• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    How did folks do with the two new targets? Looking forward to them for the August Steel Challenge.

Sent using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How did folks do with the two new targets? Looking forward to them for the August Steel Challenge.
    Double helix was a disaster for me because my shotgun was busy choking on my ammo. Didn't think it was terribly bad otherwise. I watched a poor SOB in my squad shooting 2 gun trying to clear it with his pistol, and it didn't look fun.

Polish plate rack was... different. I cleared it, but there's clearly some strategy to it I need to master.

Funny enough, I managed to knock that regular spinner around in two shots.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just sayin...

Thank you for pointing out that I missed this. I hope you can appreciate that I deal with literally 100's (no exaggeration) of details each match.

-buying additional easy ups to keep shooters cool
    -driving to PA to pick up a trailer full of new props
    -testing said props after spending hours setting up the stages the day prior to the match
    -finding shotguns for shooters without one to borrow
    -buying water/ice, making a special trip to the range to pick up the cooler
    -dealing with registrations/withdrawals,
    -answering email and telephone questions throughout EVERY day,
    -ordering, stocking, and tracking steel sales (funds benefit Action Shooting)
    -managing the holster certification process (funds benefit Action Shooting)
    -communicating with AGC officials to make sure everyone is comfortable with what we are doing
    -training new ROs and making sure we are fully staffed for each shoot
    -building shelves in the sheds and organizing
    -setting up the shoots in Practiscore and on the tablets
    -Creating sign in sheets (not as easy as one might expect)
    -acting as a cashier on match day
    -borrowing and running 300 feet of hose in an attempt to help keep others cool
    -Reviewing stage designs to ensure they are safe, challenging and fair
    -conducting the practical portion of the holster certification
    -safety briefing prep

This was just this week and I am sure I left a list of just as many things off of this one.

All of that said, this was an oversight on my part. Practiscore allows me to clone previous matches and this was not something that I reviewed. My bad.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Am I the only one who over did it for the heat...just a little bit?:tongue13:

Oddly enough, yesterday was a breeze compared to the Steel Challenge last weekend. We are gradually bringing on new ROs and have already started putting them into the rotation. We had two new ones yesterday that both did a great job. This will allow the core group to get a break from time to time. Unfortunately, I have to certify the ROs which can be a time consuming process. We will get there.

I am growing concerned about the lack of reasonably priced Ammo and how it may start to affect attendance at our three gun events. I will be talking to the stage designers and see what they think about reducing the round counts a bit. Not much we can do about Steel Challenge other than reduce it from 6 to 5 stages. We struggle with doing that when we have 10-15 people on the waiting list.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Thank you for pointing out that I missed this. I hope you can appreciate that I deal with literally 100's (no exaggeration) of details each match.

-buying additional easy ups to keep shooters cool
    -driving to PA to pick up a trailer full of new props
    -testing said props after spending hours setting up the stages the day prior to the match
    -finding shotguns for shooters without one to borrow
    -buying water/ice, making a special trip to the range to pick up the cooler
    -dealing with registrations/withdrawals,
    -answering email and telephone questions throughout EVERY day,
    -ordering, stocking, and tracking steel sales (funds benefit Action Shooting)
    -managing the holster certification process (funds benefit Action Shooting)
    -communicating with AGC officials to make sure everyone is comfortable with what we are doing
    -training new ROs and making sure we are fully staffed for each shoot
    -building shelves in the sheds and organizing
    -setting up the shoots in Practiscore and on the tablets
    -Creating sign in sheets (not as easy as one might expect)
    -acting as a cashier on match day
    -borrowing and running 300 feet of hose in an attempt to help keep others cool
    -Reviewing stage designs to ensure they are safe, challenging and fair
    -conducting the practical portion of the holster certification
    -safety briefing prep

This was just this week and I am sure I left a list of just as many things off of this one.

All of that said, this was an oversight on my part. Practiscore allows me to clone previous matches and this was not something that I reviewed. My bad.

As I left yesterday, I totally forgot about the hose! Hopefully we got that torn down and back to the owners. As I was setting it up, I tried to remember which piece went to which person... but never passed that back to anyone. Another lesson learned, also don't drive the spikes too deep....

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    As I left yesterday, I totally forgot about the hose! Hopefully we got that torn down and back to the owners. As I was setting it up, I tried to remember which piece went to which person... but never passed that back to anyone. Another lesson learned, also don't drive the spikes too deep....

No problem. I got the hose picked up. There was a section left behind, but I think I know whose it is.

Thanks for your help. You did fantastic as an RO yesterday

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    No problem. I got the hose picked up. There was a section left behind, but I think I know whose it is.

Mike, I am happy to buy a new 100ft hose for the Action Shooting effort. I will pick one up this week.

Sent using Tapatalk

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Mike, I am happy to buy a new 100ft hose for the Action Shooting effort. I will pick one up this week.

Sent using Tapatalk

I really appreciate it, however hold off on that. While the idea of running hoses down to the fields for shooters to take a quick cooling shower was a good one, it really was not practical as you had to run through 300 feet of hot water before anything refreshing came out. I think we will just advise shooter where the hose is and let them walk up there is they want to get wet.

Thanks again.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

I wasn't upset or critiquing, I was just showing you where the problem was. I appreciate everything you guys do.

I don't have easy answers for the ammo shortage. I will say that 223 rifle seems to be the real killer; 9mm and shotgun shells seem to be more available, at least for now.

Possible ideas I've been thinking about:
    1. Allow 2x4 divisions like in UML rules. Shooters in that division a pistol, shotgun, PCC, and a rifle, and choose two for every stage. This allows people to make the most of what ammo they do have. However, the downside is that shooters do need to be held accountable for shooting ALL the targets, including the shotgun targets, which may slow things down. Similarly, electing to go shotgun+rifle might require the stage designer thought about "pistol steel" distances, and poppers will need a falling steel backup target for non-shotgun shooters. It may also require some more thought about dump box positioning (and possibly letting shooters run with slung guns).
    2. Orient more of the stages around two guns to reduce round count.
    3. Use smaller steel and "spinnies" more judiciously. Misses consume ammo, and while a lot of those are on the shooter, harder targets do result in more of them, especially for newer shooters.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville

Thanks, was a challenge at times, but really glad it ran smoothly.

I wasn't upset or critiquing, I was just showing you where the problem was. I appreciate everything you guys do.

I don't have easy answers for the ammo shortage. I will say that 223 rifle seems to be the real killer; 9mm and shotgun shells seem to be more available, at least for now.

Possible ideas I've been thinking about:
    1. Allow 2x4 divisions like in UML rules. Shooters in that division a pistol, shotgun, PCC, and a rifle, and choose two for every stage. This allows people to make the most of what ammo they do have. However, the downside is that shooters do need to be held accountable for shooting ALL the targets, including the shotgun targets, which may slow things down. Similarly, electing to go shotgun+rifle might require the stage designer thought about "pistol steel" distances, and poppers will need a falling steel backup target for non-shotgun shooters. It may also require some more thought about dump box positioning (and possibly letting shooters run with slung guns).
    2. Orient more of the stages around two guns to reduce round count.
    3. Use smaller steel and "spinnies" more judiciously. Misses consume ammo, and while a lot of those are on the shooter, harder targets do result in more of them, especially for newer shooters.

I'm solving the ammo crisis by switching things up a bit. I'm probably joining the AK division and will shoot the next one with 7.62x39. My time will fall but I still get the joy of getting out and shooting. If 223 prices fall back down before August (yeah right) then I'll recant and stick with my AR.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm solving the ammo crisis by switching things up a bit. I'm probably joining the AK division and will shoot the next one with 7.62x39. My time will fall but I still get the joy of getting out and shooting. If 223 prices fall back down before August (yeah right) then I'll recant and stick with my AR.

Yes join the dark side. My times might've slowed some but damn is it fun to shoot these stages with an ak

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Oddly enough, yesterday was a breeze compared to the Steel Challenge last weekend. We are gradually bringing on new ROs and have already started putting them into the rotation. We had two new ones yesterday that both did a great job. This will allow the core group to get a break from time to time. Unfortunately, I have to certify the ROs which can be a time consuming process. We will get there.

I am growing concerned about the lack of reasonably priced Ammo and how it may start to affect attendance at our three gun events. I will be talking to the stage designers and see what they think about reducing the round counts a bit. Not much we can do about Steel Challenge other than reduce it from 6 to 5 stages. We struggle with doing that when we have 10-15 people on the waiting list.

As the last shooter of the last stage, I had to let it all hang out (it would be wrong not to, right?)...and that's what pushed me over the edge:o I was definitely wiped out the rest of the day...and not exactly leaping out of bed this morning either :innocent0

In an ideal world, I'd love to see 3 RO's per squad that would rotate duties so one was free to load mags, load shotgun, take water, catch breath, etc. while the other two were keeping everything rolling along. I know that's asking a lot.

Steel challenge isn't so bad, but 3-gun has more equipment logistics (especially when it's hot and you're trying to reload yourself on water). I found it tricky to go from running the timer right to grabbing my gear and shooting next. My Co-RO...well, of course he is younger and does everything fast...

How about this (once we have the staff #'s to do it): 2 official RO's on squad duty and one trained/certified RO who is "light duty" and just runs the timer when the 2 RO's shoot? Just a thought.

As to the ammo situation...ugh! That sucks. Even though I have a fair supply now (certainly an "arsenal" or "cache" by media standards :rolleyes:) I know I'm going to try to do some rationing to make it last. If Katie's schedule let's her get back into shooting, it's really going to shrink my "cache." I would expect some more of the dreaded rimfire showing up in steel challenge (I stocked up on a LOT of that after the last drought :innocent0). I haven't shopped for shotgun ammo lately...if birdshot is still seemingly available, maybe 3 gun will shift to be a little more shotgun heavy for a while? One hit on rifle steel? :shrug:

It really really sucks that we've been riding this momentum of expansion (with the new berms and steel) to have to think about scaling back because of ammo. :mad54: But...what can you do? :shrug: (ride it out as best we can until the election while making sure a Dem isn't elected is my plan)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Next match is probably gonna be my 5.45 AR-15 with a C-More C3, too. Didn't want to chance it this match due to not having tested and chrono'd the GT 59gr in it yet. I watched some poor guy on my squad struggle with his AK-74 on the 200yd stage and don't really want to repeat his experience.

Another ammo idea is rimfire divisions... 75yds with a rimfire rifle isn't that tough. Plus those swingers aren't going to be so hard when you can't knock down the plate to start them. :D

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    As the last shooter of the last stage, I had to let it all hang out (it would be wrong not to, right?)...and that's what pushed me over the edge:o I was definitely wiped out the rest of the day...and not exactly leaping out of bed this morning either :innocent0

In an ideal world, I'd love to see 3 RO's per squad that would rotate duties so one was free to load mags, load shotgun, take water, catch breath, etc. while the other two were keeping everything rolling along. I know that's asking a lot.

Steel challenge isn't so bad, but 3-gun has more equipment logistics (especially when it's hot and you're trying to reload yourself on water). I found it tricky to go from running the timer right to grabbing my gear and shooting next. My Co-RO...well, of course he is younger and does everything fast...

How about this (once we have the staff #'s to do it): 2 official RO's on squad duty and one trained/certified RO who is "light duty" and just runs the timer when the 2 RO's shoot? Just a thought.

As to the ammo situation...ugh! That sucks. Even though I have a fair supply now (certainly an "arsenal" or "cache" by media standards :rolleyes:) I know I'm going to try to do some rationing to make it last. If Katie's schedule let's her get back into shooting, it's really going to shrink my "cache." I would expect some more of the dreaded rimfire showing up in steel challenge (I stocked up on a LOT of that after the last drought :innocent0). I haven't shopped for shotgun ammo lately...if birdshot is still seemingly available, maybe 3 gun will shift to be a little more shotgun heavy for a while? One hit on rifle steel? :shrug:

It really really sucks that we've been riding this momentum of expansion (with the new berms and steel) to have to think about scaling back because of ammo. :mad54: But...what can you do? :shrug: (ride it out as best we can until the election while making sure a Dem isn't elected is my plan)
    I think Mike will have more of an explanation but as I understand it we are still limited by how many people can be in a squad, and that includes ROs. For example, last week because there was such a wait list I wondered if it would be worth me not shooting and just being an RO. however Mike pointed out that I would just be taking up a spot as an RO and not being a shooter. Makes logistic sense under the current COVID rules.

Sent using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think Mike will have more of an explanation but as I understand it we are still limited by how many people can be in a squad, and that includes ROs. For example, last week because there was such a wait list I wondered if it would be worth me not shooting and just being an RO. however Mike pointed out that I would just be taking up a spot as an RO and not being a shooter. Makes logistic sense under the current COVID rules.

Sent using Tapatalk

I meant that the extra RO's would also be shooters, but...yeah, stupid Covid.:sad20:

My tendonitis was acting up for the last 3 gun (before yesterday), and I didn't feel confident that I could safely pick up and ground my shotgun. I offered to RO and not shoot, and, like he told you, Mike said it was a waste of a slot to have a non-shooter in the bay. I get it...stupid Covid:sad20:

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I meant that the extra RO's would also be shooters, but...yeah, stupid Covid.:sad20:

My tendonitis was acting up for the last 3 gun (before yesterday), and I didn't feel confident that I could safely pick up and ground my shotgun. I offered to RO and not shoot, and, like he told you, Mike said it was a waste of a slot to have a non-shooter in the bay. I get it...stupid Covid:sad20:
    In squad 3 during SC we had two ROs and myself shooting and RO as needed. Several others ran the tablets. VERY smooth....

Sent using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In squad 3 during SC we had two ROs and myself shooting and RO as needed. Several others ran the tablets. VERY smooth....

Sent using Tapatalk

It strikes me that everyone even vaguely interested in these events - at least with the less complicated SC - should take the 90 seconds or so to learn how to run the tablet so they can pitch in and relieve the ROs of at least that one little chore from time to time. Couldn't be simpler.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It strikes me that everyone even vaguely interested in these events - at least with the less complicated SC - should take the 90 seconds or so to learn how to run the tablet so they can pitch in and relieve the ROs of at least that one little chore from time to time. Couldn't be simpler.
    I pitched in by preloading my RO's shotgun. :)

I agree, though, that a quick tutorial on how to run the tablets would go pretty far in taking some of the weight off the ROs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom