• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Years ago, a hotly-debated topic was the issue of an AR being Franken if it wasn't a factory-complete rifle or nearly so. God forbid if the lower and upper (receivers or complete) were from different sources.

Now that AR platforms have wildly taken off in popularity and aftermarket support, is that argument finally dead and gone?

Just wondering what others think. Out of all my AR rifles, none is factory-complete, not even close. And I like it that way.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Years ago, a hotly-debated topic was the issue of an AR being Franken if it wasn't a factory-complete rifle or nearly so. God forbid if the lower and upper (receivers or complete) were from different sources.

Now that AR platforms have wildly taken off in popularity and aftermarket support, is that argument finally dead and gone?

Just wondering what others think. Out of all my AR rifles, none is factory-complete, not even close. And I like it that way.

I have one factory, the others I built. I, too, like it that way.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Now that you mention it, none of mine are, either. I've never bought a complete AR.

But, I believe some folks count it against the rifle when the owner decides to sell said rifle. I've never sold a complete rifle, either.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I bought a 6920 before the ban. I only get it out when I take first-timers to the range because all of my franken AR's have very light Geissele triggers in them. I learned that isn't a good idea when my mom bump fired a few bursts. She thought it was pretty awesome, but we got some funny looks from downrange.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I wouldn't want to buy a home build unless it was cheap. I'd rather build my own or buy a factory rifle. Just a personal preference.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Never bought a complete one. All four are Franken ARs and run just fine. I think the argument against them is dead assuming you are using decent quality components in the build. If you use junk parts and cobble it together then best of luck.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wouldn't want to buy a home build unless it was cheap. I'd rather build my own or buy a factory rifle. Just a personal preference.

I wouldn't buy a home-built gun. I trust mine, but God knows what other people have done.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For the sake of the discussion, let's ignore budget home builds with low-rent parts and questionable workmanship. Assume we're talking quality home builds, probably with top-shelf parts, versus OEM complete rifles. Include mismatched complete uppers and lowers in the discussion, upgraded or not.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For the sake of the discussion, let's ignore budget home builds with low-rent parts and questionable workmanship. Assume we're talking quality home builds, probably with top-shelf parts, versus OEM complete rifles.

I would guess this is probably why most people build AR's. It's tough to get exactly what you want from a factory rifle. That said, I would never be interested in selling any of my AR's, because they are EXACTLY what I want.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For the sake of the discussion, let's ignore budget home builds with low-rent parts and questionable workmanship. Assume we're talking quality home builds, probably with top-shelf parts, versus OEM complete rifles. Include mismatched complete uppers and lowers in the discussion, upgraded or not.

That's the problem. I could provide receipts, but I can't prove I put a Young's National Match BCG versus some generic BCG in that particular upper.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

That's a hell of an assumption.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I see more home and shop built AR's for problems than factory built models. Lots more.

Unless someone broke out a dremel, most problems can be remedied with some minor fitting or proper re-assembly.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with franken guns AND factory built AR's are Feed Ramps problems, Gas Port sizing, Gas Tube/Barrel Nut alignment, and proper Gas Key installation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I see more home and shop built AR's for problems than factory built models. Lots more.

Unless someone broke out a dremel, most problems can be remedied with some minor fitting or proper re-assembly.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with franken guns AND factory built AR's are Feed Ramps problems, Gas Port sizing, Gas Tube/Barrel Nut alignment, and proper Gas Key installation.

I took a class from some handsome bastard with a great ass which taught me all about that stuff.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And the middle ground is purchase a complete lower and attach a complete upper.

I look at the term "Franken gun" , the same way I do the term "Bubba'd" . Which is to say not the same as most here do.

To Me , Franken implies low quality parts, poor workmanship,and in an off the wall combination.

But the big question is are you more concerned about lowest possible buy in ? Having a particular combination of parts and features not commonly seen in mass produced guns ? Or resale value? Do you hang on to your rifles forever, or frequently sell , trade, buy somthing else?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Depends on who you ask. LOTS of consumers just eat up the loads of B.S. from an advertisements.

Ohhhhh! This Gas Piston will make your AR AWESOME! :tdown::sad20:

Problem is, some people consider JUNK as top shelf. I consider NiB junk because my experience tells me its junk.

Some people consider Nitrided barrels an improvement. I say most of them are inferior because they are treated after the BBL Extension is installed.

Some people consider 1 piece Gas Rings an improvement. I know they are junk.

Some people think certain Rail Systems are improvement. I think many are far from it.

Some people say that drop in triggers (pack triggers) are an improvement. My experience tells me that Factory FCG's, Geissele, and LaRue are the ones that work the most consistently and safely.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I put together a gun with the exact parts I want. From the trigger to the grip to the stock. Usually higher-end parts, but sometimes the parts I want are not always the most expensive. For example, I have a MFT minimalist stock on my 9mm AR. I'm not worried about resale value because I will not be selling any of my guns.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    When I first started to get into the AR world and heard the term FrankenAR my first thought was "That's what I want to build!!!". I don't think either of mine have two major components from the same maker.

Love 'em that way!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom