• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So if you do a loan to a friend and nobody else sees it or knows about it, is it a crime? :shrug:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    they changed "transferee" and "transferror" to basically buyer/seller (not sure why except clarity) and it looks as though they lined up the loan language with what already passed.

But the amendment says "incomplete" so this may not be all.

They might have changed that language up because of the revised definition of "transfer" that they are going for. So, by changing that language up, it only applies to the actual SALE of the firearm to somebody. I would be ecstatic if this is what the end result is. UBC for all sales in Maryland with no background check needed to loan a gun to a friend to go hunting or to the range. Granted, I have no idea how this reconciles with the new definition of "transfer". Believe the new definition of transfer was to prevent temporary loans to people and to prevent defendants from relying on Chow v. State.

You need to look at the 'transfer bill" and the "ubc" bill in conjunction to see how they will work together.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Delegate Atterbeary said there was an out of state workaround when complaining to the Baltimore Sun that her LQL bill had been "gutted". Does she mean two MD residents crossing the border to VA to make a long gun sale (MD resident to MD resident)?

First, I don't know if this is legal (should MD pass a law that requires a NICS check between two residents, I believe federal law says that you must minimally follow your states law even if out of state). Second, who's going to go to the trouble? If someone wants to break the law/not comply, why go out of state?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    What opinion would Frosh have on that question? I can't see him opining that borrowing, transferring or an actual sale would be substantively different in terms of a violation of law. I wouldn't want to be the test case on that.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Alright, just read through HB96 that adds LOAN and BORROWER and I think I am fine with the UBC only applying to actual sales of firearms and not loans.

As long as you have to say "I think" you really won't know until either the charges are dropped or you start serving your time.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am wondering if the buyer/seller change is being made so that loans don’t have such damned narrowed provisions? Not sure why they’d change it otherwise. I’d really like to see the actual text of the senate version.

To permit for gifts between non family members? No buyer and seller with gifts. Or to allow long term (all summer) loans to members of a shooting team?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    The only workaround I see is the fact that we won't follow their unconstitutional law.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Alright, just read through HB96 that adds LOAN and BORROWER and I think I am fine with the UBC only applying to actual sales of firearms and not loans.

I'm glad you're "fine" with UBC. What other infringements would you be fine with?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If I, as a private citizen, had the ability to run a background check on a stranger before I sold them a gun I would do it. It doesn't really come up that much for me because I really don't sell much of anything.

I do have a problem with the state requiring it. If someone is shady they'll just buy from other shady people (like they do now) all this will do is add expense and aggravation for people who will try and follow this law.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

Attachments

• D5B5687A-40DA-4A1C-A570-C1457BD6A737.jpeg
      D5B5687A-40DA-4A1C-A570-C1457BD6A737.jpeg
      96.1 KB · Views: 385
    • 8E371197-972D-4304-9B5C-0C86BE9B0E26.jpeg
      8E371197-972D-4304-9B5C-0C86BE9B0E26.jpeg
      58 KB · Views: 363
    • 1898900A-843E-4109-AC72-BD65600DC84F.jpg
      1898900A-843E-4109-AC72-BD65600DC84F.jpg
      119.5 KB · Views: 359
    • E61E7A8A-E6EA-46F8-9F49-F2C06E4CD455.jpg
      E61E7A8A-E6EA-46F8-9F49-F2C06E4CD455.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 332

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If I, as a private citizen, had the ability to run a background check on a stranger before I sold them a gun I would do it. It doesn't really come up that much for me because I really don't sell much of anything.

I do have a problem with the state requiring it. If someone is shady they'll just buy from other shady people (like they do now) all this will do is add expense and aggravation for people who will try and follow this law.

Tell me where you would go and buy a gun off the black market should you end up being prohibited? Requiring a UBC makes it virtually impossible for a shady buyer to pull the wool over a law abiding seller's eyes. Supply and demand would make the purchase of black market guns even more expensive.

How many gun owners in Maryland really do any serious due diligence before selling a firearm FTF?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you are caught committing a crime with the illegally transferred rifle you got from me "he stole it." Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

She is a politician. Isn't the definition of a politician "a liar so accomplished at the feat that it puts attorneys to shame."

If she were that accomplished she would not have been caught twice on camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom