• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ohhhhh! This Gas Piston will make your AR AWESOME! :tdown::sad20:

Problem is, some people consider JUNK as top shelf. I consider NiB junk because my experience tells me its junk.

Some people consider Nitrided barrels an improvement. I say most of them are inferior because they are treated after the BBL Extension is installed.

Some people consider 1 piece Gas Rings an improvement. I know they are junk.

Some people think certain Rail Systems are improvement. I think many are far from it.

Some people say that drop in triggers (pack triggers) are an improvement. My experience tells me that Factory FCG's, Geissele, and LaRue are the ones that work the most consistently and safely.

Agreed on all counts. I'm a firm believer in not trying to fix what's not broken. Just improvements where prudent for better functionality, reliability, or ergonomics. No changes just for the halibut.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agreed on all counts. I'm a firm believer in not trying to fix what's not broken. Just improvements where prudent for better functionality, reliability, or ergonomics. No changes just for the halibut.

:thumbsup:Ditto

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    That's the problem. I could provide receipts, but I can't prove I put a Young's National Match BCG versus some generic BCG in that particular upper.

Sure you can! My Young BCG has the factory markings on it, as does the White Oak Armory barrel, Geissele trigger, ALG hand guard, Vltor buffer tube, Magpul stock, etc. Nothing half-assed about a quality Franken AR, although you need to be a tour guide to take the prospective buyer through the build, and some just won't understand what they're looking at.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When I build an AR, I spend the money on quality parts, but I generally pick them up when they are on sale to save a few bucks. When I built my precision rifle, I spared no expense on it. Doc, Brad, The Instigator, and Chad saw it one day. Outrider, Brad, and psycosteve have shot it. Is it a Franken AR? Sure it is, but it is made the way I wanted it, with the parts I wanted, and it will do everything that I ask of it and more.

When I built my 300BLK, I took my time in selecting the parts I wanted for it. I jumped on the 2014 Black Friday AAC barrel for 129 w/free shipping, because it was an AAC barrel! I picked up a Strike Industries Mega Fins G2 fore end (keymod), YHM Phantom, Wilson Combat BCG (thanks Brad!!!!), AXTS Raptor charging handle, Spikes T1 buffer (the powder makes very little noise as you are moving though the terrain), Magpul CTR, and a Geisselle G2S that has a total pull weight of 4#. It was early/mid 2015 when I fired it the first time. It has been a flawless performer since day one. My dad almost laid a live chicken when he hefted it and found out how light I built my deer rifle. But the key to my 300BLK was taking my time and using quality parts.

I built a beater AR for the spousal unit. It is her first AR and I know she needed something to learn on, so I didn't go all out building her a Ferrari. I built her a Honda Civic and it works for her. She is happy with it and does like to shoot it, except for when she gets hot brass on exposed skin (still working with her on that one), but it is something for her to practice with. She knows that if she keeps practicing and gets better, that I will build her a really good rifle, that is capable of doing what my rifles can do, but what she doesn't realize is that if she practices a lot, her rifle can do what my rifles can do. I'm not slighting her by doing this, but you don't build a super good AR for somebody if they haven't shot all that much before. You give them something that will last, but at the same time, excess wear over time doesn't matter. While the upper was a budget upper, I do have plans to make changes to the upper after she becomes more proficient with her rifle and she knows my plans.

After taking Chad's classes, I would not have a problem buying a home built AR, if I could do a proper inspection of the rifle and a test fire. I just need a bore scope now...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I remember your wife's build, of course. There were a number of decent parts , but the care in the assembly with a master smith (or higher level, if there is such categorization) at your side elevated the build beyond Franken rifle to a custom build. I know the one that I made for my wife in parallel is an AR that I have full faith and confidence to pick up in any situation. Runs like a Swiss watch, accurate and utterly reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I remember your wife's build, of course. There were a number of decent parts , but the care in the assembly with a master smith (or higher level, if there is such categorization) at your side elevated the build beyond Franken rifle to a custom build. I know the one that I made for my wife in parallel is an AR that I have full faith and confidence to pick up in any situation. Runs like a Swiss watch, accurate and utterly reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The wifey wasn't happy that I test fired her rifle, without her being there to shoot it, but I wanted to run it ragged over 100+ rounds or so on private property, that is OOS. Needless to say, a 1# charge of Tannerite was hit on the 3rd shot and the steel cans were hit on successive shots. I have full faith and confidence in that rifle for her, and also for me, should either one of us ever have to pick it up for anything other than range use.

The wifey is still saying thank you every time she sees her rifle, for your kindness and generosity.

Remind me tomorrow about the QD swivel. It has been sitting on my desk for when we link up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom