Sun’s out, guns out.

Attachments

• 07592B2B-81BB-4A36-ABA6-552739C99D41.jpg
      07592B2B-81BB-4A36-ABA6-552739C99D41.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 340

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    @ 63 right now which is one fewer than last year at this time.
    Baltimore which has a comparable population is @ 120. :eek:

Baltimore and DC, two jurisdictions that have led the nation in releasing criminals the past five years, and which have, as a direct result, led the nation in increased homicide.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But in perspective , in '91 was 481 , with similar numbers in that era aka the Crack Wars . Usta be the Baltimore numbers were half-ish of DC's .

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Being poor doesn't make a person violent. :lol:

There's a reason why West Virginia has a lower homicide rate than PG county does despite the fact that West Virginia would kill to have the per-capita GDP that PG county does, it's just that everyone's terrified of calling attention to it.

Here's a hint: It's the same reason why DC has seen a consistent decline in annual homicides over the past 25 years, while Baltimore's homicide rate has stayed largely flat over the same time period.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Most violence is a result of poor economic areas. People don't go around doing crimes if they are employed and able to provide for themselves.

No go on that theory.

DC has plenty of employment opportunities for people that choose to provide for themselves. However some people choose the wrong decision path of crime.

Dropping out of high school, getting locked up on felony counts, joining a gang, and general hooliganism are personal decisions with very bad consequences.

DC also has a huge problem with poverty obesity. No one is stealing bread to survive.

Also as applied to this thread, no one commits murder simply because they are poor.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    This year the homicides are pretty well concentrated

As far as stats go we are currently below last year at this time minus 2019s explosive start

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Wholesale demographic replacement through gentrification will do that for you. It'll be interesting to see how much lower the rates go once the influx of Amazon workers flips even more neighborhoods.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wholesale demographic replacement through gentrification will do that for you. It'll be interesting to see how much lower the rates go once the influx of Amazon workers flips even more neighborhoods.

This ^^. The U Street corridor, NOMA, Capitol Hill, H Street, the Wharf and the area around Nats Park/Navy yard are all transforming at an incredible pace.

Twenty years ago Capitol Hill looked almost as bad as west Baltimore right up to the back of the Supreme Court. Now almost the whole area out to RFK you see women walking their dogs or pushing strollers.

Took the Missus down to the Wharf earlier this year on one of the first really nice spring Saturdays and never felt safer.

Right now I'd go to DC to spend an evening over B'More hands down.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

While gentrification may cause murders to decrease, it also causes crimes of opportunity to increase. Ten years ago you might get shot for being a rival drug dealer working 9th and U, now you’ll just get mugged with a snub-nosed revolver pointed at your face for walking around at night...

Somewhat of a non sequitur, but I don’t think Wrenn / shall-issue has or will have any deterrent effect on the criminal element in DC prone to crimes of opportunity. While thanks to the 2AF handgun laws in DC are substantially better than MD (long guns not so much, those scary looking “assault weapons”), the city council has largely succeeded in perpetuating the fallacy that as a law abiding citizen you can’t have a gun (or taser) in DC, which the criminal element picks up on.

This is largely (wholly) anecdotal, but I personally know at least a dozen firearms owners who moved to the city for one reason or another and left their guns behind as law abiding citizens under the belief that “guns are illegal in DC.” The fact that anyone would even believe such a thing is as a whole another conversation, and part of the challenge of our plight. But even after being informed of the reality of their rights, only one of that dozen has bothered bringing their firearms in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    20yrs ago the early adopter gentrificators aka "urban homsteaders " were indeed so much fresh meat for the surrounding hood rats . But within the last decade the ( reverse ) tipping point has been reached , and the old school ghetto displaced by yuppies and hipsters .

While not as far on the scale on either end , the upper 14th st corridor has also significantly changed .

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    The reason gentrification drops crime rates is because it replaces the people who are selling and peddling the illegal drugs with the people who are buying the illegal drugs.

I grew up in DC, been here all of my life except for military service. I know who brings the illegal drugs into the country, who sells the illegal drugs for them on the street and who buys the majority of the illegal drugs. I have a bunch of the people that bring the drugs into the country living right next door to me, 20+ in the house, cars packed in the back yard and all over the street at night, license plates from MD, VA and CA.

When I complain to the Black liberals downtown about their antics I get the same old "they're here to have a better life" or "they commit less crimes than persons here legally" or "well, the reason they're bringing drugs here is because Americans are buying them" spiels. Meanwhile their kids, in their drug and gang culture, are shooting up and stabbing up the city selling the drugs for them. When I complain to the Feds, ie DEA, INS, etc. I get 'crickets'.

The problem isn't jobs or poor neighborhoods. Most of the people selling and using the drugs have jobs. It's the lure of quick, fast and easy money and the leftist liberal political strategy that began in the Lyndon Johnson era.

uncfolife

Mar 3, 2017
    Fort Washington, MD
    I'm not speaking in absolutes. I truly believe you have bad people on this planet but a majority of us are born with good hearts and aim to do well in life. When you have people that are not financially stable you find areas of high violence, drugs, suicides, etc.

uncfolife

Mar 3, 2017
    Fort Washington, MD
    There's a reason why West Virginia has a lower homicide rate than PG county does despite the fact that West Virginia would kill to have the per-capita GDP that PG county does, it's just that everyone's terrified of calling attention to it.

Here's a hint: It's the same reason why DC has seen a consistent decline in annual homicides over the past 25 years, while Baltimore's homicide rate has stayed largely flat over the same time period.

So what is it? Are you one of the people terrified to say it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom