Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    I own the following:

Colt 6721 Hbar AR-15A3
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga
    Remington 870 Express 12ga
    Ruger American 22lr Bolt Action
    CZ P-01 9mm

Used to deer hunt many years ago with a Winchester 94 30-30 (sold it, dumb) and would like to add a good all around hunting rifle but keeping in mind the recently increasing chances of SHTF. So something that could compliment the AR and serve some hunting duties if needed.

Hope that makes sense - Mike

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The M-94 doesn't lend itself to being scoped and at some point, I think we all will want to use an optic. Not only due to aging eyes, but there have also been at least three or four times that having a scope on a deer rifle allowed me to pick a spike out of a pack of does in a 'buck only' area and not go home empty handed. The equivalent Marlin, the M-336, has a drilled/tapped receiver, but it starts out heavier and then putting a scope on it kills the cheek weld and fast handling.

A hunting weight bolt gun in .308/7.62x51 is missing from your tool kit.

And/or, as EngineerBrian suggests, a deer-caliber upper for your AR. Two points though:
    1) Carrying an AR platform in the deer woods is a PIA, due to the balance point and sharp corners. I have carried AR-15s. AR-10s and a wide assortment of bolt guns and would not bother hunting with an AR again. The bolt gun is generally much more comfortable to carry.

2) Unless one who already uses .223/5.56 AR-15s has REAL plans to suppress it, I'd suggest that the .300BO upper is an unnecessary hazard. Firing a .300BO in a .223 can be done, has been done, and is catastrophic. Precautions to keep rifles and ammo properly segregated is crucial.

The 6.5 CM and other specialty calibers:
    A 6.5 CM and similar cartridges can be very effective hunting rounds (at almost any reasonable distance) and quite useful, *IF* chambered in a useful rifle.

The great popularity of long range rifles in very effective long range calibers right now belies the fact that it is getting increasingly hard to find a place to shoot it. Most people are limited to distances where a big, heavy target/tactical rifle is a waste. Few things are as boring as a 1,000 yard rifle at 200 yards. A recurring comment among former long range precision students was that they never shot their long range stuff any more due to lack of venue. About the only thing harder to find a place to shoot is a .50BMG.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I own the following:

Colt 6721 Hbar AR-15A3
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga
    Remington 870 Express 12ga
    Ruger American 22lr Bolt Action
    CZ P-01 9mm

Used to deer hunt many years ago with a Winchester 94 30-30 (sold it, dumb) and would like to add a good all around hunting rifle but keeping in mind the recently increasing chances of SHTF. So something that could compliment the AR and serve some hunting duties if needed.

Hope that makes sense - Mike

Any game heavier than deer in your future?

If so, and you're looking for one cartridge, a .30-06 bolt comes to mind.

If no to heavier game, but you're looking for a cartridge that is entirely deer capable, AND a cartridge that would be noticably more comfortable than '06 to shoot for extended periods off a bench? AND you perhaps see yourself doing that? Plus you don't handload, so you want reasonably priced factory ammo, and you would see value in your cartridge choice being long range capable?

I'd nowadays join a lot of others in looking at 6.5 Creedmoor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    An AR9 and a Savage 220 bolt shotgun. Slugs are hell on the human structure as well as deer. We use them in rifle counties. They're as accurate as rifles out to 200 yds and beyond.
    9mm for close in work.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The great popularity of long range rifles in very effective long range calibers right now belies the fact that it is getting increasingly hard to find a place to shoot it.

That's a good point; if you get a 6.5 Creedmoor or similar, when will you ever get a chance to shoot it at distance where it really shines? The 308 has a little more kick but makes a bigger hole.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Ruger Scout Rifle in .308. It’s magazine fed so you can have the 10 round capacity when you need it, or just carry a few rounds for hunting. It’s short and very maneuverable. I wish I didn’t sell mine.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    If you lean towards the AR.....do an AR-10. Or you could try this sexy thing..................Thompson Center LRR 6.5 Creedmoor. And it's reasonably priced IMO.

Attachments

• LRR.PNG
      LRR.PNG
      8 KB · Views: 328

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    10-22...if SHTF, and facing superior numbers, you'll need suppressive fire. People won't attempt to figure out how lethal the cartridge is as it zips past their heads, they'll tend to just run for cover, perhpas giving you enough opportunity to live to fight another day. One can easily carry 1K rounds of .22, unlike most other cartridges. Plus it's a good all-around small game hunting cartridge.

Just my $0.02

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I always felt that a lever action 357 paired with a 357 revolver and a 12 gauge coach gun would be a good all around set up.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    An AR10 in .308 would be my suggestion. Common cartridge, effective enough for all your purposes. Adaptable to whatever configuration you're comfortable using.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    A levergun in .44 mag or similar would allow use in all counties (if straight wall use is official). You then have the option to shoot specials too.

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    I always felt that a lever action 357 paired with a 357 revolver and a 12 gauge coach gun would be a good all around set up.

I like this idea a lot. I was thinking of adding another handgun to the mix as well, thinking possibly Glock 26/43 or Sig P365...but maybe a S&W in 357 mag would be the better option.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Funny you should ask. Saw this review in Outdoor World a few months back. Interesting article comparing caliber, action, weight, length. I thing it was in January or February. Gotta learn how to post a link and not just a photo.

Attachments

• 71696C65-700B-4598-BAAB-DFC6F9B6A22E.jpg
      71696C65-700B-4598-BAAB-DFC6F9B6A22E.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom