• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cookmi1

Mar 30, 2019
    Hello all, i am a first time handgun owner. Purchased a Canik TP9SFX with the Viper Red Dot. Bought my wife a Canik TP9SF Elite. Went over to Freestate Gun Range on Saturday to shoot them for the first time. It was Awesome.. very impressed with my wife, she liked it so much we went back on Sunday.

I do have a question though.. What makes 9mm 115 Grain ammo so different? When using Brazer Brass on Saturday, my gun jammed on every round. My wifes went through it like it was nothing. Since she wanted to go back on Sunday, i went to Walmart and bought 4 different packs of ammo all 115 grain. Bought Federal Brass, Federal Aluminum, Winchester and Remington.
    Started with Federal Brass, jammed after 3 shots, Winchester had no issues, Remington had No issues and Federal Aluminum No issues. Tried the Federal Brass again and jammed after 3 shots and tried the Brazer Brass and jammed after each shot.

What i mean by jam is the casing would get stuck in the slide.

Just wondering if there is any Ammo wizards that would know the answer what makes ammo eject differently then others?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Sounds to me more like how the case is designed or the lip the ejector grabs on to. Both my Sigs, tend to eat anything I throw in it. But I have to admit I haven't used Wolf or Tula ammo.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Most semi-automatic firearms will have tendencies to feed and fire ammunition differently. Life is simpler when all of your guns shoot anything equally well. Life is rarely that simple.

First, I suggest that you have different people shoot the handgun with the problem ammunition. A cheap way to determine whether it is you, the firearm, or the ammunition. If another shooter puts two magazines of your problem ammunition through your gun, without problems...you guessed it, the problem is you. Not to worry, limp wristing is common in new shooters and is not an indication of your manliness. It happens to many people from time to time. This problem can be solved with training. Second, if the some problem exists with other shooters, then you can have a gunsmith go over the gun to make certain there aren't any issues. Take a couple of boxes of the problem ammunition with you and most smiths will test fire the weapon. You do have a preferred smith correct? It's like having a dentist or mechanic...you will eventually need one so start looking around for one now. Even if you are able to do most of the work yourself, it is great having someone you can turn to when you become lost in the wilderness of gun repair. Third, buy a few different boxes of ammunition and run them through the gun. It's fun and educational. Different brands, different bullet weights, different bullet styles, ie fmj, hp, rn, etc...

Find some people to shoot with. Preferably people who have a little more trigger time than you do. Having someone watch me shoot is helpful for me. Find someone who has a lot more trigger time than you do and who has the right personality to help you develop good habits. Training is the gift that pays for itself, in enjoyment, technique, and safety.

So glad you and your wife both enjoy shooting. That alone will make your trigger time much more enjoyable.

Be safe.

Cookmi1

Mar 30, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions CStone. I actually did all those suggestions. While at Freestate on Saturday, i had one of the trainers fire my gun and he started marking the magazines when there was an issue. I also purchased different box of ammo from the range to see if it was an ammo issue but that also jammed after around 3 shots. That was Winchester 115 Grain but it was in a brown box. The Winchester i purchased from Walmart fired without an issue. I am a member at Freestate and i believe they have a Gunsmith there.

So here is my experience so far with ammo:
    Federal Brass 115 Grain - Jam after 3 shots
    Brazer Brass 115 Grain - Jam after every shot
    Winchester 115 Grain - No Issues
    Remington 115 Grain - No Issues
    Federal Aluminum - No issues

My wife's gun went through all that ammo without issue..

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Since your wife had no issues have her shoot the SFX with the problem ammo and see if she has the same issue. If she does not than it may be something you are doing. If she has the same issue try the SFX magazines in her SF Elite. The only difference between the two magazines is the SFX is longer so it will stick out of the SF Elite. If they run through her gun fine then you try shooting her gun with the SFX magazines. If you have problems with it then it’s you. If you don’t have problems then it’s something wrong with the SFX and you need to contact Century to have it repaired.

Edit: Just saw you made a post while I was writing mine. Since the trainer had issues too skip my first part and go right to trying the SFX magazines in the SF Elite.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Welcome Cookmi1! I also bought a tp9sfx with viper a while back and like it. If yours isn't working with several brands of common/decent ammo, I'd contact canik and hopefully they'll have you ship it back to check out. Other than the very first shot, mine's been perfect over a handful of matches I've used it in, and super accurate.

Cookmi1

Mar 30, 2019
    Thanks for the reply, i did try my mags in her gun with the problem ammo and had no issues. I have contacted Century to get their input, just waiting for a reply.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m wondering if the weight of the red dot is causing issues with it cycling properly?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I’m wondering if the weight of the red dot is causing issues with it cycling properly?

i ran the uspsa stage at the nra world shoot last year and we used caniks with viper red dots and other than a very petite lady and a guy with huge hands either crushing the grip or riding the slide, thousands of rounds went thru those guns with zero gun failures of any kind. that's why i bought mine.

the canik/viper combo is the only combo i've tried so far where it's real easy to pick up and stay on the dot. the others (glock/rmr, sig x5/romeo, etc) have the dot too far above the slide and i'm so used to iron sights that i just can't pick the dots up very good.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    i ran the uspsa stage at the nra world shoot last year and we used caniks with viper red dots and other than a very petite lady and a guy with huge hands either crushing the grip or riding the slide, thousands of rounds went thru those guns with zero gun failures of any kind. that's why i bought mine.

the canik/viper combo is the only combo i've tried so far where it's real easy to pick up and stay on the dot. the others (glock/rmr, sig x5/romeo, etc) have the dot too far above the slide and i'm so used to iron sights that i just can't pick the dots up very good.

What ammo were you running? Maybe he needs something a little hotter to break it in?

Cookmi1

Mar 30, 2019
    Just got e response back from Century. They recommend me using a higher grain ammo for the break in period. Around 500 rounds should do it to break in the recoil spring.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'd just stick with the ammo that works 100%. For home defense ammo, I test 3 full mags. If I get no FTF/FTEs I call it good and stick with that. I've had good luck with the WWB 115gr 9mm from Wally's but most of my pistols are "broken in".

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016

For future reference, if the extra mass of the red dot sight is the root cause, would a lighter spring help? An easy test would be to remove the red dot and see how she runs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    What ammo were you running? Maybe he needs something a little hotter to break it in?

i don't remember, but it wasn't anything special/hot.

i've only shot mine a couple of matches, with 124 fed american eagle i got from you, and some in 147g and also blazer aluminum 147g, just basic ammo nothing hot.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    did you clean and oil the pistol before taking it to the range? and how many total rounds did you shoot through it? not uncommon for firearms to be stiff until 2-500 rounds. just keep firing and cleaning after each trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom