• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    My turn, 1 ) looking for members with first hand experience Vortex Viper HST 6x24x50 scope
    2) Cant, type scope ring Vortex or Burris
    I've already done the youtube thing etc. looking for someone not getting kickbacks for reviews. Not a rich man hear 800. bucks is a lot of beer :lol2: I kid
    3)Rifle 6.5 Creed RPR wanting 1000 yards Thanks in advance

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    My turn, 1 ) looking for members with first hand experience Vortex Viper HST 6x24x50 scope
    I've already done the youtube thing etc. looking for someone not getting kickbacks for reviews. Not a rich man hear 800. bucks is a lot of beer :lol2: I kid

Bump

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia

I've got a Gen 1 PST, not HST, so there may be some nuances between the two. It is heavy, but clear for my use. Haven't gotten to the 'picking out distortions' phase of glass clarity, but it is similar to my Leupold. It is solid, and decent for the price. I used the cantilevered SWFA SSALT mount. Appears to be holding up.

If I had the coin, would like to try out a Night Force model.

Q

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I've got a Gen 1 PST, not HST, so there may be some nuances between the two. It is heavy, but clear for my use. Haven't gotten to the 'picking out distortions' phase of glass clarity, but it is similar to my Leupold. It is solid, and decent for the price. I used the cantilevered SWFA SSALT mount. Appears to be holding up.

Q[/QUOTEthank you

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thank you on my lunch break scaned it but I read ot tonight

Article says that Burris XTR is pretty damn nice. That is what I was planning on putting on my RPR 6.5CM when it arrives AND the scope is available. Specifically, looking at going with this:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-iii/xtr-iii-5.5-30x56-mm

Problem is, the scope is not available yet. Guess that gives me some time to kick around which reticle I will get and for Burris to post what the SCR 2 Mil reticle will look like.

Edit to add: Going to buy 2 of the scopes so I can put one on the .338LM and one on the 6.5CM. Also going to go with the Burris rings:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

Been using Burris scopes and rings on my hunting rifles for a couple decades now. They have been great, and when one of the rubber seals on one of the Signature scopes adjustment knobs was a problem., Burris took the scope back and tuned it all up under warranty. The turnaround was quick on it. Cannot remember exactly how quick because it was a decade ago, but I know the entire experience with Burris was really good. Burris also happens to be owned by Beretta. The XTR line is Made in USA.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

To each their own...at a shoot last year, they raffled off a 50% nightforce coupon...if I had won, I would have bought the most expensive scope and sold it outright lol. I'd buy another vortex razor HD2 for "tactical" stuff or the "golden eagle" for target stuff.

I've been behind quite a few NF, and it is nice glass for sure....I just don't see the value in it, personally.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    To each their own...at a shoot last year, they raffled off a 50% nightforce coupon...if I had won, I would have bought the most expensive scope and sold it outright lol. I'd buy another vortex razor HD2 for "tactical" stuff or the "golden eagle" for target stuff.

I've been behind quite a few NF, and it is nice glass for sure....I just don't see the value in it, personally.

Thanks for the info. Would like to see what everyone is talking about regarding optical clarity and whether my eyesight can differentiate between budget clarity and high end clarity.

Q

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks for the info. Would like to see what everyone is talking about regarding optical clarity and whether my eyesight can differentiate between budget clarity and high end clarity.

Q

If you're near Frederick... you're welcome to look through any that I have. My guess is you will clearly be able to see a difference quickly

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you're near Frederick... you're welcome to look through any that I have. My guess is you will clearly be able to see a difference quickly

Thanks for the offer, we travel out to Gapland/ Rohrersville for the major holidays, so I may PM you. Anywhere out there to shoot for distance?

It would be interesting to get an MDS rifle shoot to compare optics and rifles.

Q

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks for the offer, we travel out to Gapland/ Rohrersville for the major holidays, so I may PM you. Anywhere out there to shoot for distance?

It would be interesting to get an MDS rifle shoot to compare optics and rifles.

Q

My local range is only 100 yards, sorry.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD

I have a Hst 6 24 50 scope on a Remington 700. I think it offers the best value for the money and I have been very happy with it. You do notice a bit of optical clarity and distortion issue at the maximum magnification but not bad at all

Attachments

• 399401F2-D34A-4F44-AA7C-D8EED40F2DB3.jpg
      399401F2-D34A-4F44-AA7C-D8EED40F2DB3.jpg
      140.4 KB · Views: 126

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I have a Hst 6 24 50 scope on a Remington 700. I think it offers the best value for the money and I have been very happy with it. You do notice a bit of optical clarity and distortion issue at the maximum magnification but not bad at all

very sweet that's what i want to hear .clarity is this all the time or just hot days ? what rings do you have they look like Vortex tall rings 2 piece ?

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    very sweet that's what i want to hear .clarity is this all the time or just hot days ? what rings do you have they look like Vortex tall rings 2 piece ?

All the time and it looks like a slight haze only noticeable near max magnification
    Yes it’s vortex precision matched rings 2 pieces
    Tall enough to clear the 50mil aperture

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom