• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayneb

Dec 31, 2018
    Ellicott City, MD
    I got my range badge at AGC just a couple of months ago after several visits as a guest. Before that I had been content to take my old H&R 22LR/Magnum revolver to On Target once or twice a year. 30 years ago I had started shooting with friends from work at a deserted lot near the railroad tracks behind the Route 100 Industrial Park (this would probably be frowned upon these days).

My experiences at the AGC have all been positive. Everyone I have dealt with, members & ROs, have been professional & friendly. The ROs are serious about safety, but not dicks about it. I have a few more pistols now & have only used the pistol range so far. Normally I go early on weekends and had no problem in getting a lane. I am fortunate to live only 5 miles away. Which of the clubs you join in order to qualify for a range badge will depend on what you want. I was looking for a club with a low price & minimal requirements so I joined the Catonsville Scouters. I have observed a few organized shoots by other clubs that looked well run & fun. It depends what you want to commit to.

Everyone has to decide whether what the range offers is worth the cost & time to them.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have been a member several years. If its dry i am often there twice a week, usually soon after opening when maybe 10 people show up. Being semi retired has its benefits. Most folks mind their own business. RSOs do their jobs, thankfully. there is one indoor range in Frederick whose name I won't mention that tends to ignore some really unsafe shooting practices more often than not, BS like that is not tolerated at the AGC.

I belong to the Baltimore Rifle Club, which is pretty much hands off. Personally i am never there on weekends but last fall I happened to be there on a Saturday and Arlington rifle club was having a steel shoot. I sort of recognized one guy and said hello and the next thing you know I'm shooting steel for 2 hours. It was a lot of fun and I may join a second club just so I can attend and have fun at these events.

With the AGC you get what you put into it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    30 years ago I had started shooting with friends from work at a deserted lot near the railroad tracks behind the Route 100 Industrial Park (this would probably be frowned upon these days).

If you are talking about more like 40 years (70s), we might know each other. :D

For us, it got shut down around 79, as some bone heads are shooting magnum rifles at 6AM on a Sunday.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I joined it once several years ago and I only stayed in for one year. When you Frequent gun stores and shooting ranges, you expect the ******* element. But dang, I only ended up going twice to the range and both times shooters there and range guys were big assholes. I’ve been going to shooting Ranges for the last 30 years and I have never seen people like this. Very condescending, and very rude. And I did nothing wrong. They were just looking to find problems. Checking over my things, finger effing my firearms, etc.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I've been a member since 2016. I think there was a changing of the guard just beginning and accelerating over the last year and half or so (I maybe have my dates wrong.) Anyway, I joined through Garrison because they made it easy. I understand Baltimore is similar. I just wanted to get on the range and start shooting. I have had zero issues. RO's have been helpful every time. In my early visits, one RO was extremely helpful in getting my target set up for hitting the berm correctly. I find that if you are safe and respectful it goes along way at any range.

Since I joined in 2016, steel , holster draw and action shooting have been added. They are making things happen. I'm 27 minutes away and get there as much as possible. For those with a bad experience, I'd suggest another go.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Wayneb, The area around the Rt. 100 industrial park is under development now and has been for a few years. Sadly, most of the properties I used to be able to shoot on in my younger days have been developed too.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I joined it once several years ago and I only stayed in for one year. When you Frequent gun stores and shooting ranges, you expect the ******* element. But dang, I only ended up going twice to the range and both times shooters there and range guys were big assholes. I’ve been going to shooting Ranges for the last 30 years and I have never seen people like this. Very condescending, and very rude. And I did nothing wrong. They were just looking to find problems. Checking over my things, finger effing my firearms, etc.

I know we are in the minority but before I had the options I have now, I was a member at AGC and I have to agree with the above as it pertains to AGC staff and board.

Too bad because it's a great location and facility.

The club I belonged to (BRC) was great however and run by good folks.

hiattda

Aug 30, 2018
    Definitely worth it. Some clubs don’t do anything and others have events you can attend if you wish. I belong to the Arlington Rifle & Postol Club. If you are into 3 gun stuff I would look into that club. AGC also has their own sanctioned 3 gun events through the AGC Action Shooting. The staff are great and it’s very well ran.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    If you will use it then I would say its worth the price. I used to belong up there to one of the clubs and I loved it. I live just down the road in Ellicott City. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and I used to go up there and shoot all the time. However, with kids and family commitments we let our membership lapse because our time and attention is now diverted elsewhere, but one day we hope to maybe join again. If you are going to use it, then YES its worth it. Also there are some good places for food and drink afterwards near by.

AGC is a good range, by any measure. They put a premium on range safety, which for the most part, is a very good thing.
    There are some things you may be used to doing at other ranges (and feel that the practice is safe) that will not be tolerated. Listen carefully on walkthrough. Observe the range in operation and note carefully anything the RSO finds out of bounds for anyone on or behind the firing line. Pay close attention to where the muzzle is in relation to the bench and the rest of the shooting stall. The RSO will act more akin to a drill sergeant than offering a helping hand. By all means, the answer to the RSO is "Yes sir!" or "Yes Ma'am". The time for additional guidance is not "in the box", but after all is put away, preferably in the vehicle, and preferably not from a RSO on duty. They're quite busy.

There are many good habits to be learned there. Some rules/practices you may feel are over the top. It is not up to you to judge. AGC has a very good safety record for a reason, and that is a major reason it is still open.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015

I am not sure when you were a member, but I think I know what you might be talking about. Yes there was someone like that up there a long time ago, but I don't think they are around any longer. Last couple of times I went up there for hunter qualification shoots, Nov 2017, they RSO were younger and professional unlike the old guard from before.

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I have been a member for several years although I don't use it as much as I would like. I have always found the ROs to be professional and courteous.

Shooter70

Jul 17, 2018
    Definitely worth it

I joined Monumental, and have come to enjoy some of their events. Also made more friends. AGC is building 3 new shooting areas, I think two for 3-gun and one for plinking. There are 3 trap fields, plus a wobble trap field. Always at least one RSO on duty.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I joined Monumental, and have come to enjoy some of their events. Also made more friends. AGC is building 3 new shooting areas, I think two for 3-gun and one for plinking. There are 3 trap fields, plus a wobble trap field. Always at least one RSO on duty.
    Glad to hear you enjoy Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club! I may be a bit biased!

We have been awarded the NRA DiBiasio Outstanding Club of the Year twice (2010 and 2016). We are also the first AGC club to awarded NRA Gold Club status. Like Walter Brennan was fond of saying. "No brag, just fact!"

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have been a member for several years although I don't use it as much as I would like. I have always found the ROs to be professional and courteous.

Ditto. Never had a problem with an RSO at the AGC.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I would go as far to say the RSOs at AGC have been downright pleasant, and if I ask a question they are very generous with their knowledge. If the range isn't busy I have gotten several mini-shooting lessons from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom