• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMR1121

Oct 3, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Just received my Maryland CCW and looking for advice based on CCW restrictions. My restriction states it is only valid while employed by my current employer. I have at least 10 years before retirement but wanted to know whether I should appeal my restrictions now within the 10-day initial appeals process or wait since I have at least 10 years before it will come into play? Thanks in advance to everyone.

Just received my Maryland CCW and looking for advice based on CCW restrictions. My restriction states it is only valid while employed by my current employer. I have at least 10 years before retirement but wanted to know whether I should appeal my restrictions now within the 10-day initial appeals process or wait since I have at least 10 years before it will come into play? Thanks in advance to everyone.

Too vague. Give us something to work with.
    Also- Go to the introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. It really helps with our BS meters.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

First, congratulations on getting a permit.

Don't even bother appealing job-based restrictions yet based on a different job 10 years in the future. Your permit will renew several times before then, and each time it renews it will revert to the same restrictions as when originally issued unless your G&S answer is significantly upgraded.

Now IF you have arbitrary and capricious restrictions, you might want to consider attending some of the HPRB meetings in Crownsville every other week to see what actually works to remove restrictions, and definitely join Maryland Shall Issue for helpful info and to support the cause.

So far the MSP LD completely ignores precedent from the HPRB's removal of restrictions, and always goes with their original standards.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I may be taking creative liberty with your question and maybe not understand it fully .

But challenge your restrictions if you feel that the restrictions place you in a dangerous or unhealthy position . The MSP place restrictions as a form of control and IMHO try to have a reason to snatch you up if they feel you are carrying outside those placed restrictions .The wisest thing mentioned here is to attend HPRB meetings and gain knowledge first hand , it can be boring but you will learn how our open hearings are suppose to work .

The HPRB is the only thing we have to help permit holders . Get involved , join MSI it will be the best thing for you down the road .

JMR1121

Oct 3, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorry if my original post was a little confusing. Little more background on me. Part of my justification was regarding my employment with the Department of Defense. Appears Maryland State Police took that into account when approving my permit. My only restriction was that my permit is only valid as long as I remain employed by the DoD. My initial thought is that sense I will remain employed there for at least 10 more years is to not worry about going through the appeals process to remove my restriction at this time.

Sorry if my original post was a little confusing. Little more background on me. Part of my justification was regarding my employment with the Department of Defense. Appears Maryland State Police took that into account when approving my permit. My only restriction was that my permit is only valid as long as I remain employed by the DoD. My initial thought is that sense I will remain employed there for at least 10 more years is to not worry about going through the appeals process to remove my restriction at this time.

I take this as MSP's stance is "the only reason you got the permit is because of your job's elevated potential for bad things to happen. If you no longer have the job, you no longer need the permit." (I am inclined to say you were a victim of the data breech)
    Now, if something actually happened to you because of this job, I would do an appeal.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I take this as MSP's stance is "the only reason you got the permit is because of your job's elevated potential for bad things to happen. If you no longer have the job, you no longer need the permit." (I am inclined to say you were a victim of the data breech)
    Now, if something actually happened to you because of this job, I would do an appeal.

The problem is that you remain a potential target. As an example, anyone associated with unmanned aviation is at risk...particularly if that association is public.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Wonder why MSPs logic doesn't extend to themselves when they leave/retire?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    First, it’s not a “CCW”. It is a Maryland Handgun Permit, as it states on the front of the permit itself.

Despite Maryland State Police intimidation, Maryland has no laws strictly prohibiting open carry. For example security guards and special police carry under the same permit. It’s still not recommended to open carry, but that’s another debate.

Second, based on your descriptions, the threats you face, the reason your permit was issued, do not expire upon your separation from employment.

In that case, under your self described circumstances, you would have to immediately surrender your permit upon separation.

It might take a minimum of 90 days, or up to a year to reapply or appeal your restrictions to the HPRB.

My advice is stop calling it a CCW, Appeal your restrictions to the HPRB within 10 days and continually seek training, and practice for your shooting skills and legal education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom