• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I’m applying for my DC concealed carry permit and am exempt from the 16 hour and 2 hour training for being a LEO. But I saw there is no exemption for training on DC laws. Is there a specific class available for this?

Thanks

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Here's DC's link to 'Trained Concealed Carry Firearms Instructors':

Concealed Carry Firearms Training Instructors Certified by MPDhttps://mpdc.dc.gov/node/1069042

There're a few on the list that I'm familiar with such as Arif H. Mosrie, George L. Lyon, and Leon Spears.

There are a few here on MDS such as Cypherpunk, etc. who I'm not familiar with but are available.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    If you are a LEO with at least 10 years of service you may be covered by the LEOSA law. If you are not familiar with the LEOSA there is lots of info online about the requirements. See: https://le.nra.org/understanding-leosa/leosa/ Also, your agency should have some information about it. I hope this info is helpful.

Yes I am covered under LEOSA. Personally I prefer to have the carry permit as well.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Here's DC's link to 'Trained Concealed Carry Firearms Instructors':

Concealed Carry Firearms Training Instructors Certified by MPDhttps://mpdc.dc.gov/node/1069042

There're a few on the list that I'm familiar with such as Arif H. Mosrie, George L. Lyon, and Leon Spears.

There are a few here on MDS such as Cypherpunk, etc. who I'm not familiar with but are available.

I skimmed through the list and it seems most were offering the complete course. I’m trying to find a course for just the DC firearm and self defense laws that is required for everyone.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I skimmed through the list and it seems most were offering the complete course. I’m trying to find a course for just the DC firearm and self defense laws that is required for everyone.

Some of them will likely offer the DC Law portion by itself. I know that George Lyon does.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Leon Spears also offers the DC law portion by itself.
    I took an early morning DC Law class for him, made a short trip on Metro to the DC Police office, and made my application in one easy trip. I was home by noon.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    So I’m applying for my DC concealed carry permit and am exempt from the 16 hour and 2 hour training for being a LEO. But I saw there is no exemption for training on DC laws. Is there a specific class available for this?

Thanks

Have you actually contacted the MPD Firearms Registration Section about getting a DC CCP? You indicated in your original post that you are exempt from all of the training, but it has been my experience that the MPD never waives the entire 16 hours of class and 2 hours of range. Usually, when you apply for the DC CCP, they give you a form waiving a portion of the training, but not all of it. If you have not applied for your CCP, I would recommend that you first give the FRS a call to discuss your personal situation. The FRS staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And they are quite insistent that training be within 2 years of applying, including military service.

They would not accept my DD214 because I served in 1970-1972

No other state I have a permit from has this requirement

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    If you would care to share, I would love to know how you were exempted from the 16 hours of classroom and 2 hours of range. However you were required to take the DC Law (Red Book) section?

Thanks!

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    You can contact me! I will teach you the law portion for free! all I asked was how you were exempt from everything but the Law.

Yes I am a DC CCW Instructor.

Cager21

Sep 6, 2019
    Hi, Tom… My husband and I are veterans and got an email back from the DC firearms folks confirming that we would be waived from the training with a DD214. Except elsewhere in the DC information it says that this would not exempt us from the law portion of the class. I don't suppose your offer still stands? It's been very hard to find an instructor who would just teach that segment.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC will only honor a DD214 dated within 2 years of your application date. I don’t know of any other jurisdiction that does this, including MD.

I was discharged in 1971. So no DC permit for me

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hi, Tom… My husband and I are veterans and got an email back from the DC firearms folks confirming that we would be waived from the training with a DD214. Except elsewhere in the DC information it says that this would not exempt us from the law portion of the class. I don't suppose your offer still stands? It's been very hard to find an instructor who would just teach that segment.
    There are a couple people who do the law class via Zoom, etc... just have to search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom