association & Dealer;

§ 5-404. Handgun Roster Board

(a) Established. -- There is a Handgun Roster Board in the Department of State Police.

(b) Membership; appointment. --

(1) The Board consists of 11 members.

(2) Of the 11 members of the Board:

(i) one shall be the Secretary as an ex officio member;

(ii) ten shall be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and

(iii) all shall be Maryland residents.

(3) Of the ten appointed members of the Board:

(i) one shall be a representative of the Association of Chiefs of Police;

(ii) one shall be a representative of the Maryland State's Attorneys' Association;

(iii) one shall be a handgun dealer, gunsmith, or representative of a handgun manufacturer;

(iv) one shall be a resident of the State who is a representative of the National Rifle Association or its affiliated State association;

(v) one shall be a representative of an organization that advocates against handgun violence; and

(vi) five shall be public members, two of whom shall be mechanical or electrical engineers.

(c) Tenure. -- The term of an appointed member is 4 years.

(d) Chairman. -- The Secretary shall serve as chairman.

(e) Meetings. -- The Board shall meet at the request of the chairman or of a majority of the members.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36J(a); 2003, ch. 5, § 2; 2008, ch. 469.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    So you are saying what I need to do is spend more money to buy the rifle version. And pay even more money to Duffys to cut down the barrel. Instead of saving money buying the pistol version and saving money by cutting out gunsmithing fees and just throw on the stock myself. Thats just dumb in the end both methods get the same SBR. One method will just cost a lot more unnecessarily.

I meant Duffys getting the pistol and creating an SBR for you. But its moot as I stated a pistol + stock would not make OAL. A M10 is less than a foot long. Where do you get the other 17"+. No stock is that long. So you would be spending a lot of coin either way. I bet its cheaper to chop the carbine to the legal length vs having to find something to pin to the pistol bbl (plus getting the stock separately)

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland

Jail time? What is the actual punishment for violating 4-301? I'm no expert on the code, but what does this say?

It says, "the wrong section of code."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Jail time? What is the actual punishment for violating 4-301? I'm no expert on the code, but what does this say?
    Read on to 4-306.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.
    Bye-bye gun rights!

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    This is nonsense there should be some legal protection since the FFL is the one that let it in the state. Besides MDSP put it on the roster. All these laws are nonsense anyway that just make it convoluted about the legality of firearms. The MAC-10 just got a bad rap for no reason. And its been legislated to death.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    I meant Duffys getting the pistol and creating an SBR for you. But its moot as I stated a pistol + stock would not make OAL. A M10 is less than a foot long. Where do you get the other 17"+. No stock is that long. So you would be spending a lot of coin either way. I bet its cheaper to chop the carbine to the legal length vs having to find something to pin to the pistol bbl (plus getting the stock separately)

I see.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    This is nonsense there should be some legal protection since the FFL is the one that let it in the state. Besides MDSP put it on the roster. All these laws are nonsense anyway that just make it convoluted about the legality of firearms. The MAC-10 just got a bad rap for no reason. And its been legislated to death.

No offense intended, but it's no defense that the drug dealer sold you the crack, so you thought it was legal. That's why a knowledgable FFL matters.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    No offense intended, but it's no defense that the drug dealer sold you the crack, so you thought it was legal. That's why a knowledgable FFL matters.

Not exactly. Crack we all know is illegal. No if and or buts about it. But then there is MDSP suggesting the MPA Defender is legal in the roster. The MDSP isn't suggesting crack is legal. Its like they want to entrap you for buying one of these.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Not exactly. Crack we all know is illegal. No if and or buts about it. But then there is MDSP suggesting the MPA Defender is legal in the roster. The MDSP isn't suggesting crack is legal. Its like they want to entrap you for buying one of these.

I see no such suggestion. People are confused what the Roster is and it's intention, as well as the Roster's legislative powers.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    I see no such suggestion. People are confused what the Roster is and it's intention, as well as the Roster's legislative powers.

from the MDSP FAQ page under firearms and "what handguns are approved for sale in Maryland" it links you to the roster

not saying it's right, and i'm definitely confused as to what the actual rosters intention is, but it does sort of suggest that if its on the roster then it can be legally purchased in MD.

in the case of the MPA, i wonder if the DMG model (takes glock mags) was submitted since it looks more like a drill than a MAC11.

at any length, enough concern has been raised that i intend to do something that is unquestionably legal with my defender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom