• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butchb

Mar 6, 2019
    Cumberland, Md 21502
    Hello, Bought a handgun on 4/5/19 in Maryland. Waited 7 days to pickup handgun on 4/12/19. My question is when does the 30 days before next purchase start 4/5 or4/12? I am already shopping!! Thanks, Butch

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    It is 30 days from the day of approval which in your case would be the 12th. So May 12/13. You can do 2 handguns at the same time but there's a 60-day wait between purchases. If you want to purchase more frequently or take advantage of sales that you stumble across without worrying about when you made your last purchase you should send in the paperwork to become a designated collector which will allow you to buy as many as frequently as you want. The 7-day wait still applies.

md designated collector info

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    It is 30 days from the day of approval which in your case would be the 12th. So May 12/13. You can do 2 handguns at the same time but there's a 60-day wait between purchases. If you want to purchase more frequently or take advantage of sales that you stumble across without worrying about when you made your last purchase you should send in the paperwork to become a designated collector which will allow you to buy as many as frequently as you want. The 7-day wait still applies.

md designated collector info

30 days from pick up not approval. And yes get your designated collectors

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I couldn’t imagine not getting a collectors, I think the hardest part if I recall was getting it notarized. I usually let a few accumulate at a time at my dealer and then pay 1 MSP fee and one dealer transfer fee.

rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    I couldn’t imagine not getting a collectors, I think the hardest part if I recall was getting it notarized. I usually let a few accumulate at a time at my dealer and then pay 1 MSP fee and one dealer transfer fee.

Just put in that paperwork myself, will update with what turn around time looks like.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You can initiate you next purchase 23 days after your last pickup date. MSP will not reject it and puckup can be as early as 30 days after the last pickup. With the advent of the new online 77R and its letting you know when a firearm may be released, I can't see why you couldn't initiate a new purchase sooner since MSP spells out a transfer date in the response to the FFL. But I also don't know first hand if MSP will let that fly.. I do know they won't reject an application 23 days after the last pickup.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Collector's letter is definitely worth getting. Your wallet may not agree, though.

dplay

Mar 27, 2016
    A.A. co. north

This is brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, 'cause I'm not brilliant.

May 8, 2018
    I got my collectors letter, but might have lost it. How would I get another copy. I have never been asked to produce said letter but I know that one day I will. Any thoughts.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    You shouldn't need it as the "collector" field self populates on the electronic application once they've mailed out the letter.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you want another copy, call MSP Licensing, ask for firearms registration section, request another be sent out. Mine got damaged when a pipe sprung a leak in proximity to my file cabinet. I had a fresh new copy in a few days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I got my collectors letter, but might have lost it. How would I get another copy. I have never been asked to produce said letter but I know that one day I will. Any thoughts.

There is no need to produce it. You check the box on the electronic 77r, and you are good to go.

MSP knows whether or not a letter has been issued to you.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There is no need to produce it. You check the box on the electronic 77r, and you are good to go.

MSP knows whether or not a letter has been issued to you.

And while you are absolutely correct, some dealers are reportedly asking to see it and I had a State Trooper in Glen Burnie tell me it was needed. In the case of the Trooper , I convinced him to process the 77R and let Licensing sort it out. It probably didn't hurt that the trooper in question has seen me there a fair number of times. Not sure why he asked ti see the letter that time. Never did it before.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If a dealer wants to see my letter, I will go to another dealer.

Simple.

If an MSP trooper did so, I would ask them to call the Licensing Bureau and let them tell him it is not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom