• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pythons are indeed nice guns. But in recent years they have become stupid expensive , and have now become rare postage stamps that resemble a gun , rather than somthing to be actually used like a gun.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Oh stop.

It's a "canned good" with no expiration date.

MikeSP will buy it from our survivor's yard sale and all peoples very happy.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Just curious: do you regard it as worth its purchase price, or do you think a .22LR market dump will make all bricks worth only a fraction of cost forever more?

In the "old days" just a couple hundred bucks got you a HUGE lifelong cache. So yes, even the value rockets up to 10x cost it still represents only one month's mortgage payment.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So you're hoarding, eh? :D

You have to do an apples-for-apples comparison in terms of real cost and lost investment opportunity. Pick a year, figure out today's equivalent money, and see what that money buys you now. For that matter, any profit you have today (paper or realized) should be compared to the profit you would have made in alternative low-risk investments back then, in order to see how well or poorly you fared in comparison. For example, if the 22LR stash went up 10x in value, it still might stink as an investment if the same money in laddered treasury bonds went up 20x in value during the same time period.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nah , a Python doesn't to become a Beanie Baby or a Dutch Tulip. It is still a high quality premium revolver. Back when they were in regular production , they sold for about 20% over a S&W M27 . Given the time since being out of regular production , you would rationally expect them to sell maybe 50% over a M27 .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wanted one for years but just can bring myself to pay this kind of cash. Back in 2013 I bought myself a Colt Peacekeeper or poor mans Python for $550

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I never really like Colt revolvers. I'm spending money with the family...Smith & Wesson.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not knocking the Peacekeeper , but that would be the Poorman's Mark V . A fine enough gun/ family of guns in their own right , but does not share the Python linage.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'm not knocking the Peacekeeper , but that would be the Poorman's Mark V . A fine enough gun/ family of guns in their own right , but does not share the Python linage.

You missed my point. I get that Pythons were hand fitted revolvers vs mass market, I get that they share basic appearance and a vent rib but not the trigger system. Yada yada

How about the Mark V is the poor mans Python and the Peacekeeper is a poor poor mans version.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think the engraving job is hideous. Give me an as new, non-customized Python any day. But this is one ain't for me.

Feb 28, 2013
    10 grand for that?!?:wtf:

Pffft...:rolleyes:

Hell, it ain't even stainless.

Besides, this is the poor mans' Python. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      122.4 KB · Views: 194

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics