• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am looking for advice from the collective wisdom on MDS...

I recently took the JJ Racaza class in Northern VA and decided I want to start shooting USPSA and possibly occasional IDPA matches.
    I was in your shoes about eight months ago. Going out and buying a $2000 gun without having significant experience with the sport is the wrong move. You are also trying to do stuff with a 2011 you can't really do.

2011s are USPSA Limited/Open guns. You cannot use them in Production or Carry Optics. Many of them are not IDPA legal, especially the ones you'd want to use in USPSA Open/Limited. I would strongly suggest you don't want to be competing in Open/Limited right away if you are serious about competing (especially since it's not clear whether you want to be shooting .40S&W or 9mm Major).

The X5 you already have is a very respectable choice for Production or Carry Optics (with the right slide/cut). I'd strongly suggest just buying a belt, holster, and some mag pouches, and getting to some matches. If, in a year, you still want to step up your game, I guarantee you will have a much better idea of what you actually need.

Put it this way: I started off shooting Production and IDPA with a G17, moved up to a G34 slide for the longer sight radius, and I still don't see the point in buying a new gun. The problem isn't how I'm running my gun, it's how I'm running me. You will understand that after a few matches, I promise. Buying a new gun would just be me trying to solve my software problems with hardware, and that's not going to work. The kind of things I think about these days are whether I need a drop offset holster so I can shave a tenth off my draw.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    eh, don't be a stick in the mud!! 2011's are a ton of fun to shoot and can be used in a lot of games. a 2011 in .40 is perfect for uspsa. and if you reload or buy 40 minor you can use it in 2 & 3 gun, steel challenge, outlaw matches with no recoil disadvantage vs 9mm. and if you get a 2011 in 9mm (9x19) you'll have a scoring disadvantage in uspsa but an excellent gun for everything else. and if you get a bushing barrelled 2011, most are idpa legal but def check (my now-discontinued 9mm Eagle is).

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Thank you. Most of its flavor comes from the Dexter themed grip and the Titanium Nitrade coating on the barrel.

Love the look, but they wanted more than Bravos wanted for his tuned STI Edge.

I placed the order today. It turns out that this will be the last Tuned Edge they will be doing. STI discontinued the Edge model.

I will post pics when it arrives.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    eh, don't be a stick in the mud!! 2011's are a ton of fun to shoot and can be used in a lot of games. a 2011 in .40 is perfect for uspsa. and if you reload or buy 40 minor you can use it in 2 & 3 gun, steel challenge, outlaw matches with no recoil disadvantage vs 9mm. and if you get a 2011 in 9mm (9x19) you'll have a scoring disadvantage in uspsa but an excellent gun for everything else. and if you get a bushing barrelled 2011, most are idpa legal but def check (my now-discontinued 9mm Eagle is).

Agreed. If you have the money and wont be missing any mortgage payments because of it, then why not treat yourself to something nice that you can be proud of and have fun with.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I was in your shoes about eight months ago. Going out and buying a $2000 gun without having significant experience with the sport is the wrong move. You are also trying to do stuff with a 2011 you can't really do.

2011s are USPSA Limited/Open guns. You cannot use them in Production or Carry Optics. Many of them are not IDPA legal, especially the ones you'd want to use in USPSA Open/Limited. I would strongly suggest you don't want to be competing in Open/Limited right away if you are serious about competing (especially since it's not clear whether you want to be shooting .40S&W or 9mm Major).

The X5 you already have is a very respectable choice for Production or Carry Optics (with the right slide/cut). I'd strongly suggest just buying a belt, holster, and some mag pouches, and getting to some matches. If, in a year, you still want to step up your game, I guarantee you will have a much better idea of what you actually need.

Put it this way: I started off shooting Production and IDPA with a G17, moved up to a G34 slide for the longer sight radius, and I still don't see the point in buying a new gun. The problem isn't how I'm running my gun, it's how I'm running me. You will understand that after a few matches, I promise. Buying a new gun would just be me trying to solve my software problems with hardware, and that's not going to work. The kind of things I think about these days are whether I need a drop offset holster so I can shave a tenth off my draw.

Thank you for the good advice and I really appreciate it.

I plan on using the X5 to start competing with and shooting some IDPA. I liked the feel and look on the 2011 in general and have wanted to add something like it to my collection for a long time with or without competing. When I got to handle a few and watch them at the class, I decided to get one. It may never be used in competition, but it will be a really fun gun to play with. Hence, the search. If I can run it well in limited USPSA the better.

Like many MDS guys, I am a gun Junkie and addicted to these toys. I was able to sell a couple of safe queens to fund it, so not feeling too guilty about the money.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Love the look, but they wanted more than Bravos wanted for his tuned STI Edge.

I placed the order today. It turns out that this will be the last Tuned Edge they will be doing. STI discontinued the Edge model.

I will post pics when it arrives.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Like I said, Budget Friendly is a relative term. Relative to Infiniti, Atlas, etc. You are definitely going to spend more on a custom build and then you have to wait 6+ months to get it.

Sounds like you made a good choice and found a good deal on a great gun. Congratulations and enjoy. Now you get to find out what it is like to spend $100 on a magazine.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    It may never be used in competition

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I actually bought my STI Steel Master (shorter, minor power factor 9mm open gun) before i got into competitive shooting, but it's WAYYYYYYYYYY more fun using it in matches vs punching paper and cans at a static range.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Now you get to find out what it is like to spend $100 on a magazine.

dawson has 140mm factory sti magazines for $50 each now (still 2x glock mags...), and free freight. you should get one or two of these with the gun but buy more! i live in va (outside leesburg) and happy to help you out in any legal way. if those mags don't work for any reason, or you want to increase capacity (base pads etc) then, yeah, it starts getting expensive.

congrats! dawson supertuned my eagle and it's had maybe a handful of malfs in the handful of years i've had it, almost zero.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    dawson has 140mm factory sti magazines for $50 each now (still 2x glock mags...), and free freight. you should get one or two of these with the gun but buy more! i live in va (outside leesburg) and happy to help you out in any legal way. if those mags don't work for any reason, or you want to increase capacity (base pads etc) then, yeah, it starts getting expensive.

congrats! dawson supertuned my eagle and it's had maybe a handful of malfs in the handful of years i've had it, almost zero.

Thanks,
    I have 2 brothers in Northern Va., they help me feed my habit!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    When in the world did this happen? STI Gen 2 140 mm magazines are $50 everywhere, including on STIs website. I paid $85 each less than 1 year ago.

Last edited:

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    My Brazos tuned Edge 40 S&W arrived and I took it to TMGN today. Picture is at 10 yards. I was in a hurry and spent less than 45 minutes on the range. When I was done, the gun was too hot to hold.

Top left is 50 rounds of AE 180 gr factory loads, bottom left is 50 rounds of Fiocchi 165 gr, and top right is 90 rounds of my first reloads for it (185 gr Coated Precision Bullet over 7.1 gr Power Pistol)
    Looks like the Edge likes the heavier bullets. I think I am loading a little hot and will back down 10% on my load. I really didn't feel any recoil. The fliers on the right are due to my trying to stage the 2.5 lb trigger between shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4583.jpg
      IMG_4583.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads