• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    If you wanted to build a can that you could change the end caps on, am I right to assume the baffle stack must be supported in the tube by other means than the end cap?

Yes. You can secure the baffle stack buy using a snap ring, set screws, or anything that holds it in place when the end caps are not connected.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    What's your preferred method of doing this? I'm looking at making a 30 cal TI D cell can.

I don't have a preferred method, as i don't have a need to do so.

I have kicked around the idea of having a lightweight nut made to screw inside the can that the end caps would press up against, but still do not have a need to move forward.

The biggest reason I would try something like this is to use on different host, not calibers. Changing the 30 cal end cap to a 556 end cap would make very little difference that to me it's not worth the hassle.

Now let's say you have a 9mm pistol can that you want to use on both a pistol and an ar9. The pistol uses a booster but the rifle does not. The pistol barrel is threaded 1/2-28 and the ar9 is threaded 1/2-36.

To use this can on both hosts legally you would need to use an adapter. The thread protector would hold the internals of the can in place, and a booster would thread directly into it and onto the pistol's threaded barrel. For the rifle you would use an adapter that either directly threads onto the barrel of the ar9, or onto the QD of a brake or flash hider. The adapter would than thread into the thread protector that is keeping the internals secured into the can.

That would work on a D cell tube for that application.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes. You can secure the baffle stack buy using a snap ring, set screws, or anything that holds it in place when the end caps are not connected.

Why is this?

There are commercial cans that have a baffle stack that comes out when you remove the end cap.

One of the .22 cans I looked at, and the Freedom Arms .45 can I am considering both do this.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Why is this?

There are commercial cans that have a baffle stack that comes out when you remove the end cap.

One of the .22 cans I looked at, and the Freedom Arms .45 can I am considering both do this.

Rules are different for us. Extra parts are a violation of law, it's best to be on the safe side.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No extra parts. Unless you are taking about having multiple end caps.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    So I read the first page and didn't go past that...but how are y'all doing pistons for pistol cal cans on pistol hosts with a tilting barrel? Considering this option instead of buying a $600-800 can.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    So I read the first page and didn't go past that...but how are y'all doing pistons for pistol cal cans on pistol hosts with a tilting barrel? Considering this option instead of buying a $600-800 can.

You use a booster/Nielsen device. Some commercial cans use them as well, some have them built in.

The gem tech, Liberty, and Thompson all screw directly into the SDTA B tube or use and adapter for a D tube.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You use a booster/Nielsen device. Some commercial cans use them as well, some have them built in.

The gem tech, Liberty, and Thompson all screw directly into the SDTA B tube or use and adapter for a D tube.

Right...I have an Osprey and some pistons I'd like to re-use. Is that an option?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any part of a suppressor, end cap, thread protector, baffles, etc...

If it holds the internal parts together, you can't have an extra.

Then why do you need to hold the baffles in when the end cap is off?

How about the commercial ones that have different end caps for different calibers?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Then why do you need to hold the baffles in when the end cap is off?

How about the commercial ones that have different end caps for different calibers?

Lol, I don't make the rules I just follow them.

If you have an extra part (end cap) then you are violating the law.

Most commercial cans that have that option do not hold the baffles in place with the end cap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The ones I have seen do. You remove the end cap, tilt and the baffles fall out.

But there is one commercial can that has different ends for different calibers. But it may not actually be the end cap, but a piece that just changes the size of the hole.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    getting ready to do my form 1's. 9mm can for ar, and 45 can for pistol and 458socom subsonic only.

How can I figure out how beefy the 45 can should be?

Also- I am using the 45 on a sig 220, I know they need an odd piston/neilson device. How do I chose one of those for a form 1 build?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    getting ready to do my form 1's. 9mm can for ar, and 45 can for pistol and 458socom subsonic only.

Also- I am using the 45 on a sig 220, I know they need an odd piston/neilson device. How do I chose one of those for a form 1 build?

I would go with a D cell for 45, but some people have used a B.

You need to get a gem tech, Liberty, or Thompson booster. All of these have the same threads that will work with the SDTA tubes and adapters.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River

You may get away using one Gemtech LID for your 45 and 9mm AR. You will need a extra piston and a PBT(Piston blocking tube) which replaces the spring converting the Gemtech LID to a fixed mount. The LID is threaded for a B-tube.

On the other hand if you use a D tube you can attach a D- size Gemtech Lid /Liberty Suppressor Recoil Booster Rear Thread Protector (SDTA) to hold the suppressor innards in place and legally switch LIDs with fixed mounts.

Liberty suppressors only sells fixed mounts and LIDs. I don't think they have a PBT. Gemtech has LIDs, fixed mounts and PBTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom